Is SOG a good knife brand?

Just wondering what's up with SOG? I like many of their tactical designs in fixed blade and folders but often I hesitate to buy them because some SOG knives seem to be too CHEAP! Other examples can seen to be over priced? So what is up with SOG? Are they generally decent across the board or is there some to watch out for? I have a few SOG's in different price ranges and I feel like even their cheap line is well built. One of my favorites is SOG Twitch Tanto folder that I have had forever! I can't even find an example of it on the internet (only Twitch II and other variations) but it is a sharp, well built knife! I would love to find an original Pentagon fixed blade but I might have to settle for the new Pentagon, maybe even in a folder design! Just looking for a little insight into SOG! This pic isn't mine but it is close to my Twitch!

Last edited:
Back in the 1980's and 90's when the competition was very different and SOG was made in a different place, they were pretty good. Today they are spotty, some SOG's were decent and others are crap.

My impression of modern SOG is them being Cold Steel's neglected brother in GSM's welfare family. Used to be a smaller and less goofy competitor. I don't have any modern SOG knives but if the Taiwanese ones are made in the same factory as CS they're bound to be decent quality at least.

The older Japan made knives were very good, the current China made stuff is fit for flea markets and gas stations.

N2s

Back