Water Inflatable Kayak Experience?

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So my wife, her father, and I recently discovered during a hike that there are hundreds of miles worth of water trails around our home, with one 104-mile trail starting about 3 miles from our new house.

I'm used to rigid kayaks with friends and family but haven't owned one myself as I've always been into other outdoor activities, cycling especially. As I was looking into kayaks and what to look for and all that nerdy stuff I like to do I was introduced to inflatable kayaks, and I was intrigued.

We are looking for a tandem as my wife won't go without me as she doesn't like being in a boat on her own, which is fine because most tandems become big single kayaks anyway when moving the seats around.

Another caveat is that I'm far from a lightweight guy at 250 in the off-season and closer to 220-230 in the bike racing season (spring and summer). I understand there are weight limits to the kayaks but never really considered it too much until looking into something that is less from a Walmart or Dick's and more of an REI or Moosejaw type thing.

I was curious if anyone has any experiences, input, suggestions, etc. I think we're going to try and do the 104-mile trail next year, my father-in-law already bought a kayak after we found the trail Thanksgiving day.

The Alpacka rafts are supposed to be the real deal (and if you follow them on Instagram for instance, they seem to be used in some pretty gnarly conditions), but they are costly.

Does it have to be a inflatable? If not there are several high quality (and expensive) folding kayaks, like Kleppers, as well as foldable canoes, that will easily carry two people and their gear. John

It doesn't have to be inflatable as long as it can fit into a car. Now that I know there are good inflatables available where I don't have to spend more on a racking system to transport a 1-piece, that's the direction I want to go.

I'll have to look into the folding kayaks as I haven't really considered that. The inflatables I have on my radar have internal aluminum frames to add rigidity and then the air bladders work around that.

I think the advanced elements convertible is currently top on my list as it seems to have good features, good reviews, and I can get it at a small discount through a mountain bike organization I'm a part of.

I don't own an inflatable kayak. My experience with inflatables in general is that they are less maneuverable in the water and slower if you're paddling than a similar hard sided boat. Should be fine going down river.

The A. E. with the optional stiffer floor looks like a reasonable option for some one who doesn't have the storage for a hard boat.- I'm looking at retirement and simplifying/downsizing soon and may be in that position. Gotta sell 6 yaks and two canoes first!:)-KV

I actually found a closeout A.E. convertible for me and the wife to try out. Purchased the backbone/keel insert and 2-person cover as well. The backbone is supposed to add some rigidity and create a more pronounce v-shape so that it cuts through water better and tracks nicer. I may upgrade to the high-pressure/drop-stitch floor as well later but it was a bit pricey and I wanted to see how it handles without it first. I didn't want to drop too much on trying out an inflatable but didn't want something that feels cheap either.

The particular inflatable kayak is also supposed to be decent for longer trips because of the added storage. I am somewhat concerned about the handling loaded for longer trips and through some shallow water rivers but I won't know until I try. I know parts of the river last year were almost walking territory for a canoe and you had to rent kayaks as they don't sit in the water as much.

The couple big lakes that are part of the water trail create a lot of variation. Most of the rivers are slow from what I've been on but the water trail ends on Lake Erie/ Detroit River which has a bit more current I think and a lot choppier water. My father-in-law grabbed a 17-ft hardshell touring dealy so it will be interesting to see how the two compare.

95995_700.jpg

When I was a kid there were adventurous types with kayaks . But this was on the shallow Delaware river and if you saw the bottoms of the kayaks you would laugh trying to count the tire patches !! These were canvas stretched over a wooden frame. I had a couple of locally made fiberglass touring kayaks which were nice. Aluminum canoes didn't hold up well. The plastic ones ,no longer made , were the best. Rocks make things rough !!

Supposedly some of the inflateable are similar in make to white water rafts and are very puncture and tear resistant. The bounce instead of stick and rip. The things are armored like a kevlar vest with lots several layers. It reminds me a lot of how puncture resistant tires are made up.

Some of the blog posts I read suggested the inflatables handle rocks better because of the bounce, because they're repairable (on the spot), and because the hard kayaks have a tendency to ride up onto things where the inflatable bounce around or flex over them. This is all in theory as I haven't used one. There was a video from sea kayaks where they try to show how tough there whitewater kayak model and goes at it with a claw hammer.

The one above has some aluminum sub-frame in the bow and stern so I'm curious if that bends up during collisions and such or if it keeps the kayak from bouncing off like others. Most reviews suggested the forms helped it track a lot better and the price was good so I figured it was worth the risk.

Back