Krill Lamps

Anyone here have any of these Krill Lamps? I've read what they have to say about them over at http://www.equipped.org/krill.htm , but I'm curious what others have to say.

They look like they might be handy to keep in my backpack (no, not for camping, I use my backpack like a briefcase) for those occassional power-outages.

Thanks,

------------------

--Frank C.

Frank,

I have heard a lot of mixed oppinions on the Krill lamps.

I think it is one of those things that you just need to try for yourself. They are not too expensive, what have ya got to lose.

Take care.

------------------

Louis Buccellato
http://www.themartialway.com
Knives, Weapons and equipment. Best prices anywhere.
-------------

"only the paranoid will survive"

I had one for several months. They're are pretty nice, the thing to remember that even the Extreme Krill 180 is not what you'd call bright.

Mine had a nice glow, you could read by it, naviagte down a trail (slowly) and all around work fine.

For my use though, LED lights where brighter, came in handier configurations, and had similar if not better battery life.

DaveH

Thanks; maybe I'll start out with some LED lights, then.
smile.gif

------------------

--Frank C.

The Krill and the Led lights are different tools for different jobs.

The Krill is suitable for small area illumination, I find it slightly less bright than a small candle. It will allow you to see furniture across a room but I wouldn't try to read with it. It uses two easily available and replaceable AA batteries.

I find Led lights better suited for spot illumination and handheld use.

Although well made and high on the gadget factor, my 360 green Krill isn't something I go to first if I need light. Even for reading, the light has to be right up against the reading material to see anything clearly. I find the Krill's to be better suited as markers when out in the wilderness. For occasional power outages, I'd try an LED light like a Photon since they're much brighter and smaller to carry around.

------------------
ET

I plan to get a few of the tiny little keychain Photons, but am also interested in other LED flashlights.

What do you guys recommend I look at? What competes with (or kicks the butt of), say, a 3-D cell MagLite?

------------------

--Frank C.

I own a 360 degree green Krill and it definitely has its uses.

I use it a lot for fishing from the bank at night. I put my rod handle in rod holders that are pushed into the ground and then lay the krill lamp on the ground so that I can see the rod handles.

I also use it as a small tent lamp.

from
Originally posted by FrankC:
Anyone here have any of these Krill Lamps? I've read what they have to say about them over at http://www.equipped.org/krill.htm , but I'm curious what others have to say.

They look like they might be handy to keep in my backpack (no, not for camping, I use my backpack like a briefcase) for those occassional power-outages.

Thanks,

I think it might be useful for my purposes. I'm basically thinking of having a couple around for emergency use, such as if the power is out at night. I'd use a bigger flashlight for most stuff, but for me and the family sitting around listening to the radio, even a low-level area light is better than none at all.

Might also be a good nightlight for the kids when we're in a strange hotel...

Hmmm....
smile.gif

------------------

--Frank C.

Get a PAL light, or PAL gold. They are roughly the same price as a Extreme Krill (maybe $5 more). Since they are always on a little bit, they are always easy to find. You then have two different intensity beams plus the emergency flasher mode. The PAL is not perfect. They aren't waterproof, they lack a momentary switch, and I don't like the lens assembly much. They are perfect for a bedside light though (accompanied by a normal type flashlight).

Just another option.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Oh, btw, I built my own 4 white LED light, it might be worth thinking about a multi LED light as giving a more powerful "area" illumination, it doesn't give a 4 times more powerful "single" beam.

Something to consider when figuring out what to buy.

DaveH

Krills are pretty useful in my book. As previously mentioned they are a good source of tent or small room illumination. Not bright light but easy to see youre surroundings in. The Xtreme green krill 360 lasts about 40 hrs on 2 AA batteries which means an easy week of after hours illumination at the campsite. They are quiet, so you can hear things around you, allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness easier since they are not too bright, and dont attract as much attention as a bright light - especially in a tent.

They work great if you have a mesh gear loft in your tent. Just turn it on, throw it up there and you are set.

Also, if you do any hiking at night, you can attach one to your pack so your buddies can tell where you are easily.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

DaveH - thanks for the links, great info.

So, now I have a LOT of lights to consider...maybe I'll pick up a few different ones. You can never have enough light sources.
smile.gif

------------------

--Frank C.

Back