Kanagawa (feedback please)

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
I named this one after one of my favorite prints in the house. I had to take a break from working on a big camp knife so I finished this one up. The 1095 hollow-ground blade is 3 3/4 inches long and 3/16 inches thick. It is about 8 1/4 inches overall and has green rayskin and a dragon menuki. Give me the honest feedback!!

Thanks for giving it a look. :)

Attachments

• kanagewa.jpg
    kanagewa.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 997
Burchtree said:
I named this one after one of my favorite prints in the house. I had to take a break from working on a big camp knife so I finished this one up. The 1095 hollow-ground blade is 3 3/4 inches long and 3/16 inches thick. It is about 8 1/4 inches overall and has green rayskin and a dragon menuki. Give me the honest feedback!!

Thanks for giving it a look. :)
Honestly? I really have been enjoying your Japanese styled knives recently. They are looking better and better every time I see them. I also am really into dragons, so I especially like this one. Great looking hamon. Keep up the great work.

Burchtree,

This knife has got just about everything I would look for in a Japanese style knife. Handy size, turks head knot, rayskin, and distinct hamon. I am trying real hard but I cant see anything I dislike about it. If it cuts as good as it looks you will have no trouble selling this one.

Andrew Lim

The whole knife looks fine except I think the blade needs to be about 1" longer or the handle 1" shorter.

This isn't a criticism or anything, but I'm curious--I notice that you put this menuki with the dragon's head toward the butt of the knife, but on your Eastern Utility you put the same menuki with the head toward the blade. Is there a "standard" way of doing this or is it merely a matter of personal preference?

the shot from the utility was on the other side, as I had put one on each side. This one just had the one for a right-handed person and the dragon only has one side so it faces a different way if it's on both sides. :D

I really like this blade, out of all of your japanese style knives I have seen, I like the lines and proportions the best on this one. The hamon seems to me to be perfect. If I could paint one on a blade it would follow the same line as the one on your blade. Is this blade chisel ground? It looks like it in the picture. Is it a zero grind, or do you still need to sharpen it? Just curious on the grind.
I like the knife a lot. Keep up the good work.
Kyle Fuglesten

Thank you very much -- this one is double ground, I'm not a big fan of chisel grinds. No zero edge on it, I just shot the pic before sharpening. :D

Honest opinion...very nice!
You really nailed the hamon. The grind lines are crisp with no stutter that I can see. Clean plunge cut. The tip has a nice sweep to it...a lot of the tantos I see now days have a very steep angle to the tip. It looks like the maker just got tired of grinding and said " F it lets just get it done".
The turks head can be tricky too. On smaller blades they can easily be too large. Yours looks good. Functional but not too big.
Good even cord wrapping. I too have a fondness for dragons ( you should see my tat). The only thing I would like is to have the menuki back just a bit more...the only problem with that is the head would have been under a wrap. :(
Great work overall and I bet you have no problem moving this one. :)
Your japanese style knives are getting better and better!! Keep up the great work!!

I don't know how the hell you get such consistently beautiful hamons....please post more pics.

Nitin

Neetones,
You should be able to buy one sooner than you think.
Mr. Burch charges less-than-fair prices.

Man... I forgot how gorgeous your hamons were...

*shiver*

Can't wait for you to get the new steel in. ;)

-j

Back