Dragonfly - a little sad...

RLR

I chose a Dragonfly, Zytel, for dress pant pocket carry (light, unobtrusive). I noticed some unacceptable lateral blade play. Took it back (my store knows me well, and treats me well) and got another. It is much better, but the blade still has more side-to-side play than any other Spyderco I own (2 Delicas, 1 Cricket). I know this is light duty, but it still makes me a little sad...
frown.gif
all my other Spyders are hard-working users. Maybe this little guy just "ain't as tough."

Any thoughts?

I have 3 of them ( 2 of them for the kids) and they were all fine with neither vertical nor horizontal play. Indeed it is my favourite daily carry for the "office"

Its amazing the negative effect just one or two less than pefect knives can have on your overall opinion of Spyderco. My own infatuation with the company dropped a couple of notches with a dodgy JSK and Smith. The cure seems to buy more knives to make yourself feel better
smile.gif

Hey. if it isn't right..send it back..things happen and even though all knives should be perfect, well this is reality..send them back..SPYDERCO is founded on integrity. They make GREAT knives. sooo if it isn't correct send it back and you'll get one that is...
So if a few bad things sour you then getting a company to stand behind its knives should sweeten it all back up!
SPYDERCO is one of those!
Ok so I am a little biased!....

Thanks people. I don't want to send the wrong message here: I love Spyderco and have nothing but respect for them. Moreover, I have since gone back again to the store and looked at a few more -- got a solid one. The odd thing is (and I know I am picky), all the 'toothy' ones were tighter and a few 'smoothy' ones were a tad looser. In another company, you might shrug it off, but not with Spyderco. Now I've got one to my specs and I'm happy again
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks Sal and everyone at the co. for caring about fit, finish and finesse.

Cheers,

RLR

P.S. Now I don't have to send it back and spend my cash on postage and random custom costs.
biggrin.gif

>>the blade still has more side-to-side play than any other Spyderco I own

They should put an adjustment screw on the blade, even if it requires a special tool, so people can adjust it themselves. Some people like it a bit more loose, and some like it tighter. Thanks, JohnR7

Did you try to squeeze the pivot end in a vise?? Squeeze just a little. That might tighten the loose part. Worth a try.

Blades

RLR - Sorry for the sadness, especially in Canada. I's a pain in the butt to import an item from another country and not be pleased. My apologies, we'll try to fix.

Thanx Bram, yes, you are biased.

In reality, we spend a great deal of time, effort, money & focus to try to provide production knives with "custom quality". I believe the real test is using our knives against another, day after day. Compare again in a year or so.

I imagine the definition for quality could offer argument from several directions. For Spyderco, the "Quality" standards are set based on "Reliable High Performance" over time.

I've seen "very high quality" looking items (fit, finish, etc.) fall apart after a little use. I quess that it depends on what type of "Quality" you are seeking.

"Collector' vs "user" ??

For Spyderco, the long term quality needed by the user for reliable High performance is the goal.

Much of our quality is invisible to the buyer. CPM440V looks the same as 420J2 on a blade. Sharp edges are easier to see (feel) than good steel, good heat treat, strong locks, etc.) Many say "You are paying for the name" or "What'is in a name?" The answer is "trust".

sal

Thank you for the response Mr. Glesser. Just shows how much Spyderco does care. The Dragonfly in my pocket right now is tight and sharp and fantabulous
biggrin.gif
. I am the first to say I use my knives -- Dragonfly, Delica, Delica 2 (a great trim saw and fiberboard slicer, as I found doing some work in my basement) and Cricket (sorry, the exotics are harder to come by up here). I never questioned the integrity of the co. Nothing but respect here. I initially got the one that slipped through the cracks (I'm unlucky that way -- new cars with blown CV joints, graphite drivers with explosive shafts, etc...) Anyway, all's well now and I'll use all my Spyders until toothless or dead.

Cheers, thanks and a tip of the hat

RLR

For what it's worth my Zytel Dragonfly is still rock solid after nearly two years of nearly constant use. It's still one of my two favorite daily carry knives.

Jon

Back