CBSA (Canadian border services agency) cracking down on folders entering Canada

It has nothing to do with the locking mechanism.

If the knife can be opened one-handed by flicking it open, it cannot be imported into Canada or brought across the border.

SAKs are perfectly fine
Thanks for clarifying. I think I’ll just bring a SAK and a giant fixed blade. Anyone know what the law is in Canada regarding open or concealed carry of a fixed blade? Does it vary by province?

So what would happen if I take my Sebenza on a camping trip to the USA. Upon my return they can seize it?
I think you should be fine with a Sebenza... but technically they could.

Since a lot of the Canadian retailers are still able to get knives in stock, the biggest change for me is warranty. I got multiple broken knives just sitting in a drawer... I either view the knife as disposable or for more expensive knives the company must ship replacement parts to Canada. Honestly, the whole CBSA thing has rather become a hassle so I rarely purchase knives the past few years.

So what would happen if I take my Sebenza on a camping trip to the USA. Upon my return they can seize it?

If it can be flicked open, then it is subject to seizure.

Of course, CBSA may not even ask if you have a knife. They may ask if you have any weapons, but a knife is NOT a weapon, it is a tool. That's a dangerous game of semantics you are playing with CBSA however.

It is not worth taking the chance taking a valuable knife out of Canada, that may be seized upon your return.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. I think I’ll just bring a SAK and a giant fixed blade. Anyone know what the law is in Canada regarding open or concealed carry of a fixed blade? Does it vary by province?

There is no size or type limit regarding fixed blades across Canada. They may be openly carried.

NOTHING may be carried for the purpose of self defense. If you choose to carry concealed, you may have more explaining to do if you are ever stopped and questioned. If you are carrying a knife, it is a TOOL and nothing more.

I would suggest that you have a good reason for carrying one openly in such a manner when walking downtown on Main Street, however. While not illegal, you will most definitely draw unwanted attention.

Last edited:
If it can be flicked open, then it is subject to seizure.

Of course, CBSA may not even ask if you have a knife. They may ask if you have any weapons, but a knife is NOT a weapon, it is a tool. That's a dangerous game of semantics you are playing with CBSA however.

It is not worth taking the chance taking a valuable knife out of Canada, that it may be seized upon your return.

It was tongue in cheek, but to be honest…as a free man with rights, I should not have to worry about this at all.
It is an interpretation of the CBSA law (not Canadian law) and CBSA should be the first ones to stand against this. 100%

Apparently. Of course, you'd have to be searched at the border in the first place, which isn't a given. Solution is to tighten the pivot enough so that both hands are required to open it.

All this nonsense was started with a guy who went to the tribunal to fight for a Kershaw Skyline.
He should have won, but lost on a technicality. A WORD.
Semantics was started with the CBSA who refuses to admit they were wrong and has now spiralled it out of control.
Who is going to start the righting of wrongs?

Ah, that's your first mistake my friend.

As I referenced above, Canadians don't have rights - we have "privileges". We have no constitution that grants any rights.

So what does the charter of rights and freedoms mean to you?

So what does the charter of rights and freedoms mean to you?

It's not what it means to me - it's what it means to The Courts. And personal experience and past history has shown that it means very, very little.

While we have independence, we are still very much a monarchy and subject to the those established rules, and the "privileges" (not rights) it offers.

I think we are past that point. All we can try to do is not let things get any worse.....

The biggest issue is that once something in Canada is enforced, it is extremely hard to go backwards.

Sucks, but it is the reality.

It's not what it means to me - it's what it means to The Courts. And personal experience and past history has shown that it means very, very little.

I agree. And just to ease this convo…I’m not looking for an argument…just food for thought. :)

I think we are past that point. All we can try to do is not let things get any worse.....

I disagree…I think that it should be started with the people in power. The CBSA agents. It would be hard to overlook. :)

There is no size or type limit regarding fixed blades across Canada. They may be openly carried.

NOTHING may be carried for the purpose of self defense. If you choose to carry concealed, you may have more explaining to do if you are ever stopped and questioned. If you are carrying a knife, it is a TOOL and nothing more.

I would suggest that you have a good reason for carrying one in such a manner when walking downtown on Main Street, however. While not illegal, you will most definitely draw unwanted attention.
You cannot carry a weapon, of any kind. But what define a weapon is the intended use. In the case on knives, police have been known to try and trick you into admitting that something you are carrying could be used defensively; if you fall into that trap, you just admitted to the possession of a weapon, so you basically signed your arrest warrant yourself. Same goes for walking stick and bear spray.

And to their defence. I have had lots of knives “examined” at CBSA and repackaged up and sent to me. Which I am fully ok with, that is their job.
I don’t try to bring anything illegal into Canada so I’ve never worried.
And if any of these CBSA agents are reading this…thank you for using common sense. Much much appreciated.

Back