Counterfeit, anyone?

Also, can someone tell me how I could identify this as real or fake? The markings on the ricasso and the slight gap? The sheath? The box?

m76845657828_1.jpg

m76845657828_3.jpg

m76845657828_6.jpg

m76845657828_8.jpg

m76845657828_9.jpg
1. Incorrect markings.
2. Poor fit/finish (gaps, rounded corners, etc).
3. No lamination line when claimed to be San Mai.
4. Skull crusher pommel isn't quite right...should be pointier.
4. Incorrect sheath. Poor quality and should have a snap, not velcro.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Well before I read this thread they could have fooled me, and they did! Fortunately for me the proxy service (Japan) cancelled the transaction (fake MT II) saying it was already sold and another transaction (fake MT IX) saying it was prohibited for international shipping, so I dodged two bullets! Then I came back here after many years and discovered there are fake ones. I am familiar with counterfeits in the world of watches, but I usually would never buy a watch that attracts the attention of cloners. I guess I underestimated how popular Cold Steel is/was.

Sure, but at some point someone has bought it and might sell it on in the West or elsewhere in Asia, like this knife.
It won't be via dhgate or similar platform, trust me.

Thanks for the clarification. Well before I read this thread they could have fooled me, and they did! Fortunately for me the proxy service (Japan) cancelled the transaction (fake MT II) saying it was already sold and another transaction (fake MT IX) saying it was prohibited for international shipping, so I dodged two bullets! Then I came back here after many years and discovered there are fake ones. I am familiar with counterfeits in the world of watches, but I usually would never buy a watch that attracts the attention of cloners. I guess I underestimated how popular Cold Steel is/was.
It is tremendously popular among fakers. Tons of models were and are being faked. I have also noticed that, after GSM purchased Cold Steel, many more models became available at chinese platforms, even those that never been countereited before, like Broken Skull. Seems like GSM moved production to cheaper chinese factories, who immediately leaked everything they could get their hands on to the fakers. Sad but true.

It is tremendously popular among fakers. Tons of models were and are being faked. I have also noticed that, after GSM purchased Cold Steel, many more models became available at chinese platforms, even those that never been countereited before, like Broken Skull. Seems like GSM moved production to cheaper chinese factories, who immediately leaked everything they could get their hands on to the fakers. Sad but true.
They probably didn't "leak" the info, it maybe the "4th shift." The Chinese have zero honor when it comes to industry. The factory contracted to make your product will make your product and run counterfeit production lines right along side the legitimate one. It could be the exact same product, or a copy using inferior materials with lesser quality control. Everything China manufacturers was stolen from someone else and, because of this specialization, they have truly become experts in reverse engineering and can make extraordinary products if made to.

I can see why people are sad about the fate of Cold Steel. I only ever had the one Gurkha Kukri that I don't even use, so I'm not invested in the brand or the quality, but I get the sentiment. It does make it more fun to hunt for older knives in good condition for the right price. I enjoy hunting for discontinued watches more than I do wearing them!

The Broken Skull was being counterfeited in China before the move to GSM, and the real ones have always been made in Taiwan. I can’t think of any Cold Steel models that have switched from Taiwan to China manufacturing since the move to GSM.

They probably didn't "leak" the info, it maybe the "4th shift." The Chinese have zero honor when it comes to industry. The factory contracted to make your product will make your product and run counterfeit production lines right along side the legitimate one.
Yeah, right... I personally feel that this story is at least a rare case, but more of a complete disinformation initially made up by fake makers/sellers. Never seen a fake as good as original. Also, if you look for them on chinese platforms mentioned above, you'll see that same people make dozens of different brands. And yeah, if you ask them, they'll tell you anything they think might be appropriate to tell, appropriate profit-wise of course. I've been told by some of them that they are the original manufacturers of, for example, Extrema Ratio. When I pointed that ER are made in Italy, answer was "yes". Then I said "how can you be the manufacturer then, if you are in China?". They replied with "yes, we are manufacturers". You can get such nonsense from any of them.

The Broken Skull was being counterfeited in China before the move to GSM
I have never seen them before the said events, and I am monitoring such things for many years now.
I can’t think of any Cold Steel models that have switched from Taiwan to China manufacturing since the move to GSM.
Yes, that didn't happen, yet. But I bet that China line is now being made by different factory. It is a fact - many old CS models suddenly appeared there after the GSM purchase.

Whether you believe it or not doesn't matter, but it does happen. I don't know about knives but the Chicoms do it with plenty of stuff. I use to deal with intellectual property rights and counterfeiting in my job. Think about it though, what an easy way to make counterfeits. Have Cold Steel set up your assembly line, train your employees, give you all the information. You then use crappy steel and cheap plastic to make the same product on the night shift. They do it with all sorts of things.

Out of curiosity, were these fake CS Tantos from a Seller in Japan? Or just the shipping proxy service?
I ask because these Tantos are illegal to sell or possess in Japan and while you can buy all the other Cold Steel knives,
the Tantos are not carried.

Out of curiosity, were these fake CS Tantos from a Seller in Japan? Or just the shipping proxy service?
I ask because these Tantos are illegal to sell or possess in Japan and while you can buy all the other Cold Steel knives,
the Tantos are not carried.
These fake ones are listed in Japan on populair auction sites.

Why would these tantos be illegal in Japan?

Last edited:
These fake ones are listed in Japan on populair auction sites.

Why would these tantos be illegal in Japan?
After the 2008 Akihabara knife incident, in a bit of a kneejerk reaction, the laws were amended to prohibit the sale and possession of daggers (double edged) and Tantos.

