How long should you wait?

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I'm guessing this is OT so I'll post it here. I was curious as to what is the ethical why to go about selling a knife a customer hasn't picked up. Example, you take a custom order and give a estimated completion date. Upon completion, you call the customer to let them know their knife is ready for delivery. How long do you give them to pay you before you sell it to someone else. What is a reasonable amount of time to hold a knife and wait for payment? 3 months, 6 months, a year? I haven't had this occur but would like to know if and when it might happen. Any thoughts? Thanks
Scott

Scott I had this very issue, and lost a friend over it. A guy asked me to make him a knife, I let him know about a month before it was going to be done and again when it was ready. About four months later I finally sold it. Hell of it was, that was the one and only time I'd taken a deposit and I'd ended up sending the deposit to another maker who was having some health problems. Then the guy got his income tax back and wanted his knife; I said I'd sold it, and that was that. No more friend. That's why I don't take deposits any more and why I tell people when their drop dead date for picking up orders is. So far that's been the only one gone awry though, luckily.

By the way, I don't think this would have been off topic.

I don't ask for deposits ethier but sometimes they insist on giving me a deposit. The reason I ask this is the large camp knife I had posted is a custom order. The guy gave me his phone# but hasn't answered the messages I've left. I'm sure he'll call because he gave me a deposit when I told him I don't require one. He was insistent on giving me some money. This incident got me thinking what if he doesn't get back to me? That's why I'm asking so I can have an idea of what to do.
Scott

I've been faced with this a time or two, so far its all worked out OK. The first time was a custom order, from a repeat customer. When the knife was ready they didn't answer any emails. After a couple months I figured I'd try one more time then sell the knife somewhere else. Right before I was going to send them the final message, they got in contact with me and paid for the knife. All worked out fine, just a little delay. I'd have preferred they at least answered my email and gave me some kind of an explanation, but they've been a good customer and there's no hard feelings.

I'd say the length you wait is something you'll have to come up with for yourself cause it will depend on each customer and the agreement you had, and how you view the situation. Things can come up unexpectedly and maybe they don't have the money right away. You have to figure out how long you can wait without hurting yourself on the deal, and what seems a reasonable amount of time to expect them to come up with the cash in.

I don't think I'd ever wait less than a month though as business trips, computer crashes and all sorts of things could keep them occupied for that long.

I take deposits, been screwed too many times, and will continue till I know my customer. Last year I had a customer that had ordered several items He ordered a bowie and paid a deposit when the knife was done he paid the balance and all was fine. In about a month He orders another Bowie and gave him a good price, He said that a deposit was in the mail I never received it and finished the knife and called him and told him it was done. He said he would send a check and even called to confirm the amount. A month went by, no check I emailed and asked if the post office lost the check,He answered that he would send a check the next day. I waited a month and added $100 to the price of the Bowie and sent it to Blade Gallery.
I WILL NOT BEG FOR MONEY FROM ANYONE Knife byers need to think of makers to.
Sorry for the rant. Gib

I always take a deposit
I tell them it is to get on the list and buy supplies if they don't take the knife it just paid for the time
they took from the customer ahead of them..
if they want, I will apply the deposit to another knife if they want but they will have to wait in line again. I don't have time to mess with them,,
time wise, I have enough problems trying to keep the ones that want knives on time happy. it's the biz end of it Dave..
Dave you sold the knife and hopefully you made the same amount on it
plus the deposit...
so why not ofter him another one? if it's not to late.. :confused:

just explain to him what you did for him and ask why he didn't tell you what was going on with him? you deserve that at the least. :(

It sounds as if every makers situation is different. I was taking deposits but felt pressured to get the knife finished because I had someone's money. I know it was for the start up cost of making the knife but subconsiously it made me uncomfortable. The only time I insist on a deposit is if it is a very unusual knife that would be hard to resell. From what you guys have said, I'll have to rethink my payment policy. Thanks for the imput.
Scott

Razorback - Knives said:
It sounds as if every makers situation is different. I was taking deposits but felt pressured to get the knife finished because I had someone's money. I know it was for the start up cost of making the knife but subconsiously it made me uncomfortable. The only time I insist on a deposit is if it is a very unusual knife that would be hard to resell. From what you guys have said, I'll have to rethink my payment policy. Thanks for the imput.
Scott

Scott you can always take the deposit when you're ready to start the knife
that way you and he will be ready to do business, then he can change his mind closer to the start time if he wants and you
and he will be out nothing..
if you take money up front and can't do the job for 3 months, well that will put the pressure on for sure . just allow enough time to do the job because of unforeseen things, it's a hard job at times to stay on task..

Back