Hammock with rainfly and bug net ?

LEGION 12

Gold Member
Wasn't sure if I should put this in the wilderness sub forum or here but as the title says looking for a inexpensive hammock setup , I would be mostly using it for over night camping and backyard use any suggestions ?

I'd reccomend DutchWare for a starting point. They do small batch production, and will let you pick your options to get a rig that will work well for you. I've used some of their titanium hardware, and it's really well thought out, they also get their own fabrics made. The main advantage is that you can piece together a modular system from them that will still be no-frills. Warbonnet are another very reputable company, but they are the high end, so not as ideal if you are not 100% sure of what you want.

I’ll be looking into the same thing, legion. This past weekend my wife got to use her ENO hammock for the first time while we were camping, and I immediately thought hammocks with bug nets and some type of tarp on a ridge line is the way to go for camping.

DutchWare is great and I have a lot of their stuff. A good place to start though I Hammock Gear. The have kits that have all the pieces you need to start.

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the wilderness sub forum or here but as the title says looking for a inexpensive hammock setup , I would be mostly using it for over night camping and backyard use any suggestions ?
What do you consider inexpensive. Relative term for everyone. If you have a budget may get more answers.

I’d throw out haven but you are looking at 300+. The best inexpensive option is going to be the dutchware above. Everyone loves them for the money

I really like hammockgear and dutchware gear as well. I have a netted hammock from hammockgear and a netless from dutchware. The tarp is separate on these. I used a standard silnylon tarp for years but finally got a hammock tarp from hammockgear over the winter because I wanted doors for winter hanging. It makes a big difference, much more than I was expecting. I got that from hammockgear when I purchased the netted hammock. Hammockgear is always having sales.

My dutchware is a really lightweight setup and has more stretch to it but it's still comfortable enough. I do like the polyester hammocks a little better though.

The circadian is the hammockgear hammock I have and the tarp is the journey. For summer use, I will still use my large rectangle tarp as I like the airflow of hammocks a lot for warm, humid weather.

For an inexpensive off-shore model, grand trunk is supposed to be okay. They have an air bivy shelter that seems decently priced. They off-shore all the production, so it's kind of generic for some of the things but a few are their designs made overseas. I think their hammocks are just rebranded so comparable to the many other off-shore made hammocks.

I'll try to find some pictures on my phone later. I thought I had my 1st hammock, a sierra madre (big and heavy compared to the other two) and the dutchware in my imgur album but I can't find them now, at least not the whole hammock.

can you expand on overnight camping as well? backpacking or drive up camping spot?

I've gave up on tents somewhere around 15 years ago. mine is a cabelas branded double hammock, but have also used ENO, fox outfitters, grand trunk, and a few others I can't recall off hand. really not a big difference between the polyester hammocks from one to the other, at least to me.

some had built in bug screens, but my setup uses an ENO Guardian bug net. most of the time where and when I am camping, I don't need this, but carry it just in case.

tarps will be dependent on where and how you are camping. if you are backpacking everything in you'll want to be lighter and more compact. I use an ENO dryfly for those situations - but there are other good options out there.
If size and weight arent an issue I have a sportsmans guide 12x12 that is similar to the Kelty Noah style traps. its a little bigger to pack, but works great for car camping or canoe/rafting trips.

straps are another accessory that will make life easier when it comes time to setup and take down. I use the ENO straps. wrap the tree and snug it down, then it has multiple loops built in to clip too.
I also like a ridgeline so I get the hammock set the same each time. also give me a handy place to hang a hat, flashlight, knife, or other stuff I may want or need in the middle of the night. ridgeline needs to be reasonbly strong adn not stretchy to do its job right. I use a 3/8" AmSteel Blue Dyneema rope. its a little pricey by the foot, but you dont need a lot and it works well for me.

I dont do much cold weather camping so havent messed with underquilts or the like. I do some October river camping and use a peice of closed cell foam pad if needed, but can ususally get by with just a sleeping bag.

I can only find my dutchware setup I must have been playing around with different butt layers as I think I'm sitting an an emergency tarp with mylar in the pic with my oldest (this is a couple years ago now, before I finally invested in underquilts). Probably late fall based on the grass and what we're wearing.

