DPx HEST Folder Blade Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My early #d DP has correct art and a slightly exposed tip. I'm still trying to understand the safety risk involved. I'm going to beat on it for a few weeks, then decide

to be honest, im happy it doesnt auto engage, but i remember a post RYP made saying it will engage when using the deployment system

Yes, and I remember Tomso put up a video of his rotoblock auto engaging when he used the quick opening method.

Maybe it will "break in" over time :confused:

Who knows, I guess we will see what others have to say about it.
I don't even have mine yet, so this is interesting.

So have any of the Sterile LE even shipped yet? That's what mine is, but I've only received an electronic shipping info received notice...and that's it. I guess all I've heard of so far is people getting the Mr. DP edition.

I'm sure all this will be taken of if the customer is unhappy...I'm not worried about that. I'm just curious if anyone knows if the sterile has shipped yet.

I wouldn't speculate. The knives will be as specced, customers will be happy. Tripton what number knife do you have?

Speculation is exactly what I have been doing, because the midwest blizzard has pushed my delivery back until tomorrow, which had me pissed off nice and early this morning, but is nobody's fault.

I'll post in-hand opinions tomorrow.

To hear that these are going to be fixed somehow, someway is definitely reassuring.

My early #d DP has correct art and a slightly exposed tip. I'm still trying to understand the safety risk involved. I'm going to beat on it for a few weeks, then decide

C'mon burddog, this is a problem:

IMG_0837.jpg

There is a reason you don't see this feature on other productions or customs.... Due to manufacturing tolerances some are going to be worse, some are going to be better. Either way it is unacceptable.

"To hear that these are going to be fixed somehow, someway is definitely reassuring."

I suppose I should help you out on this. This knife is backed by myself and the manufacturer. There is no heat coming off the grill here. But I am following these reports with interest and addressing each and every comment as appropriate.

A number of people have had prototypes in their hands for a while and the blade gap wasn't even on the radar. Hundreds of people saw the knives at the SHOT show and no mention. I have gone through over 200 knives and I saw minor gaps in some but was focused on tightening down the pivots, checking the general fit and finish and then making sure the packing people did a good job of the project. This is a collaborative community and nothing has changed in the simple concept that any, some or all concerns will be answered, fixed to the satisfaction of the customer or if for any reason they don't want their knife, their money send directly back to them. The majority of the knives are being reviewed as we speak and the process of going back to see how some of these have gaps is underway. It is after all a hand finished knife. It is also my pleasure to take your input and make sure the process is stronger, product is better and the customer is satisfied.

In any case yes these knives will be as expected. For those who bought knives with a lifetime no questions asked warranty this is a long healthy relationship. For those that didn't buy knives, haven't seen the knife and are just commenting, I can't answer your comments.

The final 250 will be shipped this week. I want everyone to have them in their hands.

The final 250 will be shipped this week. I want everyone to have them in their hands.
Can you clarify this please? Does that mean you are shipping the knives whether or not the tip is protruding?

Are there any pics of the final version of the production knife? The actual built knives that will be sold to the majority of folks...for all we know all those are fine, and maybe it was just the limited edition that had this anomaly.

I say this because some blades on the prototypes shown over the past months are totally inside the handle when closed, and even with the exposed tip knives people are receiving this week, there are variations in how much of a gap there is.

If I remember correctly, I believe the first run of the SOG Vulcans had a similar issue. I got one later that didn't have a problem. I hope a solution for the LE's isn't too difficult... I'm really looking forward to my LE Mr. DP and wouldn't want a simple refund. Considering that I got one of the ZT 551s that suffered from a rusty liner and a partially tapped clip hole, as well as Spyderco s90v para with bladeplay, I'm actually not too bent out of shape about it as long as a fix is in order.

I just want my sterile LE, been sitting on a tracking number for days and it is killing me. Didn't care about the delay but don't send me a tracking number then not ship my knife!

OK RYP I took you at your word and would like a new stop pin please:D! To answer everyones questions and even my own I took my knife apart, took my stop pin and using a file and a mouse sander, sanded it down to a smaller stop pin. I had to see for myself if it would effect lock up, hit the back spacer or mess up the ball detent. It did not mess up any of these and the tip of my knife is now perfectly behind the handle. I will post pics in the next 15 minutes or so.

On a side note. When I took the knife apart and started messing with it to check the detent, you can tell that they did put in a bigger stop pin than originally planned. With my stop pin sanded the ball detent goes in a little bit better and keeps it closed just slightly tighter. I like it and the blade does not hit the back spacer.

Lastly! RYP can I be the first to get a new stop pin because I wrecked mine up pretty good doing this. It looks like shit now and sticks a little bit through the handle. Thanks again for the knife it is bad ass and well built. Obviously I plan to use mine.

Whitty

I am also one of those members that has quite the bit of gap, mine is the #79 mr dp. I did send a message over to customer service email, regarding the stop pin since that was what was first stated and thought it may have been an easier fix, only to find out how naive I am again. And that it may be a more difficult problem then simply interchanging the stop pin. So hopefully once everything is figured out perhaps I may send it back to you for whatever treatment is necessary to have this baby in shape whether you have to inject it with steroids, give it morphine, or a shot of heroin do what you gotta do to make my baby sexy again!

Btw for those who are asking about the auto deploy rotoblock. It occurs more often if you losen the pivot on the rotoblock. This allows the auto engagement more likely vs having the rotoblock turning function a little stiff. [at least this is what I found out from trial and error]

OK RYP I took you at your word and would like a new stop pin please:D! To answer everyones questions and even my own I took my knife apart, took my stop pin and using a file and a mouse sander, sanded it down to a smaller stop pin. I had to see for myself if it would effect lock up, hit the back spacer or mess up the ball detent. It did not mess up any of these and the tip of my knife is now perfectly behind the handle. I will post pics in the next 15 minutes or so.

On a side note. When I took the knife apart and started messing with it to check the detent, you can tell that they did put in a bigger stop pin than originally planned. With my stop pin sanded the ball detent goes in a little bit better and keeps it closed just slightly tighter. I like it and the blade does not hit the back spacer.

Lastly! RYP can I be the first to get a new stop pin because I wrecked mine up pretty good doing this. It looks like shit now and sticks a little bit through the handle. Thanks again for the knife it is bad ass and well built. Obviously I plan to use mine.

Whitty

Very cool of you to take the time to try this out. Well done.

Took the knife apart! Easy to do!

IMG_1796 by whittyapp, on Flickr

Filed down the stop pin

IMG_1797 by whittyapp, on Flickr

Filed some more using a vice

IMG_1801 by whittyapp, on Flickr

Put the knfie back together and tip is gone

IMG_1804 by whittyapp, on Flickr

Closer view

IMG_1803 by whittyapp, on Flickr

If this changed the lock up it is such a small amount of change that I can not tell.

IMG_1802 by whittyapp, on Flickr

Hope this helps everyone feel better about the idea of a new smaller stop pin. It should fix the problem and have no ill effects on the knife what so ever.

Whitty

^ This is great news. I hope DPx offers to mail the pin out so we don't have to mail it in...

^ This is great news. I hope DPx offers to mail the pin out so we don't have to mail it in...
That would make this situation a LOT better.

Don't take the time to change the production versions. Just ship them with the smaller pin and let us change it if we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back