• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knife Exchange Shipping to Lower 48 Only

tantox

Gold Member
I am wondering about a relativity wide spread practice in the Knife Exchange of sellers mentioning that they will only ship to the lower 48 states. I presume this excludes shipping to Alaska and Hawaii?

Priority mail shipping costs to both of those 'outer' states is the same as to any other US state.

Is there a reason other than misinformation or misunderstanding that sellers choose to exclude shipping to those states?

Many just copy what they see in other ads, without much thinking.
Of course, if you are not shipping priority flat rate for some reason, the rates will vary by zone.

I can think of two reasons (plus one conjecture):
1) As P Peter Hartwig mentioned, folks may either believe it costs more to send stuff to HI / AK or may have packages that don't fit into flat rate boxes. I do think this can be easily worked out with a buyer if its a real problem.
2) On a trade, HI / AK will likely take longer to arrive so it lengthens the deal time. Again, not a big issue in my mind but could be for some

Conjecture is that folks use it as short-hand for "Shipping to the US" or "US sales only". This was the case with me and I want to thank OP for bringing this up as I've now changed my threads to say "shipped in the US"

Yep, just bad assumptions IMO. No reason to limit US shipping to CONUS.

A lot of it is copying what they see in other ads. We had a similar thread years ago because of the prevalence of CONUS, and a quite a few admitted they didn't even realize that it wasn't the same saying no international shipping.

I think folks get the misconception that it costs more to ship to AK or HI. It doesn’t. Priority Mail is the same price to all 50 states.
I know I got screwed on an eBay sale for a Dewalt impact driver that was sold to someone in Alaska. It cost me $35 to ship it by USPS and I lost money on the sale. So I never sell anything to Alaska or Hawaii. I'm guessing a knife may be different since it fits in a Priority Mail box.

It has been frustrating to me with so many ads posted CONUS only. Thankfully my favorite makers will mail to me.

As toker mentioned, larger items can be stupidly expensive but Priority is the same.

It has been frustrating to me with so many ads posted CONUS only. Thankfully my favorite makers will mail to me.

As toker mentioned, larger items can be stupidly expensive but Priority is the same.
You likely only need to reach out to the seller and explain.

Of course there is the currency exchange problem to US dollars also :) :) :)

I of course could be wrong, but believe some here are using the wrong terms.
Priority flat rate-using a priority flat rate box -is the same price throughout the states.
Regular priority - sending your own box priority -considers distance in pricing.
I understand what you are saying but the difference could be a large difference in price

I of course could be wrong, but believe some here are using the wrong terms.
Priority flat rate-using a priority flat rate box -is the same price throughout the states.
Regular priority - sending your own box priority -considers distance in pricing.
I understand what you are saying but the difference could be a large difference in price
This,
Almost none of my knife sales fit in a small flat rate box. I will ship intl and AK HI but buyer pays.

Most people list "CONUS Only" instead of saying "NO International."

I've done several sales purchases when I lived up in Alaska. Had zero issues with the sellers paying for the shipping.

For me it's because the price includes shipping to conus via usps ground advantage, or whatever they are calling first class these days.

The price doesn't include "priority" rates.

I’ve shipped to both Alaska and Hawaii and the shipping cost wasn’t any higher than if I shipped to California and one of the ones to Hawaii recently was delivered in less than three days!
G2

I use UPS no post office so shipping outside the continental US cost significantly more .

Back