Help for some soldiers

Bobby Branton

Dear fellow knife enthusiast,

I received the following e mail from a Detachment Commander of a Special Forces Team at Fort Bragg, NC. I followed up to verify that he was legit.
Below is an excerpt from his e mail.
The detachment had a very difficult and eventful deployment during our last trip to Afghanistan. The boys did great and I couldn't be prouder of them. The team was involved in some of the most difficult fighting, in the most austere terrain on Earth. The detachment was awarded 10 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars (V), 2 Army Commendation Medals (V) and 1 Air Force Cross. Unfortunately, I am nearing the end of the Team Leader time (June 1) and would love to do something special for my guys in order to convey my appreciation for everything they did and continue to do on a daily basis. I owe everything to them, including my life on multiple occasions. I would also like to give them something to remember our brotherhood and commemorate the detachment forever. I was thinking of something similar to your Marauder knife or a fighting tomahawk....as they s!
seem to fit the aggressive personality of the team. Maybe with the detachment logo or an inscription. Unfortunately I want to purchase these for the team with my own funds, so I'm not sure it's even feasible to purchase 10-12 knives of your quality and outstanding reputation. I am looking to do something with low visibility to the public, and completely unavailable to anyone else.
If you get a chance, please shoot me an email or give me a call if you think you might be able to help me show these guys the appreciation and recognition they truly deserve.
Thanks so much!

I am once again seeking your help. The help is not for me, but for the Detachment Commander of a Special Forces Team at Fort Bragg, NC who wrote the e mail.. He is not asking for free knives, but he is working on very limited funds and was unaware of the cost involved in ordering a custom knife. I am willing to give him a discount, but I am not able to do more at this time.

The knives that he is wanting to purchase cost $299.00 each. I am looking for individuals or companies that would like to sponsor one or more knives to help reward these soldiers who have sacrificed so much so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms that we enjoy.
(1) If you sponsor a soldier by purchasing a knife at full value, I will include a nice letter with the donors name and personal message by the donor to the soldier.

(2) If you choose to sponsor a soldier with a charitable donation of any amount, I will include your name on a list of donors that will be presented to the soldier.

(3) If you choose to sponsor a soldier by purchasing a knife, I will offer you a 15% discount on any knife that I make for one year from the date that you donate to the soldier
I know all too well that these are difficult times for all of us. So, lets see if we can pull together and help out soldiers. Regardless of the participation in this program, I will make sure that these guys are rewarded for their sacrifice. For more detailed information, feel free to contact me at brantonknives@tds.net

Sincerely,
Bobby

P.S.

I have had people asking about how to donate via Pay Pal.
My Pay Pal address is brantonknives@tds.net
Please put your real name and "For the Soldiers" in the message box

Last edited:
Three hundred dollar knives-- 10 or 12 of them-- seems a little extreme. I think the officer making the request of you could convey the same 'thanks' to his men by presenting each with a smaller gift, say a BUCK 110, or something else that he could afford.

There are horror stories of our service men barely making ends meet, feeding thier families with food stamps, ect. Three hundred dollars in cold, hard cash, rather than cold steel would have a greater, perhaps more lasting impact, on thier lives. . One of my favorite charities is the Michigan National Guard Family Fund, which assists the families of serving reservists. I think I am doing much, much more for them than I would by paying big bucks for an overpriced 'momento' from an officer who once commanded them.

Just my opinion.. and since you are asking us to contribute, you have to accept it.

Last edited:
Three hundred dollar knives-- 10 or 12 of them-- seems a little extreme. I think the officer making the request of you could convey the same 'thanks' to his men by presenting each with a smaller gift, say a BUCK 110, or something else that he could afford.

There are horror stories of our service men barely making ends meet, feeding thier families with food stamps, ect. Three hundred dollars in cold, hard cash, rather than cold steel would have a greater, perhaps more lasting impact, on thier lives. . One of my favorite charities is the Michigan National Guard Family Fund, which assists the families of serving reservists. I think I am doing much, much more for them than I would by paying big bucks for an overpriced 'momento' from an officer who once commanded them.

Just my opinion.. and since you are asking us to contribute, you have to accept it.

