Closed, PRE-ORDER, 2023 BASIC 5

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This will open at 5:00 Eastern time today, Friday 11th

It is my intention to leave this open for one week, or until 350 are spoken for, whichever comes first.

Due to limited quantities please limit your order to no more than THREE

Please post only one time to this thread. Please do not make multiple posts or chat. If you need to change something, edit your post, don't add an additional post. This is my order list and it needs to stay simple and uncluttered or it isn't going to work.

This is a pre-order. There are no proxies in pre-orders.

You probably shouldn't even order a knife in this pre-order unless you're wanting a special configuration. Pre-orders are a bad idea in general. I recommend you just wait for the normal sales which will probably start around the end of the year.

If you place an order in this thread I'm only committing to ship before the end of next year.

If you send multiple emails to Jo asking "where's my knife, where's my knife!!!" before the end of next summer I will personally put a booger in the box when we ship it.

Please read and understand the knife and the ordering process before ordering. I will post some disclaimers in a second post after this one. Please do not order anything until you have read those disclaimers and contemplated how they apply to you. If you're international and your knife is lost or confiscated by customs, I'm sorry but there is nothing that I can do about that and the risk for this falls on you, the buyer. If that doesn't work for you, please do not get in on this order.

Here are some pictures of the original OG Basic 5 (what it won't look like)

uhRDNnU.jpg

RUsmtqr.jpg

lCPCQIi.jpg

v9KqzmI.jpg

Here are some cool pictures of the OG Basic 5

57Msj7S.jpg

9RsudoB.jpg

rhJzBMi.jpg

SCAYH8c.jpg

(pictures used without permission)

The 2023 Basic 5 (second production run) is very similar to the original, with a few minor changes.
The signature location is changed
The sharpening notch is tweaked
The primary grinds are a little thinner (the OG was developed for Amazon, this second production run is for you guys)
The primary grinds will be finished to a higher standard than the OG build (again, this second run is for you guys)

These are Utility Field Grade, milled and tumbled with visible tool and grind marks.

This new run of our classic Field Knife pattern is a fantastic and well thought out tool knife with a best-in-class balance of cutting ability, durability and edge retention. The blade and grip are well thought out and will perform in the many grips used by a tradesman, and bush crafter. This is an excellent value for a high quality cutting tool that will perform reliably for a lifetime with well above average durability and edge retention.

Specs:
CPM 3V, Delta Heat treat protocol, 60.5 HRC, .188" thick at ricasso, sharpened 20 DPS.
Total length 10.4"
Blade length 5.5"
Weight 10.2 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in your choice of black or natural micarta
18-8 stainless steel fasteners

Mashed Cat sheaths with semi rigid drop loop are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made. TecLok available upon request.

Here's a video of the original Basic 5:

These are all field grade, milled, ground and tumbled with some tool and grind marks.

Basic vanilla configuration, with sheath, $305 in canvas micarta, black or natural. <--- This is a fantastic value and it is the configuration that I recommend.

Shipping in the USA is $14. Multiple knives do not accrue additional shipping.

Expensive additional options that you maybe shouldn't buy:

Acid wash $50
Coarse Ghetto Satin ground primary bevels $50
Shiny machined 6-4 (high strength grade 5) Titanium fasteners (6) $20
Shiny machined 6-4 (high strength grade 5) Titanium fasteners (6) that are pretty and blue $30

Make my Basic 5 a Signature Series FK3 Field Knife $115
(jimping on the thumb ramp, weight reduction skeletonization in the tang, swedged blade)

Apply a satin grind to my FK3: $150
(satin grind available on FK3 only)

Scales, substitute for basic micarta:
Black Linen micarta $10
Double Black canvas micarta $10
OD green micarta $10
Blue canvas "micarta" $20
Double Black Linen micarta $20
Double "Red" canvas micarta (maroon color) $20
Tri-Color Canvas micarta $20
Burlap micarta $20
Scarlet Linen micarta $30
Blue Linen micarta $30
Double Red and Black Linen micarta $30
Vintage micarta (International Paper) $30
Crusty Vintage (International Paper) micarta $50
OD green or Black G10 $10
Terotuf (grey or bright green or OD green) $20
Edge cut antique Micarta (appears to be Westinghouse) $125
Mystery wood (prolly something really crappy like reclaimed carpet tack strips) $150

Here is the order process:

I'm going to take full payment non-refundable in advance. Once your order is confirmed there are no refunds, changes or cancellations other than accommodations for change of address.

