General blade questions

I was just checking out the new site (it`s very nice) and the carry systems are really something but there isn`t much info about the knives. What kind of steel are they? How about RC hardness and are they zone hardened? Are they saber or chisel ground? Finally,and I mean no disrespect by this,what makes even the "economy" line worth so much when some other very high quality customs cost less than half as much? Marcus

Thanks for your Post, Marcus. Here are the answers you were looking for.

First, the simple questions. A2 Grade Tool Steel. It is triple-tempered and Rockwell Harness Tested 59-61. I use this metal because it holds its edge very well, yet allows the layman to re-hone it. As for zoning, differential tempering is done to larger blades, and I'll do it to smaller blades too per request.

Now the harder question. Where's your money going? First, the prices aren't solely for a blade, as those other blades that are half the cost. Instead, you are getting a complete system. Let me dissertate for a moment on what exactly that means. A complete system does not mean that you're just getting a blade, a harness, and a sheath. It means you're getting a sheath that was made for the harness, both of which were made for the blade. Everything is intricately engineered to give you the utmost comfort (if you don't wear it, it won't be much use), speed, concealability, and overall effectiveness. That's where part of your money is going.

The rest goes into a blade that has been painstakingly designed to the highest quality standards for its intended use. Remember, Marcus, there is no difference in the design side of these blades from my JSP line, except that I don't do every step. That means that you are getting a blade that is better, sometimes only by a hair, than anything else out there. But my philosophy is that the extra "hair" could make all the difference.

If you are still hesitant, please read what others have had to say about my systems and products, and follow up with current Blade Rigger customers on the forum. Ask them. They'll be able to tell you better than I where your extra money is going.

All the best,

------------------
James

JSP Blade Rigger

Marcus,

I will admit that I almost choked when I first saw the prices on the Blade Rigger site a while back. Since then, however, I've seen a different side.

What James mentioned about how the system is completely designed together cannot be overstated. I have both an SB3 rig, as well as a dual execulite rig. Just by wearing a baggy overshirt I can conceal a 12" blade! With the execulite I can comfortably wear 2 6" blades all day. I'm a bit of an odd size (6'5" and 300lbs) but James made these systems perfectly. They're snug without being too tight. As far as the sheaths go, I've got several kydex sheaths with V-Stat modifications that are rigger coated. No snaps or straps to worry about, the blades snap in and out of their sheaths with just the right amount of effort. I haven't handled any other kydex sheaths that do that as well.

Those superior carry systems, coupled with a precisely made sheath, all for the purposes of carrying a razor-sharp piece of steel does drive the cost up a bit, but it's worth it. Any time you want to ask someone who owns Blade Rigger carry systems and weaponry, please let me know and I'll offer more details.

Zog

I own three blade rigger systems so far. They are the best thought out carry systems that I am aware of. The execulite system is by far the best shoulder carry that I have used and is my most carried as a result. So when I have other good knives that cost less but have a inferior carry system and thus tend to get left at home I end up getting more for my monies worth out of the JSP. My only real complaint has been how long it takes to get a new knife!!! So now with the SCP I will be getting some orders in as soon as I can find some money!!! You will not be disapointed.

I own three carry systems by JSP and I also have to say that they are the most innovative designs I have ever seen. I'm concealing 12.5" blades under a T-shirt with no problem.

All of the rigs are fully adjustable for maximum comfort. James has thought of everything. There are straps for the rigs and little tabs that I was originally unaware of. After thinking about it and attaching some lash straps, the true design genius began to shine. These are truly the rigs for maximum concealment. There is no one out there which makes anything which comes close ot the thought, quality of materials and stitching and workmanship that goes into these.

James is also quite friendly and always will to answer questions.

Sincerely,

Jason Yang

Incredibly, I have worn the JSP (SCP) Arch Angel Two in the Associate Shoulder Harness an incredible amount of time. It is very close to 800 hours, I calculated this by my work schedule. I have never had a shoulder rig that was even close to the comfort, concealment and speed this rig offers.

I have been bouncing the Arch Angel Two around a bit, experimenting with different carry modes, but right out of the FedEx box, it was ready to go.

I cannot say enough about them, as you have read, I do not think there is a JSP Customer who is not satisfied.

Without being too extreme about things, something has to be said, and I am positive others will back me up on this.

When you unzip a JSP Travel Pouch, and you lift the blade, sheath and rig out of it, there is a sense that you are truly lifting an object out that was intended to save your life. It is a weapon. There are many knives, I have owned many other knives and I have since eliminated most of them. I have found that there are precious few knives, sheaths, and rigs that fit the bill, as well as makers who really think about what they are doing. James Piorek is one of them, and I am happy to have him as a friend.

Thanks for the prompt and concise answers James. It seems like you have a very loyal following and I`m sure it`s for good reason. BTW those are good specs you should make em known on your site. If I ever have enough money to buy a super top shelf carry system I may have to look you up.
smile.gif
Marcus

Marcus,

People who buy Blade Rigger equipment almost always have one complaint -- or actually more of a regret. They waited so long to do it, in the process going through several blades that were close, but not quite right for them. They've had customoers exclaim that in the long run they SAVE money by going with Blade Rigger, because finally they own a knife that won't need to be replaced. Blade Rigger has had customers buy Blade Rigger systems as gifts and then decided to keep them for themselves because they were just so darn good.

The point is this. Don't wait until you've tried everything else. Make your life easier by doing it right the first time. So it'll cost a bit more. Doing it right always does take a little more, but something James has taught me is that if you spend the extra 10% now, you'll save 30% down the road. I've seen James go to what at the time I thought were ridiculous lengths to correct seemingly phantasmical problems -- but then I realized that by going to those lengths he was ensuring that his systems would be the best they could be the first time around, and wouldn't need to be reworked.

I happen to know that James will accomodate most budgets with time-payment plans. So don't wait. Learn from other's mistakes, and look seriously into a Blade Rigger system today.

By the way... Jame's work in harnessing is (I believe) unparalelled. Because of this, his blade-work is often overlooked. That's too bad, because even without harnesses, James Piorek would have a name for himself based solely on his knives... they're that good.

Well, I'm off the soapbox, that was my two cents for what it was worth
smile.gif

------------------
Get Paid to Surf the Net! Click here.

I also own an SCP Arch Angel 2 and have an EQ bag attached to the other side of the harness.I primarily use it when i am riding my harley which is quite often this time of year,sure his stuff is expensive but it is worth it.I have a Arch Angel 1 with a shark skin sheath covering and dragon menuki's on order with James and can't wait till i get that system.Spend the money you will not regret it.

My 2 cents:

I have 2 JSP customs: A Doshido & the Archangel 1 Prototype. Are they expensive? Yep. Are they worth it? HELL YEP! JSP customs are true funtioning works of art! James is an incredible craftsman with a sense of concealment that is UNRIVALED!!!. I carry ALOT of hardware & my preferences are: (in no particular order) Mad Dog, JSP, & REKAT. All AWESOME fixed blades. If you want a real good starting out JSP system get the Archangel 2 with black coated blade. It's a GREAT setup & will serve you well. In the future you can add a V-gar system to it with some nice titanium as well. It all blends together seamlessly
wink.gif

------------------
Attila

Back