You can buy just about any Cold Steel knife in Japan, excluding daggers and tantos,

Surprised this item was up for auction as Yahoo Auction is pretty strict. But others like Aucfan is not.

Last edited:
I am having a lot of trouble buying knives via proxies though. One time they approved, the second time, same type of knife, they said it was prohibited for international shipping. That is probably BS, but it seems they might be worried about having it in their warehouse? Possession is illegal maybe, but does that make selling it and shipping it abroad illegal? Are these people supposed to throw their stuff in the trash or bring it to the police station?

We'll see what happens. I'm trying a different proxy for the second knife, to see how they handle it. I might lose some money, but at least I will know.

The other proxy allowed me to bid because they don't check for prohibited items until after you won, and they make you responsible, but the auction got cancelled an hour before it ended. Maybe because it sold in the store or on another website, or maybe someone reported it. Buying knives in Japan seems to be cursed though.

Meanwhile the fake Tantos are still on Yahoo and they get relisted every other day even if people have bid on them. Plenty of real Cold Steel knives on there though, some that are supposedly illegal. What a bummer.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I see traditional tantos for sale everywhere. I can't imagine they all have a permit.

Yes it is far more complicated. Unfortunately the link you quoted is incorrect on many points. Rather common on English sites purporting to explain Knife Laws in Japan. The blade length of 15cm applies to Nihonto (Japanese swords). Traditional Tantos fall under this category of Nihonto They can be sold and posessed provided that an ownership permit is obtained, which must be carried with the sword/knife at all times.

Nihonto rules are separate from rules for knives, Until 2009, Tantos such as Cold Steel were simply classed as knives because they did not meet the standards of a traditional tanto. Namely that the blade can be removed by taking out the mekugi in the nakago. The same manner in which all Japanse swords are taken apart. Full tang knives that merely had a blade in a "tanto shape" were not included.

Japan is a "lawful purpose to carry" country. There is no "legal length" for everyday carry, You can only carry a knife for outdoor activites (hunting,fishing,hiking.camping etc) or if a kitchen knife, to and from work if a chef or kitchen worker, or from a purchase or to and from a sharpening. The blade length only determines whether you can get charged under the Gun & Sword Law, or a Minor Offense which has a much lower penalty, if your knife happens to be under 6 cm in blade length.

Last edited:
I am having a lot of trouble buying knives via proxies though. One time they approved, the second time, same type of knife, they said it was prohibited for international shipping. That is probably BS, but it seems they might be worried about having it in their warehouse? Possession is illegal maybe, but does that make selling it and shipping it abroad illegal? Are these people supposed to throw their stuff in the trash or bring it to the police station?

We'll see what happens. I'm trying a different proxy for the second knife, to see how they handle it. I might lose some money, but at least I will know.

Tantos and Daggers are illegal to posess and to sell. That's why you won;t see them being sold on Knife Dealer's sites or on Amazon Japan or Rakuten.
But you will see them on Aucfan. I'm sure the proxies you used were aware of the risks.

As an aside, Ichiro Hattori manufactured the Cold Steel SM III Tantos as well as the Taipan from 2007 to 2015, When the laws made those models illegal he applied for a speciall permit that allowed him to manufature them strictly for export. It added an additional cost and extra hassle.

People are supposed to hand in their now illegal knives. Some do, some don't. Pretty much the same as anywhere.

Last edited:
Well the big knife I was bidding on has just been relisted, so I don't know why they felt the need to cancel it one hour before the end. Maybe when they see a proxy is bidding, they pull it? I don't know what the heck is going on.

I avoid eBay like the plague because of counterfeits, because of the insane prices for real items, and because they make buying from the USA very unattractive. So I'm stuck waiting for things to pop up locally (which is rare).

Well the big knife I was bidding on has just been relisted, so I don't know why they felt the need to cancel it one hour before the end. Maybe when they see a proxy is bidding, they pull it? I don't know what the heck is going on.

I avoid eBay like the plague because of counterfeits, because of the insane prices for real items, and because they make buying from the USA very unattractive. So I'm stuck waiting for things to pop up locally (which is rare).
Where are you located?
Ebay is indeed loaded with counterfeits and I make it a policy to never buy any knife in present production from there. However, with vintage and discontinued knives often trhere is no alternative. It just calls for studying the knife and being cautious.

Where are you located?
Ebay is indeed loaded with counterfeits and I make it a policy to never buy any knife in present production from there. However, with vintage and discontinued knives often trhere is no alternative. It just calls for studying the knife and being cautious.
I'm in The Netherlands. There are plenty of CS collectors here, and sometimes they sell them on our version of Craig's List so it is mostly a matter of patience. For example right now there is an old logo Spartan for €100.

Meanwhile my "illegal" big CS knife has arrived at the proxy's warehouse, but I see a status that I've never had before, and I can't actually consolidate it with other packages or ship it. I guess they noticed the illegal status and are keeping it in limbo for now. They approved the auction however, so I expect them to refund me if they decide to bin it.

I'm in The Netherlands. There are plenty of CS collectors here, and sometimes they sell them on our version of Craig's List so it is mostly a matter of patience. For example right now there is an old logo Spartan for €100.

Meanwhile my "illegal" big CS knife has arrived at the proxy's warehouse, but I see a status that I've never had before, and I can't actually consolidate it with other packages or ship it. I guess they noticed the illegal status and are keeping it in limbo for now. They approved the auction however, so I expect them to refund me if they decide to bin it.
I see. I can only wish you the best of luck, that they will ship your knife to you, and that it's authentic of course.

Back