In the shop 12/14/2011

I have had a busy couple of days and if you looked at the work two days ago you can really see a huge change. In fact, the knives are ready for taking photos and selling.

2011_12140002.jpg
This photo was taken after I finished polishing the metal on the knife. I tape off the stone to prevent "clouding" the polish with the polishing compound and wheels used for the polishing. The tape also prevents me from getting the stone too hot and either cracking or crazing on the surface. I use a total of five wheels and four different compounds depending on what part of the knife I am polishing with the fifth wheel being a scotchbrite wheel for removing scratches from the blade ricasso mostly.

2011_12140003.jpg
This is the next step photo. I use a very small amount of high grade oil on the pivot points and I do this before I do the knife clean up so that I can remove any excess oil in the cleaning step that is next.

2011_12140004.jpg
This is the cleaning stage where I use a solvent to remove all of the buffing compound I can get out of the well, the blade pivot area and along the rocker arm.

2011_12140006.jpg
This is a very tedious two step stage. I first use Semichrome polish to get out as many of the micro scratches that are left from the fine "no scratch" pink buffing compound on the last of the cotton buffing wheels. I then use Kiwi Neutral Shoe polish to clean off the metal and stone. It removes a bunch of black residue from the metal polishing stages. I use one micro fiber buff for the Semichrome; one for the Kiwi wax and a final new one for the final wipe down.

2011_12140007.jpg
This is what they look like before I start the photo stage. I often need to do a bit of touch up with Semichrome and Kiwi wax as I always seem to find a few new scratches that just seem to pop up with the knives just sitting there. I think Silver Nickel get scratches from just looking at it!

Last edited:
Looking great! Where is the Rhodonite from? Bright stuff! I also really like the different Tigereye, Dinosaur bone and is that Jade? Nice!

Your lapidary work is outstanding!

Daniel,

Thanks for the kind comments. I do not know where the Rhodonite is from but it was being sold as "Bubblegum Rhodonite" when I bought it many years ago. I do a lot of works in Jade, and Jade will be a very rare stone to find in the future now that buyers from China have found the British Columbia mines. They bought 100% of of the Jade mined this year as well as all of the Jade in the Jadeyards for the following mines: Kutcho, Ogden, Polar and Cassiar. They are also buying all of the Jadeite mined in Myanmar (Burma). This was not a good year for me in buying flawless stone for my inventory.

Master Craftsman and Artist Michael,

Wow, this group is outstanding with beautiful and rare stones. They certainly have come to life in the last two days. I am sure interested in at least six of the Gems. Thanks for starting this enjoyable forum. Time permitting, I will eventually get to show some photos of your specimens that I have been so pleased to obtain (86 and counting).

Happy Holidays this Christmas Season,
Dennis

Back