Carrying in a national park

not2sharp

Platinum Member
I am hoping to visit several national parks this summer while I can still enjoy them. The Smokey Mountains is likely one of these. I haven’t been there in years and wanted to get the latest scoop on what they allow visitors to carry. As far as I can tell from the review of their website: long guns are out ( which is fine - I have no interest in carrying one), concealed handguns are ok (provided you have a conceal carry permit, reciprocity, and you keep it out of park buildings), bear spray is recommended. But, I see no commentary on knives beyond the “weapons” restrictions within park buildings. I know wilderness fires, camping, wood harvesting, and trailblazing is strictly (understandably) forbidden/controlled within the parks, but would still like to carry one for emergency use. We all know how useful they can be in a wide range of situations.

Let’s discuss what you have done in these park and the extent that you were able to carry knives openly or concealed. I suspect the trick is in carrying something useful that does not trigger the multitude of people who visit these parks.

N2s

I've never had an issue in any park I've ever visited with folding pocket knives clipped to my right front pocket.
I don't give it a second thought, and worst case, if anybody ever said anything I'd put it back in my car.
it would highly doubtful that you would get a second look from anybody with a basic EDC pocket knife in any of the rural park settings unless you were doing something stupid.

some of the monuments, historic sites, or other properties that are managed by the NPS are probably a different story

If you don’t do anything stupid, I see no issues!! Plain and simple!! 👍
Unless there is a metal detector!! 😂😂
John 😁

You could call the National Park Service and/or the headquarters of the specific parks you will visit. I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions directly.

In general, it's probably best to comply with the laws of whatever state you'll be in and follow the other golden rule: don't be a dumbass. If you're visiting/camping in a national park you'll probably be unbothered when carrying and using any pocketknife and/or a reasonable fixed blade. But, if you're swaggering around the visitor center with a 12-inch Bowie on your belt you'll likely attract some unwanted attention.

I've carried all sorts of pocketknives and fixed blades around national parks in Texas, Arizona, and Colorado without issue. Eastern parks may be less lenient, but I don't have experience there.

I went to Saulte Ste. Marie with my daughter to check out the Soo Locks. The guard notice the Buck 186 on my belt and told me to put it in my car. I don’t know if he thought I was going to damage the locks or high jack an ore boat.

Last edited:
Back