Knife Collections Part II

TAH

Gold Member
Which custom/handmade knife in your collection have you owned the longest? Mine is the George Herron, ivory fighter that I purchased in 1986.

The knife that I have had in my collection the longest is a Carson M16. I have only been into customs for a little while.

Ahh, now that is a more interesting question. Herron was your first? Wow, you did good.

My first custom (I told myself it was the last at the time) was a Hembrook damascus hunter purchased at Seldom Seen Knives in West Yellowstone, Mt. while on vacation in 1996. It was pretty and I just had to have it. Engraved bolsters, damascus blade, great jigged bone scales, a lot of work for the price I paid.

I still have NO idea who this maker is (or was); but I like the knife a lot so I'm keeping it. ;)

Para

A Howard Clark bowie, purchased from Howard before he became a Journeyman Smith. (first custom purchases - quickly followed by a Mel Pardue folder).

It has only been a short time that I have been involved in custom knives, the collecting part anyway. I received my first not much over a year ago. That was a DDR Madd Maxx when they first became available. My interest has always been in custom knives, but I never thought I could afford them. What I decided was instead of buying three or four production knives, I would get one custom. You don't end up with as many knives that way, but you sure end up with nicer ones.

My oldest is a D.M. Anderson made in 1974, it is a close copy of the Loveless drop point hunter, D2 steel with burgundy micarta and nickel silver guard.

This was when we had a choice of 440C, O1 and the new 154CM was very scarce as blade stock for new makers. I talked Dave into the D2 steel and it was a good choice. Most of the D2 we had available would buff to a finish we called "orange peel" with shallow craters, mine did not have that problem. Dave has dropped out of the knife making business however, his knife is a timeless design.

Regards,
FK

My VERY FIRST is a Carson Large #4 hunter that I traded with COPFISH when I first joined BF.
Now, I am dumping my production stuff as fast as I can!!!. Before I joined BF, I did not even know that you could have a knife made to your own liking. I thought ONLY Microtech, Benchmade, and just a couple others were the ONLY folks who made QUALITY KNIVES
So, I am a "virgin" to the world of customs. 2002 is the beginning of my REAL COLLECTION and the "beginning of the end" of my production collection

You guys have SPOILED ME................Ira;) :p :p :D

My first custom and the responsable for my addiction is a "naked damasheep" from Jens Anso. Got it in 1999.

My first was a GenO Denning Model #6 in stag. I bought it two years ago in Feb. from Les Robertson.

When Randall was considered a custom,my dad bought me one in 1961.A #1 fighter that I carried when in the Marines.(the knife along with a bunch of others were stolen a couple years ago in a break in of my house) My earliest folder a Mel Pardue bought in 1971.Still collect his knives.

I had a Jimmy Lile First Blood knife. The real Rambo knife!! I just sold it though, so I guess it doesn't count.

Next in line would be a Crawford KFF with Devin Thomas Firestorm damascus, file worked, jeweled, super fancy. There is a big gap between my first, and second in line.

My oldest custom is a very small Ken Largin (Kelgin) balisong that I bought at a mall knifeshop in Teaneck, New Jersey in 1983. The handles are brass and I think the blade (2.25") is 440C. I think it cost me maybe $50.

....a custom Bob Terzuola fixed blade fighter that I bought way back in ...I believe...1985 or 1986. Never cut anything with it...still sits in my sock drawer. Nothing at all wrong with her...just too nice to use. Hell, it even still has the skateboard tape on the handle that Bob used to improve the grip on the micarta.

Bpman

My first custom knife was the tanto you see on this scan, followed by the stars on the same year, 1987 the tanto has a 420 blade that is a bit on the ordinary side but the jacarandá handle and blade still smell very well after all these years. They were made by Antal Bodolay (yes, an Hungarian name, but he is Brazilian) and I ordered them through letters! LOL!

Attachments

• galbodolay4x.jpg
    galbodolay4x.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 275
The first custom knife I ever saw and loved immediately was made for my father by a German POW who was working in a hospital somewhere in France during WWII. It was made about 1943. Jeweled blade, handel made from boot leather (Scagel style) & spacers from artillery brass shell cases and a large spacer made from a propeller shaft. Excellenr workamanship
1 Along with it came a John Eck fighter. They now hang on our kitchen wall.

First custom I bought was a stag handled lockback made by Vernon Hicks of Bauxite,Ark. and purchased from Paul Basch in 1990 at the NY Custom show. Still have it.

Back in August 1981, when entering the Arts & Crafts Building of the Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto, Ont., Phyllis and I came across the booth titled "Canadian Knife Collectors Club" featuring Canadian Custom Knives.

Little did I know what that would lead to but at the time it was wonderful and still is. Aug. 14 I purchased at the show a D'Holder boot knife and a Ted Bollenbach boot knife. These two were the first of over 190 purchases later. I don't have those knives still in my collection nor do I have 100 of the others.

The 30th knife I purchased is a wonderful deep double hollow ground fighter by Fred Carter occured in April 1981 at about the time that I became President of CKCC. This knife, over the years, has been coveted by many a collector and knifemaker but will remain in my collection. It is probably the most difficult of my knives to photograph and I'm working on getting a decent image.

Having just purchased at Nikon 995 camera, I have been able to post a few knives at

http://www.imira.com/gallery/GalleryAuthorList.asp?MID=309892

if anyone stopping wants to comment, there is a facility for doing so. More knives will be added as more images are taken. Some images may change as better images are created to displace the others.

After that, the next step will be to learn how to post to the various forums (6) to which I belong.

Back