Do you want to be on my mailing list?

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Howdy folks!

This is still early days for me in my knife making career, so there is still lots to do when it comes to sales and marketing. I've been focused 100% on building my skill set so that I can make knives that are worth buying, and I feel like I'm pretty much there at this point.

The way I've decided to do this knife making gig is to make what I want, and then sell it. There may be some instances of custom orders, but for now I would like to avoid doing that. I'm just not efficient enough yet to be able to fold that into my operations.

That said, I have a number of models which can be customized with regard to colours, handle materials etc. If you'd like to be on a mailing list as these knives become available, or as I get to them so that you can customize them somewhat, please DM me here with your email address.

I still have to figure out how to put a mailing list together but so far it looks pretty straightforward- I just need to set aside the time to do it. I'd like to also work on creating a 'newsletter' to send to people on my mailing list as well, with all my deep and extremely interesting thoughts šŸ˜‚ .

Thanks very much- I look forward to hearing from you!

ok, I think I've figured it out. I sent an email to most of the contacts that I have in gmail who I know for sure have done business with me in the past. If you've done business with me, and haven't received an email, drop me a line if you want on the list

hey folks, I just sent out my last email of the year.

the next email will be in mid January, and it'll be an important one for those of you who'd like one of my knives. So, if you have any inclination to own a Loriendesign knife in 2024, make sure to drop me a line to get yourself on that mailing list, if you aren't already on it.

Happy New Year, and all the best!!!

I've had a few peeps ask to be on my mailing list since the last email went it, and it occurred to me that this lil subbie of mine is a good place to back up the mailing list emails.
So here's a copy of the email I sent out last year ;)

Good New Year's Eve day to you!

Just wanted to drop you a line for two reasons;

1. To wish you the best for 2024!

2. Give you a heads up that I'll be sending out an order sheet in January

I've been working hard to develop some interesting and useful knife designs over the past year. Now, the knives within each model category will differ from each other somewhat, simply because they are made completely by hand- no cnc, no waterjet, just me and my portaband, drill press, belt grinder and heat treatment oven.

Additionally, I've been accumulating various handle materials, and have a decent stock of different options to choose from. All composites- man made materials. I am open to using natural materials supplied by you, but reserve the right to refuse if I think that material will not work for whatever reason.

I have prepared a number of heat treated blanks, in a few different steel alloys and thicknesses, ready to be turned into knives. I'll be able to provide pictures of a finished representative of each model, so that you'll know approximately what to expect. When the order sheet goes out, you'll have the opportunity to claim a knife, (or more than one if you like) and take delivery within the year.

There will be a requirement for a reasonable, non refundable down payment. However, if your knife takes more than a year from the time of your order, you'll have the option of having your deposit returned or to continue to wait until your order is complete. Each order will be entered into a queue, so the first knives spoken for will be the first knives which go into production. I'll likely be working in batches of 6 at a time, depending on whatever factors arise when the time comes to get going.

You'll be able to customize your knife. I'll provide various options of handle inventory that I have on hand. Most of these models can be hollow or flat ground, so you'll have that choice, too. Each knife will come with a handmade leather sheath, which can be coloured to your liking, and made for left hand dominant folk by request. Some customization options may come with an additional cost, so I'll provide a general price range for each model. Once a price has been quoted for your order and the down payment has been made, both the customizations and the price will be locked in.

So, there you have it in a nutshell. There's nothing to do right now, apart from enjoy yourself this New Year's eve, and keep your eye on your inbox in mid January. I'm going to keep this fair by opening up the order sheet to everyone on my mailing list at the same time, and upholding the first come, first served approach.

I appreciate your interest in my work, and look forward to working with you in the coming year. There are plenty of projects already on the bench, and I think I'll be very busy in 2024!

May good health and a positive outlook be the theme for you for 2024!

Kind regards, and cheers!
Lorien

I've had a few peeps ask to be on my mailing list since the last email went it, and it occurred to me that this lil subbie of mine is a good place to back up the mailing list emails.
So here's a copy of the email I sent out last year ;)

Good New Year's Eve day to you!

Just wanted to drop you a line for two reasons;

1. To wish you the best for 2024!

2. Give you a heads up that I'll be sending out an order sheet in January

I've been working hard to develop some interesting and useful knife designs over the past year. Now, the knives within each model category will differ from each other somewhat, simply because they are made completely by hand- no cnc, no waterjet, just me and my portaband, drill press, belt grinder and heat treatment oven.

Additionally, I've been accumulating various handle materials, and have a decent stock of different options to choose from. All composites- man made materials. I am open to using natural materials supplied by you, but reserve the right to refuse if I think that material will not work for whatever reason.

I have prepared a number of heat treated blanks, in a few different steel alloys and thicknesses, ready to be turned into knives. I'll be able to provide pictures of a finished representative of each model, so that you'll know approximately what to expect. When the order sheet goes out, you'll have the opportunity to claim a knife, (or more than one if you like) and take delivery within the year.

There will be a requirement for a reasonable, non refundable down payment. However, if your knife takes more than a year from the time of your order, you'll have the option of having your deposit returned or to continue to wait until your order is complete. Each order will be entered into a queue, so the first knives spoken for will be the first knives which go into production. I'll likely be working in batches of 6 at a time, depending on whatever factors arise when the time comes to get going.

You'll be able to customize your knife. I'll provide various options of handle inventory that I have on hand. Most of these models can be hollow or flat ground, so you'll have that choice, too. Each knife will come with a handmade leather sheath, which can be coloured to your liking, and made for left hand dominant folk by request. Some customization options may come with an additional cost, so I'll provide a general price range for each model. Once a price has been quoted for your order and the down payment has been made, both the customizations and the price will be locked in.

