Just got my "first" Sebenza, have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarman

BANNED
I just got my first(certainly not my last) Sebenza and I must say I am quite happy with it. I got it second hand but it looks and feels brand new. It was only sharpened once and only has a few cosmetic scratches on the handle. The card it came with is dated 26 Oct 98. Don't know who signed it though.
Everything about this knife screams perfection(is it just me).
I am curious though if any other Sebenza owners are hesitant to put it to work. I certainly do love this knife and find myself babying it already. Is this normal or do I need help?
redface.gif

------------------
The greatest thought that has ever entered my mind is that one day I will have to stand before a Holy God and give an account of my life.
*Daniel Webster

Rev 20:12

I had the same reservations, once you scuff the handle, then you will use it on a regular basis. As for more, yup, it is like an addiction... I ended up with the Zulu Trio, and now I am working on a Robar Coated Sebenza (yes, I know it is not covered under warrantee...) trade... Come on Phil, ya know I will give it a good home!

Here's what you do: buy your self a few $2000 Microtech's then the Sebenza's price won't seem so outrageous. Use it, it would be a shame not to use IMO the finest utility folder there is.

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"
BFC Member Since October 2, 1998

Scarman:
I am probably in the same boat. I have looked, read, discussed, anything I could find regarding the sebenza. My preference would be the small one. I'm saving bottle caps for my first one. I've heard they are sharp as a scalpel. Have seen many pictures, but never handled one.

Surface scuffs on the plain titanium scales can easily be removed when cleaning the knife.
Just disassemble the knife and wash the scales with soft scrub.
Works like a charm on all but the deepest scratches.
I carry and use my Umfaan everyday. It's been in my pocket for almost a year and still looks new.
Bill

I completely agree with Glen. The more you use it the more you appreciate it. I bought my sebenza used also, and still babied it when I first got it. I used it gradually, first on cutting things that were easy on the blade. Then one day I dropped it on concrete, *OUCH*. And started using it even more without worry about babying it. Now that I look back, I'm glad I dropped it. It's a great knife that is meant to be used!

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

We had a hot dog roast at church a few nights back. My sister-in-law needed some sticks whittled down to cook the hot dogs. The only knife I had on me at the time was my Sebenza (those of you who know me, don't ask where the REST of the knives were....long story). I didn't want to use it, but my sister-in-law is one of those people I would do ANYTHING for, so I set out to whittling. I checked the knife later and there isn't a mark on the stonewashed finish of the blade or on the cutting edge! These weren't very soft sticks, so I expected some abrasion marks of some type. The knife still looks new! I checked the edge and sure enough, it will still shave.

Scarman,
Congratulations on getting your Sebe, I know you've been looking forward to it for a while! The card should besigned by Chris Reeve, just hard to read his signature.
Follow everyone's advice, just use it.

Richard,
Great wife!!

I agree that the sebenza is a great knife, but my interests have now led me elsewhere and I have a sebenza in excellent condition (large, not decorated) for sale on the for sale forum for $275 if anyone is interested.
It has not been resharpened and is still factory sharp and has box,tool,papers etal.

scarman,

Hope you don't mind but as this thread is on Sebenzas and we now have a CRK Forum, I'm moving it there....

-=[Bob]=-

well i followed it over here so the move worked out ok.

ok seems everybody has nothing but recomendations tward actually using the seb.

but everyone has asked concerning plain knives.

would you use a decorated? how well does the polished grind hold up to ues?

------------------
'Till next time,
Rich the kite guy

Hey Scarman, congrats! So how are those warm fuzzies now?!

If you're like the "typical" Sebenza owner, your appreciation will *increase* and not decrease w/use. Once you start putting it through its paces, you'll wonder, Why did I ever think about babying it?!?

Start by "dipping your toe in the shallow end" -- i.e., carry it w/you everywhere, use it on really harmless chores like mail, packages, fruit, etc. From there, you'll "naturally" start using it for hardier chores -- and love it!

Most Sebenza owners don't at all mind the little scuffs it may pick up over time -- they add "character" and uniqueness to the folder, become markers of its own "personal history" rather than flaws. Keep in mind that the blade is stonewashed precisely to be used *hard* w/o showing scratches. The kinds of activities which will easily show scratches on mirror-polished or satin-finish blades will be much more subdued, or not show at all, on the stonewash finish. Also, scratches on the ti handle, as you probably already see, are equally subdued and less pronounced than on many other handle materials. Apparently, ti contains some property which "heals over" scratches -- someone less techno-stupid than me can probably offer a better explanation.

If you *really* scratch up the blade, remember that you can always return it for refurbishing by CRK -- for $20 you can have the blade re-stonewashed and resharpened to it factory-quality edge.

Anyways, welcome to "the cult" -- and enjoy!!

Glen

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

(Gosh, re-reading my post, it sounds like child care: "don't worry, Scarman, your Sebenza will grow up to become a strong boy!")
smile.gif

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

Storyville,

I suppose in some ways I am treating my Sebenza like a new baby.
I remember the sense of concern and trepidation over every bump and scratch with my first and now second child.
Nowhere near the same thing but there is that initial concern and reservation.

"Honey, it's a girl and her name is Sebenza"
wink.gif
LOL

------------------
The greatest thought that has ever entered my mind is that one day I will have to stand before a Holy God and give an account of my life.
*Daniel Webster

Just a few weeks ago, my wife bought me a Sebenza for our anniversary. I had looked at them for 3 years but could never bring my self to part with the money, I knew if I bought it I wouldnt use it. I even considered selling this one to get something cheaper I could use. My wife told me she got this for me to enjoy, and that I better use it, or else
smile.gif
So finally I did as stated above and began to use first on easy stuff. Its true, I find myself using it more and more. I am glad I did, it is truly the finest knife I have ever used. I cant believe I ever considered not using it. I find myself just looking for things to do with it just so I can use it. So, go ahead, make that first cut, you wont regret it. Enjoy!!

Bald1,
No problem at all.

Please continue the comments.

------------------
*Daniel Webster

My small Seb was bought second hand in "like new" condition, and I was a bit reluctant to use it hard at first, but at one point, for lack of something else within reach, I used it to help change a radiator hose on a friend's pickup. Of course, with slippery coolant, it slipped, and rattled through the engine compartment to land unceremoniously on the ground below. A couple nicks and scratches later, I started using it hard and never looked back. They're made to use, so don't be too gentle. I might not put a decorated Sebenza through the same regimen as my plain one, though, I guess it would depend. JMHO

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

It seems the general consensus is that this knife can take the punishment and come back fighting, I like that.
I am feeling better and better about the Sebenza. It will still be a while before I am comfortable putting it to hard work, but at least I feel good knowing it can take it.
Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

------------------
*Daniel Webster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back