• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knifemakers PLEASE beware!

Did you read Alan Conner's wierd posts on misc.survivalism? IMO they're even funnier and more clueless than Gunkid's. :D

Benjamin Liu said:
Did you read Alan Conner's wierd posts on misc.survivalism? IMO they're even funnier and more clueless than Gunkid's. :D
Probably but don't recognize the name. There are more than a few "interesting" folk out there. I do see some merit in some of the stuff GK speaks on- well a couple things anyway- a canned AR has alot going for it... did I just say that? maybe a better thing to say is a canned ar is fun!

I can't relate/don't understand a lot of people that are on the forums. Some people carry 1 or more guns, in addition to multiple knives. I presume this is primarily for self defense, as a small folder and a multi-tool will do the trick quite nicely for day to day chores. Clearly a gun isn't going to be used for opening packages. (I also find it humerous that I rarely hear of people carrying pepper spray).

So with self defense being such a concern, it seems logical to have a book about the types of weapons a "bad guy" might carry so you can be informed in advance what you MAY, not WILL, encounter. If I were concerned enough with self defense to carry a gun, I think I might like a heads up about things like the "engagement ring". Heck, I would have never thought twice to check someone's hands for attack rings before I read this thread. If bad guys are a non-issue like this thread makes it sound, why are so many people so paranoid about self defense?

I don't understand why everyone thinks the book is such a big deal. I would guess that this author with what must be a nice collection of knives, is not trying to get them outlawed. Also, he isn't calling all owners of these weapons "bad guys". To assume that the only people that own covert weapons are "good guys" is just plain naive though.

Go ahead and flame me for defending the guy, but I just don't get what the big deal is.

I do not think that anyone will want to "flame" you because of your ignorance. I am referring to what may be a lack of knowledge of the subtle and many times not so subtle ways that persons and entities that would use every little propaganda device available to further restrict YOUR right to carry and use a tool for self defense.

The author of the publication in question very clearly (only IMHO) attempted to capitalize on the somewhat recent emotional reaction to the terrorist events of several years ago.

The simple reality is that most professionals already know that virtually any device can be used as a weapon by a dedicated adversary. The publication in question was being marketed (at least when this thread started) as listing and identifying weapons of choice of terrorists and "bad guys"… Thus labeling a number of custom makers and those of us who may use or desire the possession of said tools as likely "bad guys".

This was a relatively quick response to your query and not meant to raise any fur so to speak.

Stuart

Maybe this is cold, but I don't see any problem with him trying to make a buck off of people's emotions. Actually, isn't that the point of most books, to intrigue people's emotions?

Are we trying to keep the things we carry a secret? There's a saying that any publicity is good publicity. Just like he said that the attention helps his book sell, having the different weapons featured in his book I believe is most likely to create business, not take it away. It seems that the target market for his book is the same one that is likely to buy weapons like those featured in it, so maybe someone reading it will say, "hmm, never seen one of those, looks cool, maybe i'll get one."

:rolleyes: Your only two posts are here??? I guess book sales must have dropped again... :rolleyes:

Stuart

dshreter said:
Are we trying to keep the things we carry a secret? There's a saying that any publicity is good publicity.

That saying works in some cases, but all you have to do is read some history and see how negative publicity surrounding anything that can be thought of as a weapon tends to result in bans and further infringements on our rights.

The book isn't simply a reference work. It has an inherit negative bias against self-defense and a positive bias toward fascism.

dshreter said:
It seems that the target market for his book is the same one that is likely to buy weapons like those featured in it, so maybe someone reading it will say, "hmm, never seen one of those, looks cool, maybe i'll get one."

Some mall ninjas may be attracted to it, but for the most part I think that's bullshit.

Yeah, these are my first posts on this forum because I thought it was bizarre how this became a sticky, and how ready everyone was to attack this guy. I've been a lurker for a while.

Like I said earlier, I really can't relate to a lot of people on the forum. I probably won't be frequenting these much more either because it doesn't seem tolerant to differing opinions.

dshreter said:
Yeah, these are my first posts on this forum because I thought it was bizarre how this became a sticky, and how ready everyone was to attack this guy. I've been a lurker for a while.

Like I said earlier, I really can't relate to a lot of people on the forum. I probably won't be frequenting these much more either because it doesn't seem tolerant to differing opinions.

Lurker since 9/05....yes, lurker for awhile, this being Nov. of '05.:rolleyes:

dshreter said:

Let me get this straight: you felt like you had to register in order to tell us you won't be frequenting this forum from here on out?

Well, by all means, feel free to leave and never come back. Don't let the door bang your butt on the way out ... :rolleyes:

Lurker means I didn't post...you don't have to register to read.

I registered because I wanted to join this thread because I saw people getting totally freaked out by free speech to the point that they were willing to deny doing business with the person.

"Welcome to Walmart... oh you're in FAVOR of gun control? I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, we don't sell to people in favor of gun control"

Your reaction to this guy is no different.

Shalom, adios, I have no time for singleminded jerks.

Another Douche bag bites the dust.:rolleyes:

I hadn't read this thread until recently, but I think it is pretty clear that this Dr.Sharp character is a Douche Bag. His lame sensationalist writing might just be a pathetic attempt to make some money from mall ninjas and the like, but it is clearly misleading and just plain BS, and a black eye to knife enthusiasts and responsible citizens everywhere. Why provide ammunition for the droves of ignorant sheeple already foaming at the mouth and trying to further restrict our freedoms? Douche.:thumbdn:

dshreter said:
I registered because I wanted to join this thread because I saw people getting totally freaked out by free speech to the point that they were willing to deny doing business with the person.

