Holy Deviation Beckerman!

Scuttlery

Gold Member
A BK-19 quality control story...

(Thought initially that I might have to send up the Becker Signal - but things fortunately didn't come to that...)

I bought my 1st BK-19 (sight unseen/online) and upon receipt found there to be an impossible to overlook deviation to the left. Only option was to return the knife/cancel the order with the option to order another. Sale was over and I would have had to pay more for a replacement.

When I examined the cutting edge (as shown in the next photo) with the knife resting on its spine - from the base to the tip - there was an obvious deviation/issue with the grind (as well as a strange vertical mark on the side of the knife - at approximately the location where the deviation started - almost like it'd been used to pry something open). The finish was smooth/no damage in that location - just a questionable "mark" of sorts... ?

I have more than one Becker that has a less-than-perfect grind and am not typically concerned. In this case, things were a little too cattywampus. I remembered a post in which Uncle Ethan suggested another person contact KA-BAR to address a quality control issue with their knife and that KA-BAR should make things right. So I did... I contacted KA-BAR, explained the matter and sent photos of the knife. I was made aware that they wanted to inspect the knife in person - to see if the knife/grind was within specs. KA-BAR kindly provided a return shipping label and I sent it in.

In the end, the knife apparently wasn't within specs, and I was made aware that they would "hand inspect a replacement" - which has since been received and is completely satisfactory (post modification photos to be added sometime in the future...).

Top-notch KA-BAR! Great customer service, another nice Becker, and a consistently satisfied customer...

Glad to hear this has a happy ending.
Kudos to KA-BAR for making this right.

Wow, that was way off. Good to see they took care of it.

VqXFMjQ.jpeg

Back