CPK Kephart

The Kephart arrived today and surprisingly, I really like the feel of the handle (smooth and thin). It's going to be a good fire-building knife.

But, the spine doesn't seem to be very sharp. Has anyone tried a fire steel with the CPK Kephart?

And, are there any easy options out there for a belt loop to attach to the Kydex sheath?

These are favorites with many of us:

Perfect. That'll do. Looks like he might have a fire steel loop to grab as well.

Thanks.

The Kephart arrived today and surprisingly, I really like the feel of the handle (smooth and thin). It's going to be a good fire-building knife.

But, the spine doesn't seem to be very sharp. Has anyone tried a fire steel with the CPK Kephart?

And, are there any easy options out there for a belt loop to attach to the Kydex sheath?

It might be an unpopular opinion but I do not like using my knife to strike fires. The edge will do in a pinch and won't be hurt by ferro rods; otherwise, I carry dedicated strikers.

It might be an unpopular opinion but I do not like using my knife to strike fires. The edge will do in a pinch and won't be hurt by ferro rods; otherwise, I carry dedicated strikers.

Agreed, and it's great to hear someone else say it.

And just to pile on to the bushcrafty heresies, I consider ferro rods an absolute last resort. God invented the Bic for a reason.

Film canisters with vaseline soaked cotton balls.

When I lived up north, I'd collect birch bark while I hiked to use later that evening, especially if it was going to be wet.
I lamented the demise of 35mm film, for the canisters, then learned that they sell packs of empty film canisters on Amazon.

Another one of those good backup items, because if you’re restricted to gross motor skills from falling through ice etc, you can stomp on those canisters to pop them open, even with cold, numb hands.

I lamented the demise of 35mm film, for the canisters, then learned that they sell packs of empty film canisters on Amazon.

Another one of those good backup items, because if you’re restricted to gross motor skills from falling through ice etc, you can stomp on those canisters to pop them open, even with cold, numb hands.
My days of sub-zero backpacking for a week or more in the Sierras, Adirondacks and White Mountains are behind me. I don't think I can handle the cold like I did back in the day. (Who am I kidding? I know I can't...)

Kephart is an interesting design. It is the first knife that cut me as result of its design :)

I was testing it in the kitchen and since cutting geometry is quite thick for what I was doing, I was resorting thumb push cuts to go through the material I was cutting. I left the blade on the cutting board and when I picked it again, I tried to do another thumb assisted push cut but the feeling I got from the swedge scared me as I thought I was pushing against the edge. Without checking the orientation of the blade, I switched the orientation and tried thumb assited push cut again and this time I was really pushing against the edge. As a result of this I got a nasty cut on my thumb. I think the swedge and symmetric handle design is a dangerous combination for careless users or regular users when they are careless :) :) Well I think it is safe to say I was much more careful when using the Kephart after that incident.

I use the exact same torch, but only if the ferro rod bests me, or if I’m lighting charcoal. Building a fire with ferro rods is fun.

They're certainly fun, and I use one from time to time just to keep in practice with it. But in a real emergency, where I absolutely need to get a fire going asap, and likely have limited manual dexterity, I really hope I've got more than a ferro rod on me.

What about a bow drill? This was fun. Good way to get good and warm before you even get a fire going ;)

e7SSO3k.jpg

Back