Gear Thread

Lol, figures that folks on the CPK forum would have similar appreciation for quality backpacking saws.

I took a bad tumble on a snowmachine a couple of years back when I was hunting by myself in some remote country. Ultimately I didn't get hurt bad, but it took a bit to get reset and realize nothing was broke. I was shook up and wet and cold from having snow stuffed in places nobody wants it. I was trying to get out of a steep bowl that I shouldn't have worked down into in the first place, but it was hard pack and I figured I could manage it. When I dumped it and rolled off the hill, every time I rolled skywards that machine was suspended over the top of me. Bad, bad deal.

The ground was fairly open desert with scattered juniper. I had good equipment with me, but no saw as I figured on chopping and busting with a GSO-10 if I needed a midday fire. A few problems: One, the only dry wood was the dead juniper limbs still hanging on the tree and protected by the canopy. Two, it is about impossible to break juniper by bending it----it has to be cut. Three, you've got limited room to swing a blade in there.

If I'd had a saw in the pack, fuel could have been gathered in short order. If I had been forced to stay the night then I would have had to gather fuel for hours at the rate I could go. Two additional items went into the pack after that day, the ultra accel, and a breathable bivy by SOL. If you spend about an hour under a cheap space blanket be prepared that you're going to come out from under there wet. Do yourself a favor and get one that breathes, they're worth every bit of the fifty or sixty bucks they cost.

I took a bad tumble on a snowmachine a couple of years back when I was hunting by myself in some remote country. Ultimately I didn't get hurt bad, but it took a bit to get reset and realize nothing was broke. I was shook up and wet and cold from having snow stuffed in places nobody wants it. I was trying to get out of a steep bowl that I shouldn't have worked down into in the first place, but it was hard pack and I figured I could manage it. When I dumped it and rolled off the hill, every time I rolled skywards that machine was suspended over the top of me. Bad, bad deal.

The ground was fairly open desert with scattered juniper. I had good equipment with me, but no saw as I figured on chopping and busting with a GSO-10 if I needed a midday fire. A few problems: One, the only dry wood was the dead juniper limbs still hanging on the tree and protected by the canopy. Two, it is about impossible to break juniper by bending it----it has to be cut. Three, you've got limited room to swing a blade in there.

If I'd had a saw in the pack, fuel could have been gathered in short order. If I had been forced to stay the night then I would have had to gather fuel for hours at the rate I could go. Two additional items went into the pack after that day, the ultra accel, and a breathable bivy by SOL. If you spend about an hour under a cheap space blanket be prepared that you're going to come out from under there wet. Do yourself a favor and get one that breathes, they're worth every bit of the fifty or sixty bucks they cost.

Great post Dave! Glad you made it out of that one OK! :eek: I've rolled a sled before too, and it's not for the faint of heart. Lots can go VERY wrong!!!

Thanks bud. I think I got all serious and funked the jive on the gear thread tho. Might need Nathan to drop some goat pics to straighten things out :D

Here's a piece of gear that I really like when it's needed. It's a baldric carry built by Chuddy Bear, and I'm sure any of our quality makers here would build a great one. I had this one built so that the frog accepts a large teklok. That way you can snap on/off any large blade or piece of equipment that is teklok compatible.

OMQLM1F.jpg

oQAYcwO.jpg

WjhOuPD.jpg

5NIqXbll.jpg

Thanks bud. I think I got all serious and funked the jive on the gear thread tho. Might need Nathan to drop some goat pics to straighten things out :D

Here's a piece of gear that I really like when it's needed. It's a baldric carry built by Chuddy Bear, and I'm sure any of our quality makers here would build a great one. I had this one built so that the frog accepts a large teklok. That way you can snap on/off any large blade or piece of equipment that is teklok compatible.

OMQLM1F.jpg

oQAYcwO.jpg

WjhOuPD.jpg

5NIqXbll.jpg

That is GENIUS!!!

I'm guessing you can swap over to tip down carry if you wanted, right?

That is GENIUS!!!

I'm guessing you can swap over to tip down carry if you wanted, right?

Yep, in a heartbeat. That Scrapyard just happened to be the one on it when I snapped the pictures, and the retention is so good that I carry it for a downward draw.

This is my favorite watch. It was an engagement present from my fiancee (now wife)

View attachment 906980

I've been wearing my U1-T for the past 7 years. Great watch, it's been all over the world with me. Tough as nails! The head only has a nick on one of the lugs and a couple scratches on the bezel, couple scratches on the AR, my bracelet is wrecked though, covered in scratches and the clasp pops open pretty easy. It's taken some hard hits, especially when I tackled a methed up gang banger and had a little ground fight at work a couple years ago. I definitely came down on top of it when we hit the ground. Still going strong though not as accurate. Just sent it off to service. Been wearing this Resco for a bit now. Great watch too. Couldn't resist when I saw they were made in my city!

OMQLM1F.jpg

oQAYcwO.jpg

WjhOuPD.jpg

5NIqXbll.jpg

I need someone to make me a Baldric setup like that. I want to carry my large choppers that way when in the woods. Too bad Chuddy Bear is not around at the moment.

I've been wearing my U1-T for the past 7 years. Great watch, it's been all over the world with me. Tough as nails! The head only has a nick on one of the lugs and a couple scratches on the bezel, couple scratches on the AR, my bracelet is wrecked though, covered in scratches and the clasp pops open pretty easy. It's taken some hard hits, especially when I tackled a methed up gang banger and had a little ground fight at work a couple years ago. I definitely came down on top of it when we hit the ground. Still going strong though not as accurate. Just sent it off to service. Been wearing this Resco for a bit now. Great watch too. Couldn't resist when I saw they were made in my city!

The Resco is a nice watch as well! My wifr knew how hard I am on things, so she got me the fully tegimented version whicb has held up a lot better than I thought it would. Where did you send yours for service?

I went for the full trip home to Germany. Was going to do RGM but my U1000 is about 7 years old and needed a service too. That one has to go to Germany. They were both running cosc spec and got to about +/- 30 seconds a day give or take this past year. But I'm harder on watches than most. I wear them shooting often too. Even when shooting big bore pistols.

If you plan of getting more Sinn watches, check out the watchuseek forum they come up every so often. I got both watches used for around half msrp. I wear my U1 almost every day and the U1000 as a weekend watch. I blew out the crystal on a U2 some years ago and didn't want to risk a thicker watch at work when I got it fixed and traded towards the U1000. The U1 is the perfect every day watch. It'll last a lifetime!

Really liking the Resco though. If you like Sinn, you'd like them as well more than likely

I need someone to make me a Baldric setup like that. I want to carry my large choppers that way when in the woods. Too bad Chuddy Bear is not around at the moment.

I haven't been able to get ahold of him for a long time :( I'll bet grog or any of our leather guys here could crank one out. I'm pretty sure Azula Gun Holsters builds them as well. I haven't bought from him, but his stuff looks good.

Thanks bud!
Clients give me crap about my murse until they see how much stuff it holds.

Murse? What nurse? I don't see a curse, although I find them very useful and practical / functional.

All I see from your photo are some very adept BoBs!

Back