20210424_153128.jpg20210425_101237.jpg

wow, this is some great info guys, thank you!

Are there any recommendations for families of 3? We have a “two person hammock” but let’s be real, that’d never work for an overnight. Any way to make sure a 6 year old doesn’t dump himself out on n his sleep?

Currently we use a tent because we have one and it provides privacy, but it’s also kid friendly and convenient in that regard. I could totally see forgoing tents if it was just me.

My meager setup also have a Sportsman's Guide tarp .
IMG-20240430-102659917.jpg

wow, this is some great info guys, thank you!

Are there any recommendations for families of 3? We have a “two person hammock” but let’s be real, that’d never work for an overnight. Any way to make sure a 6 year old doesn’t dump himself out on n his sleep?

Currently we use a tent because we have one and it provides privacy, but it’s also kid friendly and convenient in that regard. I could totally see forgoing tents if it was just me.

2 hammocks, a really big tarp. They have bridge bars that allow sharing of tree suspension, I believe, but for more than one person to sleep in a hammock that's not a child as the 2nd person isn't so great. I'm sure someone does it, but most people use their own hammock.

Like this sorta things from dutchware
2-person-package.jpg

my cabelas hammock is a double - you aint sleeping two. you might fall asleep on a sunday afternoon in the backyard with the wife, but it aint for camping two to a hammock.
these style hammocks are near impossible to fall out of while sleeping. you'd have to be doing some real gymnastics. if you can set it up at the house and get the kid in it and let them get the feel for it they'd probably be good to go just being nearby an adult. .

Here is a (terrible) picture from a 2009 hike I did with my father and brother - we were in the backwoods, but found a nice spot that we could hang in triangle and rig our tarps to have a dry common area in between them all. the dark gray tarp on the right is the ENO dryfly. the light gray is the sportsmans guide. I don't recall the make of the green one right off.
a-S.jpg

my cabelas hammock is a double - you aint sleeping two. you might fall asleep on a sunday afternoon in the backyard with the wife, but it aint for camping two to a hammock.
these style hammocks are near impossible to fall out of while sleeping. you'd have to be doing some real gymnastics. if you can set it up at the house and get the kid in it and let them get the feel for it they'd probably be good to go just being nearby an adult. .

Here is a (terrible) picture from a 2009 hike I did with my father and brother - we were in the backwoods, but found a nice spot that we could hang in triangle and rig our tarps to have a dry common area in between them all. the dark gray tarp on the right is the ENO dryfly. the light gray is the sportsmans guide. I don't recall the make of the green one right off.
a-S.jpg
Now THAT is cool. I spent most of my life thinking hammocks were for dirty hippies, but I’ve finally come around.

Inexpensive? I have been very happy with ticket to the moon + bugnet. For anything colder you need either sleeping bad or underquilt wich adds up the cost.

You may want to consider adding some type of ground pad. This serves two purposes. One is to have a place to put your gear off the ground, and to step on when getting in and out of the hammock while your shoes/boots are off to prevent your socks from getting dirty. The other is in case you need to set up quickly on the ground or if there are no suitable trees to hang your hammock. In that case you will want something to protect your body from the ground.

The reason you might want to set up quickly is if there is a sudden downpour. In that case you may not have time to find good cover or locate a good spot to hang your hammock.

You may want to consider adding some type of ground pad. This serves two purposes. One is to have a place to put your gear off the ground, and to step on when getting in and out of the hammock while your shoes/boots are off to prevent your socks from getting dirty. The other is in case you need to set up quickly on the ground or if there are no suitable trees to hang your hammock. In that case you will want something to protect your body from the ground.

The reason you might want to set up quickly is if there is a sudden downpour. In that case you may not have time to find good cover or locate a good spot to hang your hammock.

Good advice this! I use Bundeswehr ground tarp for this because it's tough and packs in small space. It also helps you to not lose your things to the ground vegetation when you organize your things while you set up camp or do your things.

For a cheap "test drive", Amazon has a popular brand there for ~$20. You get what you pay for though so, keep that in mind with your assessment.

I have a Hennessey hammock with a built in bug net that i've had for years and would highly recommend them! I have the bottom entry w velcro and really like it! If there's mosquitoes, just gotta make sure ya have an underquilt because they can bite through the hammock fabric

Back