Don't worry your self over the request. I am not looking for opinions nor do I have to accept your opinion. I do not consider my knives "Overpriced Momento's". I guess you did not read the post thoroughly. He simply inquired about buying some knives not realizing the cost of the knives. The offer was from me and not him. I already have 7 sponsors from another forum with the more lined up and willing to help.

BB

It would not have been out of line for you to suggest a less expensive alternative. But at least doing things your way, you'll have more pics of your knives in action with the troops for your website, right?

My god, most of the knife community, led by you makers of "highspeed, hardcore use, brute force, massive, nearly useless tactical monster knives are getting a collective erection over the our present wars and the knives the people fighting them are using. Blade Magazine this month... "Knives For The Spring Afgan push". Back to maker's websites... all of you playing on the use of your expensive blades in battle zones. Matters not the people actually doing the fighting. Nor if the wars are right or wrong or should be ceased immediately and the troops brought home.

I am a combat veteran of VietNam. A three hundred dollar knife is not a necessity, and depending on it's size, is not even feasible at times. Momentos to recall those days of horror and glory and fear and death and dying? The value of them fades greatly over the years, as that young man becomes older and decides that his war year(s) were but a small part of his life.

Very well that you have found some sponsers for your efforts to get your name out here in the knife world.

It would not have been out of line for you to suggest a less expensive alternative. But at least doing things your way, you'll have more pics of your knives in action with the troops for your website, right?

My god, most of the knife community, led by you makers of "highspeed, hardcore use, brute force, massive, nearly useless tactical monster knives are getting a collective erection over the our present wars and the knives the people fighting them are using. Blade Magazine this month... "Knives For The Spring Afgan push". Back to maker's websites... all of you playing on the use of your expensive blades in battle zones. Matters not the people actually doing the fighting. Nor if the wars are right or wrong or should be ceased immediately and the troops brought home.

I am a combat veteran of VietNam. A three hundred dollar knife is not a necessity, and depending on it's size, is not even feasible at times. Momentos to recall those days of horror and glory and fear and death and dying? The value of them fades greatly over the years, as that young man becomes older and decides that his war year(s) were but a small part of his life.

Very well that you have found some sponsers for your efforts to get your name out here in the knife world.

If you would care to go back and re read the post, you will see that he wishes to keep this low key. That is why there is no mention of his group. I do not advertise myself as a Hardcore, high speed maker. There will be no magazine story which I am sure I could get. There will not be any pics on my site, not at their request, but as a sign or respect from me.
You do what you can do for the troops and I will do what I can do for them also.
I would appreciated it if you would not post on my forum anymore as you have nothing to to offer but negativity. I surely do not need it.
BB

I will certainly honor your request to not post here further. Unless I have to respond to denigrating comments about my post.

perhaps it should be viewed not as a memento of the horrors of war, but as a memento of the brotherhood they formed, and the friendships they may have for the rest of their lives.

this c.o. wants to do this for his team. he solicited the job, not the other way around.

as far as i know, mr. branton is not a politician, he is a knifemaker and business man. should he have turned down this officer because he (or anyone) feels this war should not be fought?

making some knives for our troops overseas has nothing to do with the politics or ugliness of war.

i dont see mr. branton attempting to promote himself or his company in doing this.

What Morimotom said. I'm not able to sponsor a knife at this time, but I did send a small donation via paypal. Sorry I couldn't help more.

I will certainly honor your request to not post here further. Unless I have to respond to denigrating comments about my post.

With 23 posts you should read more and post less. Get the idea. It angers me when someone, out of the goodness of his heart is trying to make this world a better place is second guessed by some armchair general, noob, you should learn to keep your opinions to yourself when it regards others helping people. I did not exactly see you stepping up with cash to help the boys. You dontate a few thousand dollars and Ill eat my words. In the meantime Your willingingness to snipe a good man but you dont put your money where your mouth is...PT list inductee..:barf:

Hey Ren! You still in Sunfield, Michigan? I donated to the virtual hat you passed around a few years ago for the single mom with no job. She doing OK? I thought that was pretty big of you.

Last edited:
Back