These will ship as they're finished in mostly the order that they are ordered in this thread. As I'm building them, half of them will go to this pre-order and the other half will be sold in regular sales. This means you will see knives being sold while you're waiting for yours.

If you're ordering a knife in this pre-order: post in this thread first and then send an email to Jo at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com with this subject line: "Basic5 preorder" and include your post# in that subject line.

Please include the following information in your email:

1: Your post number on this pre-order thread.

2: Bladeforums name. (for example "Jo the Machinist")

3: Real Name.

4: PayPal email address so we can send a paypal invoice (or ask about other payment options)

5: Shipping address.

Once we receive this information, if everything is there, Jo will send you a PayPal invoice. If information is missing or you have additional questions, Jo will reply to your email. When your email is read and processed we will send you a reply letting you know we've received your information.

Please pay your paypal invoice within one month, otherwise we will need to cancel your order.

Jo, Bo, Mark, Ben, Tanto and I appreciate all of your continued interest in our work and your support.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Disclaimer:

The first production run of Basic 5 had a pretty crude and basic finish. This next run is going to be made to our normal standards. But those standards do include visible tool and grind marks. We're making tools here, not wall art.

I'm going to try to start shipping these by the end of this year, but it may be the end of next year before they're all shipped out. I'll do my best, but if you need a tight deadline guarantee, this sale may not be for you.

Sometimes we will run into unexpected problems like a material shortage or an issue with some material that can make us late or even give refunds if a problem is bad enough, like our recent problems with the MC DEK3s. We might have a handle scale material not work out or run short and need to offer you an alternative etc.

If you are overseas and your order gets lost or stolen, please understand that this is out of our control and there really isn't anything we can do about it. You won't get a refund or a replacement. Once your package leaves our shop, there is nothing more we can do. If this risk of total and uncompensated loss doesn't work for you, please do not place an order here. There is an increased risk with shipping knives overseas and we are not able to assume that risk.

Other things of note:
The antique micarta appears to be Westinghouse, although the material we're working with has already been converted into a machined shape and there are no labels left on it. Some of it is streaky, most of it is dark brown. If you have a preference (streaky or solid dark brown) please let Jo know in your order and we will try to accommodate. But ultimately, it's an unpredictable naturally occurring color variation and you get what you get.

The vintage micarta is labeled International Paper. Westinghouse sold out to them before they eventually sold the micarta name to Norplex who has it today. I don't like Norplex micarta, I usually use Accurate Acculam because I have found it to be more consistent and dimensionally stable and it is made here in America (not all Norplex micarta is US material). However, the best micarta ever made was the original Westinghouse. This old International Paper is pretty similar to the original Westinghouse, but without the huge price tag. You can tell by looking at the load meter on the machine while milling it and also looking at how hard and translucent the phenolic is and how well the fibers are saturated, which becomes obvious when polishing it. This old IP Micarta is very good stuff and it's finally an affordable option to get you the best material available in your hands without the insane price tag of Westinghouse. This material isn't as old and the colors aren't as deep. We are sawing up thick monoliths of it and, while some of the material has some interesting color streaks that have developed in it, most of the material is still a natural micarta color. If you want a piece that came from the outside you can pay extra for "crusty" and get the piece that came from the outside edge for a little extra visual interest.

Our titanium hardware serves no purpose other than it looks cool. The weight savings is inconsequential. You should probably stick to regular stainless, it's fine.

Double phone score today. If I was a betting man I may trust a condom from the gas station wall given my luck today...

In for 3 with details to come. Want to keep the count straight for everyone.

8/16 invoiced

9/8 paid

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go with two please:

1. Basic with unbuffed blue canvas micarta and shiny blue titanium fasteners

2. Basic with buffed crusty vintage micarta with lots of streaks please

8/16 paid

Last edited by a moderator:
Back