Review Chinese SAK put to the test

old4570

Banned By Request
Aaaargh ! I saw a $5.87 Ozzi Bananas SAK from China & I just had to buy it . It's been maybe (?) half a decade to 1 decade since buying my last one .
And that CSAK has been in the Boot ( trunk ) of my car since buying it .
Anyways . onto this new one .
A) Poorly put together - Fair amount of SLOP ! Not horrible & not good either .
B) Mystery Steel , but thicker than the previous buy ( More meat so to speak )
C) Main blade was a butter knife
D) Scissors cut paper ( Yay ..... ? )
E) Saw , it was dull , poorly made .. & I sharpened it a little ( A little ) Otherwise it may not have cut anything at all ..
F) I sharpened the main blade as well , and it was hard to make it sharp ... The edge seemed to just roll over one way and then the other .. So making a sharp edge was a little tricky ..

Rope Slice = I was so impressed sharpening the knife I decided to cut back the testing to every 10 slices .. After the first 10 slices there was some dulling ..
After the 2nd 10 slices the blade just barely past the paper slice test .. So I cut back to 5 slices & at 25 slices the edge had rolled over enough to fail ..
A quick wood strop seemed to confirm a 25Roller ...

Saw test = I though about sawing thru gumtree .. And then thought better of it ! I have some soft wood on hand .
And it was a chore , the saw just kept binding and dragging .. Making for sore hands .. ( Tight grip )
Oh sure , I made it thru the soft wood ..
Butt & it's a big butt ! The Victorinox went thru that soft wood easy and without hand fatigue .

If you truly despise some one or want to play a cruel joke on them ? The Chinese SAK might be an ideal gift !
For you the reader , I suggest the real deal .
Ok , it only cost 6 Bananas . But it's a joke of a knife ! If you really went bush with it (?) It could be more of a liability than an asset !

Last edited:
Thanks for review, I've ordered one for all the folks I know that can't be trusted šŸ˜

Is this typical of new SAK copies made in China because my impression is it's getting harder to find stuff on the scale of old school PRC garbage these days. They currently make a lot stuff real good and sometimes sell at a profit loss as an investment in putting other companies abroad out of business.

I would not be surprised if they can be made just as good or better in China for a lot less money. It is an old design not much different than a typical American classic slip joint pocket knife.

I still would buy an original regardless. Real Swiss army knives are tried and true proof that you don't need super steels and over the roof expensive quality with gimmicks to make what are known as some of the worlds most useful pocket knives.

Last edited:
Back