History of Cold Steel Tantos - Unauthorized and Probably Incomplete

I will add then what the seller writes (translated).
For sale: tanto knife (recon) 80s blade 13cm 440c steel handle 13cm kraton handle recon tanto real leather sheath bought at oldsman in amsterdam (end of 80s)

It still looks pretty nice if you ask me. It seems like they copied it while trying not to infringe.

Well, now Viper1357's story has me questioning my sheath chronology. I thought the fold-over style was first, but now I need to research that. I have an early ad that calls out the availability of the Kydex sheath. I'll have to find it to see what year it ran and which version of sheath is depicted. Unfortunately, I can't access my magazines at the moment, so the answer will have to wait. I'll post back here when I figure it out.
Well, it took me a while, but I finally tracked down my magazines and looked up the first ad for the Ki Quick Draw Sheath. Here it is in its inaugural appearance in the February 1986 issue of Soldier of Fortune.

IMG-0056.jpg

IMG-0057.png

As you can see from the close-up, the rivet pattern matches the fold-over version.

IMG-0066.jpg

So, while the first version made available commercially as the Ki Quick Draw Sheath was the fold-over style, it was not Cold Steel’s first model. That ad had to be supplied to SoF’s advertising department in September of 1985 to make the February ‘86 issue, which means the Ki sheath was available mid-to-late 1985. But V Viper1357 purchased his promotional dealer’s sample model with the sewn-on Kydex belt clip in September 1984, thus making that version the first by roughly a year.

I think it’s amazing that Lynn was experimenting with Kydex at least as early as 1984. Not only was Cold Steel the first production manufacturer to offer Kydex sheaths for its knives, but it was doing so when the technology was still in its infancy, even among custom knife makers.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

-Steve

That's awesome! I never realized that Kydex was even a thing in the beginning stages that early on. I remember the Tantos all being offered with the well known leather sheaths (like the vast majority of fixed blades regardless of manufacturer) at the time, and even into the 90's.

Amazing when you delve into the history of knives in the 80's. Clearly Mr. Thompson was ahead of his time even then.

Thanks for looking that up and letting us know about this.

I recently scored this at an estate sale - I don't see it listed on this page. Does that mean this knife is later? I am assuming it is from the mid 90's. It has a 9" blade.

Anyone have any knowledge about this badass piece of steel?

20240221_221929.jpg20240221_221940.jpg

Cheers

That knife is an Oyabun and not part of the Tanto/Master/Magnum Tanto series.

It is part of the same series as the Kobun and the Kobun/Oyabun has its own history thread as well as a recent thread advocating bringing it back into production.

That knife is an Oyabun and not part of the Tanto/Master/Magnum Tanto series.

It is part of the same series as the Kobun and the Kobun/Oyabun has its own history thread as well as a recent thread advocating bringing it back into production.

After I made this post I dug deeper and found the Kobun/Oyabun thread. Loving all the knowledge in these threads!

Hi Everyone - Im a long time member and reader of this and many other of the CS threads. I have a question that I hope someone here may be able to help me answer... In reference to the CS Master Tanto #13M, I see that the 400 SS version has a raised spine. My question is, does the San Mai III version also have a raised spine...? It's hard to tell from the pic in this thread, but it looks like it does not and I cant recall ever seeing one. Im having trouble attaching the pic for reference, but its the last pic of the blades before the leather sheaths...

Thanks in advance for all the years of amazing information...

Hi Everyone - Im a long time member and reader of this and many other of the CS threads. I have a question that I hope someone here may be able to help me answer... In reference to the CS Master Tanto #13M, I see that the 400 SS version has a raised spine. My question is, does the San Mai III version also have a raised spine...? It's hard to tell from the pic in this thread, but it looks like it does not and I cant recall ever seeing one. Im having trouble attaching the pic for reference, but its the last pic of the blades before the leather sheaths...

Thanks in advance for all the years of amazing information...
Check out post #13...it also has the raised spine.

Back