Giveaway - custom scandi sheath (COMPLETED)

SwissHeritageCo

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Thanks to Kiah Kiah and Boru13 Boru13 for giving me the go ahead to run this :)

SUMMARY:

So... I'd like to give away (1) custom scandi style sheath. These are what I call "user sheaths" in that they are designed slightly different than most. I'm a big puukko fan, and I've loved/owned/used many a fine puukko, both custom and production. While I really really love the look of a traditional scandi sheath, made out of thin leather with a wooden insert to protect the blade, I have found them a bit impractical for field use.. at least for my taste. They don't have much blade clearance when sheathing, they require both hands to remove and sheath the knife, even when using two hands it's really easy to snag the tip of your blade on that wooden insert, lots of poking.. and they can be fairly easy to pierce if you're not paying attention.

When I'm out I end up doing lots of quick cutting, re-sheathing, and half-sheathing while I fiddle about.. usually with something in my other hand. My solution was thick 8-9oz veg tanned leather, cased and hot waxed, custom fit for each knife with a nice wide blade clearance and without wooden insert.

Here are a few examples, I've since increased the dangler width substantially for added friction on the belt:

1gaw.jpg
2gaw.jpg

3gaw.jpg
4gaw.jpg

5gaw.jpg
6gaw.jpg

7gaw.jpg

GIVEAWAY RULES:

- usa only for this one (it's just not practical with shipping costs these days, sorry) :(
- post a photo of the puukko you want a sheath made for and simply say "I'm in"
-
winner will be responsible for getting their knife to me
- I will take care of return shipping via fully insured usps priority mail
- while I love Mora's dearly, I'd like to leave them out of this particular gaw
- your knife must be puukko shaped! meaning, no guards or overly curvy handles.. each sheath is custom fit to the knife itself in the same way traditional scandi sheaths are
- doesn't have to be an expensive/custom knife to enter and win! Production puukko's are welcome! (just not mora's.. for now)
- stick tangs and fixed blades welcome

Minding some huge glaring oversight, that's about it. I'm going to let this run for 9 days until Sunday the 19th (3.19.23). Winner will be determined by random number generator.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
Wouldn't want to miss this opportunity. I love your sheaths!!! Thanks for doing this.

BUT - Hey Josh, SwissHeritageCo SwissHeritageCo I can't seem to post a photo. :rolleyes:

I'll try again later. Just posted photos in another thread so I'm not sure the problem.

Last edited:
OK new post to try to include a photo ~

NOPE - 🤨 There is something about this thread. Is something locked??

OK new post to try to include a photo ~

NOPE - 🤨 There is something about this thread. Is something locked??
Hehe, no.. I think it's the sub forum itself.

Wouldn't let me upload pics through BF either, had to direct link them from IMG BB with the "insert image" icon.

I’m in.

Hackman Tapio Wirkkala Puukko
Great entry!

You're in the books. For anyone else having trouble uploading photos you'll have to link them directly with the insert image icon when posting. That said, here is RayseM RayseM entry:

ray.jpg

Ray, I'll be using your original post number for the contest. Good luck!

To add, I'll be posting examples of the new dangler options tomorrow as well.

Last edited:
Thanks to Kiah Kiah and Boru13 Boru13 for giving me the go ahead to run this :)

SUMMARY:

So... I'd like to give away (1) custom scandi style sheath. These are what I call "user sheaths" in that they are designed slightly different than most. I'm a big puukko fan, and I've loved/owned/used many a fine puukko, both custom and production. While I really really love the look of a traditional scandi sheath, made out of thin leather with a wooden insert to protect the blade, I have found them a bit impractical for field use.. at least for my taste. They don't have much blade clearance when sheathing, they require both hands to remove and sheath the knife, even when using two hands it's really easy to snag the tip of your blade on that wooden insert, lots of poking.. and they can be fairly easy to pierce if you're not paying attention.

When I'm out I end up doing lots of quick cutting, re-sheathing, and half-sheathing while I fiddle about.. usually with something in my other hand. My solution was thick 8-9oz veg tanned leather, cased and hot waxed, custom fit for each knife with a nice wide blade clearance and without wooden insert.

Here are a few examples, I've since increased the dangler width substantially for added friction on the belt:

1gaw.jpg
2gaw.jpg

3gaw.jpg
4gaw.jpg

5gaw.jpg
6gaw.jpg

7gaw.jpg

GIVEAWAY RULES:

- usa only for this one (it's just not practical with shipping costs these days, sorry) :(
- post a photo of the puukko you want a sheath made for and simply say "I'm in"
-
winner will be responsible for getting their knife to me
- I will take care of return shipping via fully insured usps priority mail
- while I love Mora's dearly, I'd like to leave them out of this particular gaw
- your knife must be puukko shaped! meaning, no guards or overly curvy handles.. each sheath is custom fit to the knife itself in the same way traditional scandi sheaths are
- doesn't have to be an expensive/custom knife to enter and win! Production puukko's are welcome! (just not mora's.. for now)
- stick tangs and fixed blades welcome

Minding some huge glaring oversight, that's about it. I'm going to let this run for 9 days until Sunday the 19th (3.19.23). Winner will be determined by random number generator.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.
Stumbled on to this one. Awesome giveaway. Thanks for your generosity, your leatherwork looks incredible.

I'd like to submit this puukko for consideration.

52701051905_98c381859e_c.jpg

Very generous GAW- thanks for the chance.
I'm thinking I'd send you the bone-handled one. The Ypsilanti (city in Michigan; I don't know the maker's name) has a sheath that works.

Don't ask me how I got that picture to work.

That one worked even easier. This is a very nice knife I might use if it had a less hirsute sheath.

Last edited:
Whether I win or not, I'd love to hit you up for a rig for my Roselli leuku at some point!

W2Vyh24.jpeg

Zieg
I don't think I have ever seen a Roselli leuku with a metal plated pommel before, is it vintage? Spine and edge profile look different than their current offerings too.

Beautiful user! Digging the regrind, I bet it penetrates much deeper without that abrubt shoulder.

I don't think I have ever seen a Roselli leuku with a metal plated pommel before, is it vintage? Spine and edge profile look different than their current offerings too.

Beautiful user! Digging the regrind, I bet it penetrates much deeper without that abrubt shoulder.
No regrind on this. This is a special version (possibly custom) Heimo offered with sterling silver pommel plate and bolster. The pommel is actually hallmarked. It is definitely different from others Rosellis.

Zieg

No regrind on this. This is a special version (possibly custom) Heimo offered with sterling silver pommel plate and bolster. The pommel is actually hallmarked. It is definitely different from others Rosellis.

Zieg
No? From the photo it appears that there is still a bit of the initial scandi grind just in front of the bolster. Beautiful working tool regardless, I've always appreciated Roselli's practicality.

Back