How about cheapskate sheath? My homemade sheath for JaakariPuukko 140

I bought the JaakariPuukko 140 Forgotten Weapon edition over a year ago. I got the knife only because I don't like the leather sheath and it's not available with the plastic sheath. The plastic sheath is sold separately and then paying extra for mounting option, so about 70 CA$. I was using it occasionally in other knives' sheaths.

I decided to make my own. I haven't sew anything for nearly 2 decades, dedusting the old 2nd hand sewing machine I bought for my mother, she is alive, she just doesn't have time for sewing hobby anymore. The 1000D M05 Finnish pattern fabric and the webbing are from Varusteleka. Then 350$ of different stuffs and tools. Yes, 350$ to save 70$. Though I have more than enough leftover to make 10 of more of these and some tools are for my main job anyway (the reason I even started the project).

Here is the result:
Layered with 600D polyester fabric back side
HDPE liner
IMG_20240331_164617.jpg

IMG_20240331_164633.jpg

IMG_20240331_164807.jpg

Taco sheath so it fall in line with other knives+ sheath of the Northern European region.
IMG_20240331_164521.jpg

I intended to use paracord as retention through the grommets, but fell lazy and went with zip ties...

Look like shit, but it works decently enough. It was fun making it, refreshing my skills and learning new things (especially troubleshooting the sewing machine. Fortunately, this old machine was able to handle the webbing, 3 layers even).

I'll disagree, looks good to me!! Appears to be sturdy & rugged enough for hiking, hunting, or general woods duties. Hope the knife & sheath combo bring you years of joy.

The choice of dark'ish camo goes well with the black edge binding. Zoomed in, the stitching lines up & is even with the binding material. Well executed attachment setup on the back. Replacing zip ties will be small issue.

Tell sewing machine what a good job it did after its long vacation. 😉

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

The liner is made 1.5mm from HDPE, should be durable enough considering similar stuff is used for military equipment. I have 2 weekend field ex this month, I will definitely bring it out to try.

Nicely done.

I once made a sheath from cardboard and duct tape. Of course, that's not for beginners. 🥳
So have I, more than once. Although perhaps "mask" might be more appropriate for the ones I did. SWMBO belonged to a Cooking Club where members rotated the hosting and the cooking responsibilities. She hated using other peoples' knives, so she wanted to take ours. Ever the helpful hubbie, I assisted.

It's amazing how effective some cardboard cut from a Priority Mail box, and a few wraps of tape, can be.

Back