ESEE 5 Complete Review

On Thursday, I used the ESEE 5 for all dinner prep, which of course included cutting vegetables and meat.
I also used it to open 4 cans of baked beans. :cool:
Didn't bother with video or pics this time, but it did work rather well.
Coating is already worn off right at the tip area, so I didn't add a bunch of powder coat to the food. :D

Think I will generally stick with using a can opener though.
Certainly would work in a camping situation.

On Thursday, I used the ESEE 5 for all dinner prep, which of course included cutting vegetables and meat.
I also used it to open 4 cans of baked beans. :cool:
Didn't bother with video or pics this time, but it did work rather well.
Coating is already worn off right at the tip area, so I didn't add a bunch of powder coat to the food. :D

Think I will generally stick with using a can opener though.
Certainly would work in a camping situation.

For me, the whole knife/can thing has always been a bit of a gamble. I've always viewed it as a helluva' way to give myself a nice little laceration in the field.

When it comes to poppin' the hatch on cans, I just prefer the easy/lazy method(s)... 😄

20240413_211911 (BF).jpg

For me, the whole knife/can thing has always been a bit of a gamble. I've always viewed it as a helluva' way to give myself a nice little laceration in the field.
I get that.
While doing it, I could see that if one slipped it could be bad.
Having a flat surface (like a countertop) felt like it helped ensure safety.

Of course, one could use it as an excuse to buy a steel gauntlet...🤔
Not a waste of money if it's a "Camping Gauntlet", right? ;)

Day off work; sharpening the ESEE 5 again.

I have never used a knife so extensively in such a short period of time!

I have cut every piece of cardboard around here...every piece.
When we had to do an Amazon return, my wife had to get boxes from work. :D

I have lately also cut every piece of plastic to be thrown out, vegetables, raw meat, raw frozen meat, whittled random bits of wood from the storage room just because they were there, and even carved at and bored through deer antler. Cut 1/4" thick leather just because as well.

I have sharpened it sharp enough to cut through Kevlar sleeves, then used it till it was too dull to cut paracord, then sharpened it all the way back, and repeated again and again.

Think the initial review period may be concluding...🤔

Day off work; sharpening the ESEE 5 again.

I have never used a knife so extensively in such a short period of time!

I have cut every piece of cardboard around here...every piece.
When we had to do an Amazon return, my wife had to get boxes from work. :D

I have lately also cut every piece of plastic to be thrown out, vegetables, raw meat, raw frozen meat, whittled random bits of wood from the storage room just because they were there, and even carved at and bored through deer antler. Cut 1/4" thick leather just because as well.

I have sharpened it sharp enough to cut through Kevlar sleeves, then used it till it was too dull to cut paracord, then sharpened it all the way back, and repeated again and again.

Think the initial review period may be concluding...🤔

Well you sure did a fantastic, all encompassing review!!!!!
Great job and looking forward to seeing the occasional update on the 5 here too!😜

Yes, I think the ESEE 5 has now been THOROUGHLY tested by the Stabman! I might want to get something a bit longer in case of a Zombie Apocalypse 🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️ (like Michonne's Katana in "The Walking Dead" - she's so badass!), but otherwise, I think Stabman has proved the ESEE 5 is a great SHTF option! 😁:thumbsup: Thanks for all your hard work and sharing with us.

Well you sure did a fantastic, all encompassing review!!!!!
Great job and looking forward to seeing the occasional update on the 5 here too!😜

Thanks!
Will post the occasional update to show the progression of wear. :)

Yes, I think the ESEE 5 has now been THOROUGHLY tested by the Stabman! I might want to get something a bit longer in case of a Zombie Apocalypse 🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️ (like Michonne's Katana in "The Walking Dead" - she's so badass!), but otherwise, I think Stabman has proved the ESEE 5 is a great SHTF option! 😁:thumbsup: Thanks for all your hard work and sharing with us.

Glad you enjoyed it. :cool:

A longer blade sure can be handy. Certain tasks are far easier with one.
A machete would be far better for clearing a trail than the ESEE 5, for instance.

The ESEE 5 really excels in its intended purpose of being a nigh-on-indestructible blade that fits easily in a pack or attached to your gear. :thumbsup:
Longer blades give more mechanical advantage, but also end up taking more space. Always a tradeoff.

Breaking news! Breaking news!!!

I now have confirmation of what the envisioned aircraft was when the ESEE 5 was designed.

It was designed for escape from a helicopter or a smaller, thinner skinned aircraft.
For that purpose it would 100% work as intended.

It was also intended for crews of larger aircraft such as C-130 as something to carry as part of survival gear, but not with the idea of cutting through the fuselage. The idea was that it was a sturdy, useful knife.

This information is direct from the person who designed the knife.

Breaking news! Breaking news!!!

I now have confirmation of what the envisioned aircraft was when the ESEE 5 was designed.

It was designed for escape from a helicopter or a smaller, thinner skinned aircraft.
For that purpose it would 100% work as intended.

It was also intended for crews of larger aircraft such as C-130 as something to carry as part of survival gear, but not with the idea of cutting through the fuselage. The idea was that it was a sturdy, useful knife.

This information is direct from the person who designed the knife.

Who designed it??🤔. Please....

Back