Differences in Becker coatings

Hey, just wondering what the difference was between the coatings and engravings of the new kabar Beckers. For example, I had heard that the bk4 and bk9 have different coatings and that the 4 is laser etched. Is this true? Also, how of their sheaths differ. I'm trying to decide between the two, and any input from owners would be a huge help.

All the Becker knives have the same coating. They recently changed the coating from a smooth coating to a rough textured coating and they also changed from stamped markings to laser etched markings. However it would be difficult to find a vendor that still has the smooth coating knives still in stock since the change was probably a year ago.

If you order a new Becker it will have the rough textured coating with laser engraved markings on it.

Yes, I have heard that many times before. :rolleyes: I will most likely end up with both the 9 and the 4 at the end. Due to it's amazing track record I'll most likely buy the 9 first. However, the machax just looks like a pound of fun :D

All the Becker knives have the same coating. They recently changed the coating from a smooth coating to a rough textured coating and they also changed from stamped markings to laser etched markings. However it would be difficult to find a vendor that still has the smooth coating knives still in stock since the change was probably a year ago.

If you order a new Becker it will have the rough textured coating with laser engraved markings on it.

I should have my full shipment of Beckers in by end of the week, but I've got one new BK15 that I've looked at. It appears that the laser engraving is just in the coating, and not in the metal, or at least not very deep. Can you verify if this is the case? If so, I'd assume this is why a lot of people recommend etching it some more yourself with mild acid before stripping so that the etching is more pronounced after the coating is stripped?

I should have my full shipment of Beckers in by end of the week, but I've got one new BK15 that I've looked at. It appears that the laser engraving is just in the coating, and not in the metal, or at least not very deep. Can you verify if this is the case? If so, I'd assume this is why a lot of people recommend etching it some more yourself with mild acid before stripping so that the etching is more pronounced after the coating is stripped?
Just went through this with another member: BK9-etching-help-appreciated. In it is also a link to the thread I did on etching my 16 with electricity and salt water. Good luck!

The etching is still visible after stripping but doesn't stand out as much and if you're going to sand the blade down any then you'll probably want to etch the engravings. The bottom two knives are laser engraved beckers right after stripping the new rough coating and I didn't etch either of them.

1456519_10151993639065219_438919003_n.jpg

I kept my original run BK9 in near mint condition for collecting purposes once I read about the new finish/marking version coming out. I believe some day it's going to be worth a respectable amount.

I kept my original run BK9 in near mint condition for collecting purposes once I read about the new finish/marking version coming out. I believe some day it's going to be worth a respectable amount.
I just bought a BK9 and I'm getting a kydex sheath. I have to say, and this is going to sound a bit weird, but I miss that rough traction coating on Becker knives. I don't think I'm going to be sanding it anytime soon. I've had a BK7 and I took some light-grit sandpaper, and smoothed out the rough finish, oiled it, and let it "cure" overnight and it came it pretty smooth with the finish still on it. Is it possible that the reason Beckers have the traction coating is because it's supposed to not "slide in too deep" into an enemy in combat, hence the traction coating? I mean it is supposed to be a "Combat Bowie" and the 7 is a "Fighting/Utility knife," so it's pretty rough stuff and on my BK9, it's on there pretty thick but I'm not complaining.

Back