First Fiddleback... 8670 blade care?

BennyJC

Gold Member
Hi All, scored my first Fiddleback this past Friday. Thinking of using wicked wax as a food safe corrosion inhibitor for the 8670 blade. Any experience with this or other suggestions? Thanks!

Hi All, scored my first Fiddleback this past Friday. Thinking of using wicked wax as a food safe corrosion inhibitor for the 8670 blade. Any experience with this or other suggestions? Thanks!
I don't have any of Andy's knives, But..... 8670 is a great steel.

Just Use it, and enjoy the patina.
I just wash, rinse with Hot water, dry right away.... and use mineral oil occasionally on steel.

Congrats on your first Fiddleback! I occasionally wipe mine down with a rag soaked in mineral oil. Other than that, just use the heck out of it and put it away clean.

Thanks all!

If you don't have mineral oil..... Olive oil works ok too.

I did that for my first year of so...... But I've been told that oo can get rancid, although I didn't see that.

Recently I heard that mineral oil is Bad for bone, and possibly for wood too, so keep it on the blade

Coconut oil works as well, it cannot go rancid. Wipe it down and clean off the extra. I have a few 8670 blades from aa forge and they seem more Corrosion resistant than o1 or 1095, somewhere near a2 or so. Very tough steel and easy to sharpen.

Back