For those getting old like me!

I just turned 66. Unfortunately for the last 5 or 6 years, I've been sitting on my butt doing squat! I bought two 20 pound dumb bells and could not curl them once. I bought two ten pound dumb bells and I can curl them lots of times. I've been curling them 50 times, several times a day and I can already see and feel the difference! As you get older, do not get lazy!!

I just turned 66. Unfortunately for the last 5 or 6 years, I've been sitting on my butt doing squat! I bought two 20 pound dumb bells and could not curl them once. I bought two ten pound dumb bells and I can curl them lots of times. I've been curling them 50 times, several times a day and I can already see and feel the difference! As you get older, do not get lazy!!
I agree!

Zieg

My doctor advised me that once you get past ~50 the body does not process protein as efficiently. Recommended taking a protein supplement, because those proteins are more easily processed. I have found that to be helpful advice. I work out 3x a week. At 71 my muscle mass and tone is still pretty fair.

I'm 73. Was into a heavy weight lifting & exercise program from 60-70 but developed joint problems that made it impossible to lift w/my arms and/or do daily pushups/pullups like as I was doing before.

I can still have all of the gear & can do lower body work (squats & deadlifts) but haven't done any lifting since I got my Concept 2 rower 5 yrs ago. All the "exercise" that I do now is on the rower -- 10k meters/day; 5 days/wk; 70-75 mins/day; which burns 500 cals/day.

Should sell all of my lifting gear & an expensive spin bike that I also still have but I'd rather keep than sell them in case I want to use them again. Also have variety of cross-training gear -- battle ropes, weight sleds, tractor tire & sledge hammers -- in the backyard that I seldom use but keep just in case I do.

Last edited:
65 years old and have a left foot prosthesis.
Did a 286 mile hike last year on the North Country Trail from the NY-Pa border thru Pa to the Pa-Ohio border.
Hiked a total of 568 miles last year!!🥾🥾
No butt sitting here!! 🤣🤣🤣
John 😁

Instead of just curling those dumbbells, you should do full body workouts with them.

Squatting, hinging, pressing overhead, etc. You don't have to go heavy, just use what you have, and do slow measured reps.

It's great that you're moving again, but you need to broaden your focus.

My doctor advised me that once you get past ~50 the body does not process protein as efficiently. Recommended taking a protein supplement, because those proteins are more easily processed. I have found that to be helpful advice. I work out 3x a week. At 71 my muscle mass and tone is still pretty fair.

Instead of just curling those dumbbells, you should do full body workouts with them.

Squatting, hinging, pressing overhead, etc. You don't have to go heavy, just use what you have, and do slow measured reps.

It's great that you're moving again, but you need to broaden your focus.

Full on in agreement with these. I use a protein supplement and an amino acid supplement, both from Costco so they are inexpensive and there's a real big bucket of each.

I use dumbells for a full body workout. There's dozens of such workouts on YouTube. I went through a few before I found a couple I liked. 10 lb dumbells work just fine.

Must be working, because it used to be hard for me to carry $100 of groceries to the car. Now I can carry $100 of groceries down the block without breaking a sweat. 😁

Having watched my own parents waste away for no good reason, I have massive respect for older people that try to stay active and keep their powder dry. I intend to do the same.

I've been working out for over five decades. It may not keep me living longer, but it will keep me living better while I'm here.

Ditto regarding watching a parent, (former athlete), waste away to the ravages of disease, (diabetes and atrophy), and attendant disorders.

but haven't done any lifting since I got my Concept 2 rower 5 yrs ago.
Love my Concept 2 rower!
I had planned to add the bike-erg; but opted for an assault bike to incorporate the push/pull arms at the last minute. Still not convinced I made the right choice...
I'd long scoffed at the total gym; but with my knees wrecked by Lyme disease and a few shoulder injuries, I finally saw the light.
I still do some dumbbell and kettlebell exercises, though.
It's sometimes difficult to stay as consistent as I'd like, but I've found that I sleep better when I exercise regularly (it's all relative - my sleeper is still broken...just not as broken as when I was letting myself be a slug)

Seconded!

Wouldn't hurt to do some calisthenics as well, like body weight squats, pushups, planks, etc.
Weighted walking is good, not so much backpack, but weighted vest with the weight evenly distributed over your frame, uphill weighted hikes.
Rower is a brilliant piece of equipment that I have long thought of as a cardio deadlift.
I like kettlebells.
So many ways to keep the engine running smoothly, but the most important part is to listen to your body, and, especially at first, always do a little less than you know you can do, because you need to leave yourself room for recovery. Save some in the tank and do a little more the next time, and periodically give yourself a little extra rest and recovery.

Back