Elusive Schrades

Tsk tsk, and you a moderator:rolleyes:!:D:D

Ahem, back to Schrades; You don't see flat, beveled bolsters too often, because they require advanced skill to finish. They do make a nice knife that is comfortable to carry. They are part of what give the Case/Bose Arkansas Hunter its unique character. Here are two different sizes; the big one is a very early knife!!
scwR2.jpg

I can say this with out doubt "if a company made knives TODAY like the older pattern Schrades" that Charlie shows they would with out a doubt fly :D off the shelves!!!???:thumbup:

Any one else think so?;)

Wow. Nice stuff Charlie. Does the last equal end with the arched tang stamp have a period of time associated with it? The jigging on all of those knives is just outstanding, but those last two are just downwight awesome. The pulls on those are a great touch. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thawk, so far, I just have an accumulation of opinions, that the curved stamp is pre-WWI, But maybe someone else can offer some better evidence. The jigging seems to be the earliest I've been able to identify.

Here are a couple from my friend and fellow Schrade collector. A beautiful English Jack, and an early Camper's knife. The 1926 Schrade Catalog shows a Camper's jack, with both blades in the same end. I haven't found this configuration in a catalog.
MarksEEtoolknife.jpg

Boy Boy Charlie, those last 2 you posted look new... Nice ones for sure...

Definitely not abused, Darrell! I wonder if any of the good folks here know exactly how that wrench was employed??:confused: I understand it was to adjust automobile lights which ran on gas of some kind.
I doubt it's a skate key!:D

Here are a couple from my friend and fellow Schrade collector. A beautiful English Jack, and an early Camper's knife. The 1926 Schrade Catalog shows a Camper's jack, with both blades in the same end. I haven't found this configuration in a catalog.

Awesome looking Schrades all round, the Campers jack looks similar to What Schrade called "Automobolie and Campers knife" pattern 8463 although that model has a screwdriver blade also. Page 22 of the Schrade pocket knives reprint catalogue by A.G. Russell.

Russell

Definitely not abused, Darrell! I wonder if any of the good folks here know exactly how that wrench was employed??:confused: I understand it was to adjust automobile lights which ran on gas of some kind.
I doubt it's a skate key!:D

Charlie, I believe that square key fit the adjusting screw valve on Carbide Lamps. You could mix carbide pellets ( small chunks ) with water, and it would produce a flammable gas used for headlights...

I think Carbide is still used today to form acetylene gas? I know carbide cutting torches were still being used in the late 1950 S when I was an apprentice Ironworker....

Sorry for the thread drift...

Awesome looking Schrades all round, the Campers jack looks similar to What Schrade called "Automobolie and Campers knife" pattern 8463 although that model has a screwdriver blade also. Page 22 of the Schrade pocket knives reprint catalogue by A.G. Russell.

Russell
Russell, you can also compare it to the Camper's knife on the bottom of page 28.
Same blades on a different handle.
If I'm going camping, I'd rather have this one though; Corkscrew being an important Camping tool!:)
SchradeSportMark.jpg

SchradeSportPile.jpg

Charlie, I believe that square key fit the adjusting screw valve on Carbide Lamps. You could mix carbide pellets ( small chunks ) with water, and it would produce a flammable gas used for headlights...

I think Carbide is still used today to form acetylene gas? I know carbide cutting torches were still being used in the late 1950 S when I was an apprentice Ironworker....

Sorry for the thread drift...
I remember the carbide! When I was quite young, and my Dad was teaching me to shoot NRA competition style, we blackened the sights with a little carbide lamp. You threw a few chunks in water and capped it, then lit the gas coming out of a little port. In later years, a magic marker was a lot easier to use!
Headlights have come a long way, Darrell!
Back to the knives:eek: . . . . .

An important Camping tool is right Charlie :) That is one impressive knife with such a good etch for the age, well done on securing that one!

Russell

Love those knives Waynorth. The way that the blades are ground and finished remindes me of Case/Bose collaboration knives. Btw, do you know the orginal price of the Scharades when they were first offered compared to their work knives. I have always thought of knife collecting as a new hobby. Something that was developed due to people's excess wealth in more recent years. Those knives that you showed seemed to be meant for collectors of the time. It's kinda nice to see people collecting knives for awhile now.

God Bless

I don't know the prices, kidwholaughs (kwl). There are some price lists around though.
Some of the places these knives have been, would be interesting information to have.
Some came from the Schrade Factory collection. I know a fellow in Rhode Island who bought a huge collection from a knife salesman's family. Some of mine are salesman's knives, and probably came from a roll tucked in an attic somewhere. But you never get a little stamped "Passport" with them. You just look at the scars, and guess!:D

Goodfella ,huh ? In that case,foughettabbodditt !!!!

Beautiful knives! I agree...someone needs to start reproducing pieces like these.

That English jack is something special! What strikes me is that while the lines taken alone are just straight lines, as a whole they add up to a lovely piece.

Charlie, do you know if just the mark side master blade has a crocus polished finish? If I have used this term incorrectly please set me straight.

Thanks for sharing this great piece of American cutlery with us!:thumbup:

Ken

Back