You don't ever boycott something because of intellectual or conscientious objections?

If you think that it's bizarre that people attack him, read again and understand why people are attacking him.

dshreter said:

"Welcome to Walmart... oh you're in FAVOR of gun control? I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, we don't sell to people in favor of gun control"

Shalom, adios, I have no time for singleminded jerks.

So long! Bye-Bye! Tootaloo! See Ya!!! :yawn:

dshreter said:

Shalom, adios, I have no time for singleminded [sic] jerks.

As I mentioned earlier; I have no intention to "flame" you or to be overtly discourteous to a person that has a genuine interest in understanding an issue. I think that you should have read the thread a little more thoroughly, to perhaps more fully understand what the issues of concern were/are.

You mentioned that you only joined to post in this thread and that very well may be true. However, it did seem somewhat creepy that your first post seems to have been an attempt to support the author/publisher of a piece that virtually every knife enthusiast has readily identified as propagating ill representations of knife enthusiasts and the tools that we are interested in.

"Free speech" means just that...so your comment of, "people getting totally freaked out..." should likewise support "our" right to get verbally "freaked out" over the comments of some "single-minded jerk" that seems intent on making a cheap and easy buck (that's dollars or currency) at our expense whether that be financial or legislative. And... seeing as how you are such an open-mindedand understanding sort of chap, I'm sure that you would support our right to some of that there "free speech" as well as the next "single minded jerk".

There was a time when a person could identify a "single minded jerk" as just that; without having to worry that some silly assed "single minded jerk" would come along and try to tell everyone (that has the foresight to see what is actually being said by the "single minded jerk") that any opinion (no matter how asinine) should be accepted because of "free speech".

The bottom line is that the author of the publication in question has used his "free speech" to (what any reasonably intelligent and balanced person can identify) hype a sales pitch. That does not HAVE to be accepted by any and all...

Please read the thread thoroughly and perhaps go to the website in question and then consider your own allegation that those that are opposed to the general content of the publication in question are in some way, single-minded.

All the very best regards,

Stuart

Thank you for a sensible reply Stu. I can handle debate or discussion a lot better than "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

I can fully understand your right to free speech, and to say anything you feel about him. In fact, I think you are doing a good thing to express your opinions by spreading the word and not buying his book. I think this is very fair use of freedom of speech.

However, I still think its concerning to refuse to sell this guy merchandise. Sure, this is easy to do over the internet, but this would be illegal in a store front.

I have no connection with this guy or his book, and if you don't beleive me, that doesn't really matter either.

dshreter said:
However, I still think its concerning to refuse to sell this guy merchandise. Sure, this is easy to do over the internet, but this would be illegal in a store front.
How do you figure that? It is not based on race or gender? I'd be darned if you think you can force me to sell to someone I don't want to- at least other than real estate. You can't force me to work for someone if I don't want. I don't have to accept a work order either. would be easy to deny a purchase of items especially SD type items just by saying he struck you as squirelly or he gave me an uneasy feeling.

dshreter, It took me a little while of thinking before I responded to this thread without sounding demeaning.

You seem to be really, really confused about somethings.

First off, Freedom of Speech and Expression, applies to United States Governments; local, State, and Federal practices, not businesses. No one here is afraid of any of these rights.

Second there are also limits to those rights. For instance if you shoot and kill someone for no reason, you can't say that you were just exercising your rights of Freedom of Expression.

Third, these rights only apply to the private sector in a limited way. For instance, I dare you to utilize your governmental guarunteed rights, go to your boss today and tell him to F*&^ off! You have exercised your rights and will be free from governmental intervention/arrest, but you will no longer have a job now will you. Just because you have a right does not mean that there will not be legal practical consequences. Just because you have a governmental right, does not make it good common sense or practice.

This guy came into a private, meaning not governmental, arena and attempted to gather information which ultimately undermines the financial foundation of knife artisans for which this private forum exists. No one is suggesting preventing him from publishing his book. On the other hand no one here is going to assist him in attacking the knifemakers craft by buying his book or giving him information. Why would we? That's tantamount to shooting oneself in the foot for no apparent gain.

I also noted that when several members did exercise their governmental guarunteed and FORUM bestowed rights to "show you the door" you got a little bent out of shape. Don't get upset when others call you onto the carpet for an opinion that is antithesis to our actual existence.

Sorry one more point.

It is not illegal to deny someone service or products. What you are thinking about is denying some one service based on something they were born with ie race gender etc. That is based soley on the all men are created equal portion of the preamble of the Bill of Rights. If you do something that is offense, unethical, immoral, illegal, etc., I don't have to do business with you or in this case the author.

I thought this thread died a long time ago. :confused:

Getting freaked out by free speech? HELL NO!

I am one of the people who has items in that book. I took great offense at the broad claim the author posted on the website promoting the book. He said something to the effect of "These weapons are in the hands of the bad guys now". That kind of a broad, misleading, and totally false claim is nothing more than hype and scare tactics to try and get people to purchase his book. To me, it is pure BS as well. I have never, to my knowledge, sold any of the exotic weapons I make to anyone who has (or is planning to) committed a crime. I have sold quite a few of them to LEO's, local, State, and Federal. None of them are "bad guys". The author, by claiming that I have sold weapons to the " bad guys", basically claimed that I am in league with the "bad guys" simply because I sold those weapons, whether I sold them to "bad guys" or not. People reading that book that have no knowledge of me, or any of the other makers shown in the book will assume that we all work for terrorists and other criminals when we don't.

That is NOT what free speech is all about.

Back