History of Cold Steel Push-knives

I currently have 2, and had another one before, and none of them had/have a number on the back. But they all had/have the fold-over type sheath, so I guess they're newer.

I’ve had this Urban Skinner since the late eighties. I bought it out of (I believe) the US Cavalry catalog when I was on active duty, for no other reason than I thought it was cool looking. At one time, I carried it a lot but used it almost never. I took it with me to Desert Storm and on numerous road trips. It gave me some sense of security at various Interstate rest stops in the middle of the night.

E54DE92D-0188-4088-8796-5DCF149B867F.jpeg

0B106F6C-D94E-4BF9-BFC7-C36F63507918.jpeg

Anyway, I’m cataloging my collection and I can’t seem to find a model number for this one. It seems to have been labeled as the #12II and #35GLK in, respectively, the Defender and Safe Keeper series. Would anyone happen to know the model# for the Urban Skinner?

Last edited:
I have one NIB and the model number on the box label is 12. So the Urban Skinner was 12, and the Magnum Skinner/Terminator was 24, and then when they became the Defender series, they changed to 12-I (double-edge) and 12-II (single-edge).

Not sure why, but the 1988 CS catalog doesn't include model numbers.

Awesome! Thanks for that. I suspected as much but I couldn’t find confirmation in any of the printed info.
Thanks again!

That does look exactly like mine. I wish I’d had the wherewithal to save the boxes for a lot of my early knives and other things I bought. It just never occurred to me that I might be looking back, 25-30 years in the future, trying to remember what something was!
Now that I see the printed info that came with your knife, I can clearly remember the black and white pamphlet with the line drawing of the knife. I never would have otherwise.
Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg
I got this coming, been looking for one(and a Safekeeper I too still)for a while now, is that the correct sheath? If so the ring at the bottom was removed by OP?

Sheath looks good from what I can see, but someone must have removed the key ring tab for some reason.

I thought so, too, and it's possible that that's the case. But after researching it some, I believe there might have been a run made without the key ring tab. These aren't my photos, but they depict another model bearing the same labeling as nephron's knife and the accompanying sheath is also without a tab.

IMG-4909.jpg

IMG-4910.jpg

There may have been more variations of the Urban Pal than we thought. nephron, when you receive your knife, please let us know whether the sheath looks stock or modified.

-Steve

Last edited:
I’ve had this Urban Skinner since the late eighties. I bought it out of (I believe) the US Cavalry catalog when I was on active duty, for no other reason than I thought it was cool looking. At one time, I carried it a lot but used it almost never. I took it with me to Desert Storm and on numerous road trips. It gave me some sense of security at various Interstate rest stops in the middle of the night.

0B106F6C-D94E-4BF9-BFC7-C36F63507918.jpeg

Anyway, I’m cataloging my collection and I can’t seem to find a model number for this one. It seems to have been labeled as the #12II and #35GLK in, respectively, the Defender and Safe Keeper series. Would anyone happen to know the model# for the Urban Skinner?

Thanks for sharing this! I didn't serve in Desert Storm, but I purchased one while in the Army at roughly the same time you did. (I can't remember where I bought it. It was one of three mail-order places: U.S. Cavalry, Cutlery Shoppe, or directly from Cold Steel.) I also carried it for years for defensive purposes. It made for a comforting companion!

Since you carried yours to war, please consider adding a post to my Cold Steel Knives in Combat thread. It's always great to see more pictures and read the stories of the Cold Steel knives guys carried while in the service.

-Steve

I thought so, too, and it's possible that that's the case. But after researching it some, I believe there might have been a run made without the key ring tab. These aren't my photos, but they depict another model bearing the same labeling as nephron's knife and the accompanying sheath is also without a tab.

FF4hz7X.jpg

p3Xb9jm.jpg

There may have been more variations of the Urban Pal than we thought. nephron, when you receive your knife, please let us know whether the sheath looks stock or modified.

-Steve

Looking at my sheath it looks like the end of it has rougher leather like maybe from a removal? Cannot tell as well in your picture if it has been modified but as soon as I get it I will post a better picture of the sheath. Can't wait to add it to the family album. Here are some of the collection.IMG_1564 - Copy.JPG

I thought so, too, and it's possible that that's the case. But after researching it some, I believe there might have been a run made without the key ring tab. These aren't my photos, but they depict another model bearing the same labeling as nephron's knife and the accompanying sheath is also without a tab. There may have been more variations of the Urban Pal than we thought.

-Steve

Could very well be...the non fold-over sheath in the 1982 magazine ad has a hole in one upper corner for the ring, and the fold-over sheath in the 1984 catalog has a hole at the bottom instead of the tab. So I guess anything is possible. The one in nephron's pic looks a little "fuzzy" at the end though, like remnants of a tab that was once there...

Definitely modified sheath. Condition of knife and sheath better than expected, looks new, I am a happy camper. Now if I can find a Safekeeper I reasonable my collection would be pretty complete( I think, I hope lol).

Attachments

• IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 13
Definitely modified sheath. Condition of knife and sheath better than expected, looks new, I am a happy camper. Now if I can find a Safekeeper I reasonable my collection would be pretty complete( I think, I hope lol).

A shame about the sheath, but it doesn't look bad at all. The knife is in great shape! Glad that you found one for your collection. Thanks for the pictures!

-Steve

Yes, I have an Urban Shiv. Would like to get a Hunter too, but they seem to be even more rare.
vD8Z2VGl.jpg

That is a fancy sheath,do you have pix/info on the Hunter & Shiv? You must have one heck of a collection.

Only info I have is from this magazine ad, circa 1982. It mentions "multiple carrying attachments", but not sure what that entailed. My sheath has a belt clip, but also a section of velcro (fuzzy half) on the back.
epQ6fMrl.jpg

Very cool to see some CS history from right around when I was born!!! Awesome thread!! I love the nice leather from back in the day, I maybe dreaming of that urban shiv tonight lol

Back