Cobra Class 4 packages

Trying to decide between the standard and premium package. Seems the premium adds these things:
  • Double Toe Presser Foot $77*
  • Right Toe Presser Foot $71.50*
  • Work Platform $104.50*
  • Ten Size 25 7X4 Leather Point Needles $20.90*
  • Ten Size 24 7X4 Leather Point Needles $20.90*
  • Ten Size 23 7X4 Leather Point Needles $20.90*
  • One Spool of Thread $10*
  • Holster Plate $148.50*
  • Stirrup Plate $148.50*
  • Slotted Plate $77*
  • Blanket Set (Inside & Outside Feet w/ Feed Dog) $137.50*
  • Heavy Duty Roller Edge Guide $104.50*
Ive been using a Boss for a few years making sheaths, holsters, belts and some other things occasionally. Will I need the other stuff? Dont want to pay the extra $500 if i dont need them. If so, just curious what a holster plate and slotted plate are and how they are used

I went with the basic package and have never missed not having those extras. My understanding on the holster plate is that it is for sewing pre molded holster parts together. I make lots of holsters but I'm not sewing pre molded parts together so I wasn't interested in it. I also was considering the double toe presser foot as that is what I was use to. But I learned very quickly to use the single one that comes with it. Ya love that machine and the service is legendary.

When I went to pick up my Cobra 4 at their office/shop they had assumed I wanted the deluxe package although when setting up the sppointment we hadn't talked about options. They had my machine all built and set up and gave me some lessons on it. It was no big deal when I told them I wanted the basic package. I just was never sure what I was gonna use all those other things for. And in retrospect of some few years now have never needed one of those things. They loaded my machine in the back of the truck for me and strapped er down.. Fortunately had a VERY strong neighbor across the way to help with the unloading.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, always appreciate your experience. I was thinking the textured presser may be needed for stitching nylon webbing/leashes but not sure, the roller guide for belts, and the table might be handy for doing chaps or other large flat items. The upgrade cost for just those 3 is worth the money. Just wasnt sure how much Id need them, or if i would need them

Thanks Dave, always appreciate your experience. I was thinking the textured presser may be needed for stitching nylon webbing/leashes but not sure, the roller guide for belts, and the table might be handy for doing chaps or other large flat items. The upgrade cost for just those 3 is worth the money. Just wasnt sure how much Id need them, or if i would need them
Ya bet. Don't know anything about the textured foot. I've not sewn anything other than leather on mine. I do have the roller guide. I thought it would be the cats meow for sewing things like reins etc. I tried it a couple of times and put it in the drawer, years ago. I found it inhibitive in fact. Kinda screwed up my project a couple of times. I have my 4 set up at the end of a 4'x8' workbench. I just flop whatever up on that if I need too. Bout the same height as the 4's cylinder arm. I normally don't use the 4 for much chap work. Mostly for sewing belts on. Like here in this pic. The belt was sewn on on the 4 everything else was done on the 18:

XB4hD4H.jpg

I use the 4 because sometimes you are going through four layers of leather and other times 3.

I did recently use it, for all the sewing on a pair of chaps I made a guy. But that was because the leather was so heavy and stiff. This is the same leather used for farrier chaps and I sew those on the 4 too:

DwGuvpO.jpg

He was looking for a leather that was so stiff that when he squatted down like on a calf at a branding the chaps would hold him up like a chair. We achieved that. But mostly I use our 18 on chaps.

Back