Good Knife Co. Email Newsletter?

Sorry Chad, I haven't gotten to it yet, but I will soon! Been a busy day!

ETA: Read and enjoyed, thanks Chad!

Last edited:
Just read it, nice! And as a CS fan, was pleasantly surprised to see a GoldenEye!:thumbsup:. I have one too, and really like it, except for the gold accents. So got a SilverEye when I found a good deal on one.

Just read it, nice! And as a CS fan, was pleasantly surprised to see a GoldenEye!:thumbsup:. I have one too, and really like it, except for the gold accents. So got a SilverEye when I found a good deal on one.
Use it enough and only the clip keeps the gold accents. The thumb thingy loses the coating really quickly.

Good read Chad, is this where one puts there thoughts on top five and why?
Sure, why not. I'm open for the newsletter topics to turn into a pleasant discussion onto thd forum. That actually sounds fun. I would be curious what your top 5 are and I always like pictures of people's knives, especially well loved ones.

This installment of the newsletter was excellent.

You totally had me going at first with the whole "I haven't designed an all arounder" line. I was reading it like "Dude, Chad, what in the world are you talking about? The BushBrute is probably the most versatile jack of all trades knife I've ever owned." Then BAM you drop the BushBrute in the next paragraph.

I love the reference to knowing your equipment so that you can use what you've got to the best ability. Spot on! This weekend, I used the BOG to cut a branch for the boys to whittle. Was I going to chop with that svelte little thing? Noooo. Not what it was made for. But by using my thumb to press cut some notches around the branch, I was able to snap it without an issue at all. No big knife needed. Just needed enough to create a weak spot so it could be snapped.

Below is a pic of the knife I used, just for reference.

IMG_0691.jpeg

Also, I've managed to hold out on a Kephart so far, but you're weakening my resolve.

Last edited:
This installment of the newsletter was excellent.

You totally had me going at first with the whole "I haven't designed an all arounder" line. I was reading it like "Dude, Chad, what in the world are you talking about? The BushBrute is probably the most versatile jack of all trades knife I've ever owned." Then BAM you drop the BushBrute in the next paragraph.

I love the reference to knowing your equipment so that you can use what you've got to the best ability. Spot on! This weekend, I used to cut a a branch for the boys to whittle. Was I going to chop with that svelte little thing? Noooo. Not what it was made for. But by using my thumb to press cut some notches around the branch, I was able to snap it without an issue at all. No big knife needed. Just needed enough to create a weak spot so it could be snapped.

Below is a pic of the knife I used, just for reference.

View attachment 1761207

Also, I've managed to hold out on a Kephart so far, but you're weakening my resolve.
Best copy of a kephart I've seen so far is Mike McCarter. Second best is AU knife ( daizee daizee ) both of these are even closer to the colclesser than the kabar version.

But by using my thumb to press cut some notches around the branch, I was able to snap it without an issue at all. No big knife needed. Just needed enough to create a weak spot so it could be snapped.

I believe the proper term for this is "Beaver Chew."

I believe the proper term for this is "Beaver Chew."

Yep. That's exactly it. Just a series of notch-turn-notch-turn-notch-turn until you can easily snap it.

I can't find it now, but there was great YT vid I saw years ago from... I believe an Irishman... but anyway he built an entire shelter, fire, got water going, animal traps, etc.. with nothing more than a little slip joint knife. The point of the video was to show that with proper technique, you really don't need a "bushcraft" knife. The guy had a great knowledge of his tool, and how best to use it, and as a result was able to do as well or better than most people do with dedicated bushcrafting gear.

Yep. That's exactly it. Just a series of notch-turn-notch-turn-notch-turn until you can easily snap it.

I can't find it now, but there was great YT vid I saw years ago from... I believe an Irishman... but anyway he built an entire shelter, fire, got water going, animal traps, etc.. with nothing more than a little slip joint knife. The point of the video was to show that with proper technique, you really don't need a "bushcraft" knife. The guy had a great knowledge of his tool, and how best to use it, and as a result was able to do as well or better than most people do with dedicated bushcrafting gear.

I remember that video. He was an enabler for me to actually try out folders and slipjoints in a more "rough use" fashion and see how far you can take them. Very surprised at how well they hold up but they fail miserably, in comparison, to a good fixed blade in the comfort department. Most of the slipjoints I've tried, and all of the multi-blade ones, have hot spots when you get into the heavier pressure tasks like sizing kindling, beaver chewing, or making notches. You could do a whole lot with a small axe and slipjoint.

It's all about what you want to spend your time getting good with, or just enjoy using, in my opinion. Get used to using the tools you carry with you a lot, so getting comfortable with folders, slipjoints, and small fixed blades was very important in my earlier days of learning woodcraft and planning for temporary hardships.

Back