So, there you have it in a nutshell. There's nothing to do right now, apart from enjoy yourself this New Year's eve, and keep your eye on your inbox in mid January. I'm going to keep this fair by opening up the order sheet to everyone on my mailing list at the same time, and upholding the first come, first served approach.

I appreciate your interest in my work, and look forward to working with you in the coming year. There are plenty of projects already on the bench, and I think I'll be very busy in 2024!

May good health and a positive outlook be the theme for you for 2024!

Kind regards, and cheers!
Lorien
Lorien,
Happy New Yr. Could you please add me to you mailing list? kw0063@gmail. Additionally, I have one of your Carothers Boot Knife sheaths. Wondering if there is a process to bring back the tension at top where knife is held in place?
Thank you and I look forward in hearing from you.
Kind Regards, Kevin.

Lorien,
Happy New Yr. Could you please add me to you mailing list? kw0063@gmail. Additionally, I have one of your Carothers Boot Knife sheaths. Wondering if there is a process to bring back the tension at top where knife is held in place?
Thank you and I look forward in hearing from you.
Kind Regards, Kevin.
hey Kevin, got you added. Thanks!

you can heat the throat of your sheath up with a hair dryer a little bit- don't go too crazy- just enough so it gets soft and pliable. While it's warm and soft, squeeze it closed a little bit then chuck it in the freezer for no more than 5 minutes. Just long enough to cool down- you do not want to freeze the leather. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before putting the knife back in. These leather sheaths do lose some of their snappines over time, but should continue to hold the knife securely when worn iwb of in the boot.

let me know if that works for you

Hey Lorien, after Michael high praises of your work it would be foolish not to be on your mailing list.šŸ¤”
Sending you a pm. Thanks Martin

HEADS UP!

Hey folks, I just wanted to give you the heads up that my 2024 Order Sheet will be going out this Friday around 4pm PST.

The Order Sheet will be first come, first served, so this reminder is me doing what I can to create a level situation for you all.

There will be around 16 knives, of various models, that you can choose from. I don't expect all of them to be spoken for, but I want everyone to have a fair chance to claim what they want.

All the pertinent details about how this works will be included in the Order Sheet email, so there's nothing you need to do at this point other than check your email next weekend.

Cheers!
Lorien

2024 Order Sheet 'Last Call' going out tomorrow afternoon, and I'll be wrapping it up the last day of January, so if you want a crack at getting your hands on a quasi custom knife this'll be the last chance in awhile.

Only folks on the mailing list are invited to claim a knife on the Order Sheet, plus there will be random knives on the bench which the mailing list sees before anyone else, so if you're not on there and you wanna be, get at me.

The latest report to go out to the mailing list!

I know, it feels an hour earlier than it is, but it's not! We just all have to toughen up and learn to get over it!

Shop update- I've been busily plugging away on the 2024 Order Sheet. If you want to check out some pictures and stuff of my progress, head over to this thread in my Bladeforums subforum.

It feels like I'm pretty ahead of schedule, which is a really good thing, since I just got a real job!

In 2020, I dismantled a business that I'd spent 16 1/2 years building. That decision was under some duress, but not because I hadn't succeeded at building something that could continue running for decades. I left on my own terms, nice and clean, with no one out of pocket.

Since then, I've literally had my nose to the grindstone, learning the ins and outs of a fascinating craft that I feel born to pursue. I'd like to say that I was self taught, but I don't think it's possible to claim that anymore, now that so much useful information and access to experts via the internet is possible. I credit Bladeforums for opening up the possibility of pursuing cutlery as a craft, by allowing me to learn enough and connect with enough experts to create something viable.

For the last two years, I've been able to support my family financially, but just barely and with a maximum effort and long hours on my part. But the important part here is how much I've learned, and it could be seen as a sacrifice, but more importantly as an investment.

And some of you, my dear mailing list crew, have invested your hard earned cash into my endeavour and have made what I've been doing possible, and I love you for that!

And now, I have some exciting news!

A new, mountain bike specific shop,is opening up in my town, and I will be the lead mechanic there going forward. I have flexible hours and not too many- just enough to pay the bills.

What this means is that I'm going to be able to invest in my cutlerly/knife making endeavours because the money from that won't have to go to groceries. Things like a mini mill, disc grinder, additional space and machines will be added to my workspace, giving me significantly improved efficiencies and capabilities.

While this additional job means that my knife making will begin to become a part time job, it also means I'll be able to start scaling up. In a couple years, I'll have the capability and skill to bring my work to the next level; folding knives and more artistic works, plus creating a more affordable 'line' of knives that will be available for sale on my own website. My long term plan in to build Loriendesigns into something I can use to support my family til I'm ready to retire. My new job will give me time to regroup and formulate a strategy to make that happen.

There is lots of work to do to get to that next level, but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel, instead of constant toil in the work shop. Besides, at the bike shop, it'll be nice to start interacting with other humans again. Wonder how long that'll take to wear off, lol!

Take care, folks. I hope you have a wonderful spring! I'll send out another email when the Order List knives are complete, with a bunch of pictures, if you're into it.

Cheers!
Lorien

PS. to those of you who are CPK fans, users and collectors- I am finalizing the design process for the CPK FK3/Basic 5 knife, and will begin production of a batch of them within the next few weeks. There's a thread on my subforum here, where you can check it out and put your name on the list.

Back