Lansky vs Kme

I have been using the Lansky for years. Is the Kme worthwhile upgrade? My problem with the Lansky is when sharpening my Spydercos with ffg the clamp moves up and down. The jaws only touch on the spine and leave a gap in the front of the clamp. Is the Kme designed better in that respect?

Yes, it’s worth the upgrade. Wider stones, one degree increments 17 to 30 degrees. Good selection of stones to add to the basic setup.
The clamp is an improvement, but not ideal for FFG. I use painters tape to fill in the gap on FFG blades. It works. If you’re good with the Lansky, try that before you switch systems.

Thank you. I will try the tape. I think I will get the Kme anyway. It looks far more comfortable to hang on to. Can you describe in more detail how /where you put the tape on? Thanks again.

I like to position the clamp toward the tip as much as possible in order to keep shorter strokes on the tip end. That keeps the bevel even throughout the blade. I don’t lap the tape over the spine. Cut a piece for each side and place just below the spine. It may take a couple of strips on each side to fill in the gap on the jaws.

Thanks again. That sounds pretty simple. That was my first post by the way. I will post my thoughts on the Kme after I use it.

KME clamp is self adjusting and also has rubber inserts that also compensate for any play there might be left. I upgraded from a DMT Aligner, which is pretty similar to the Lansky system, but it had a second screw that allowed the clamp to grip at an angle so flat ground knives were not an issue for it.

KME was a night and day difference, just put the blade in there, wiggle it around to make sure the clamp grips it, tighten and get to work. If you do go that route, get the version with the diamond plates, and get the stand, it makes things much easier. Also make sure you limit the range of motion of the stones, so you don't slip off the edge and damage it. I use orings. And this advice goes for any fixed angle sharpening system, don't let the tip go past the middle of the stone (width wise), otherwise it becomes easy to roll the stone over rounding off the tip. Rounding off the tip can eventually lead to a dull tip.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate any tips and tricks. Using the Kme will be easier. Can't wait till I can order it. I have to convince "the boss" of my plight but it shouldn't take much.

There is a much more budget friendly option that is better equiped and more precise than the lansky - Worksharp.

I have studied on the Worksharp. I like the Kme better because of the handle. I like watching TV in my recliner while sharpening.

Like you I started with a lansky, and it's ok for what it is. Then I went to KME. There are a lot of good options on the market today, but I still think the KME is the best bang for the buck! It does a great job, and a ton of stone options out there. Their diamond plated stones are good. I use them with water mixed with a drop of dish soap. Less pressure is best, let the diamonds do the work. Bar keepers friend works great to clean them.

The dmt magkit system works perfectly on spydercos ffg. I consider it the big boy lanksy. I had a lansky when I was a kid. The bigger longer diamond paddles are nice. I sharpen a pm2 and a delica with it. The dmt has enough adjustment to be able to match the ffg angles and clamp down properly, but otherwise is very similar in design to a lansky, and the diamonds dont care about steel. It's a good price too. I like it's like a lansky so I can take it anywhere if needed and I'm not tied to a tabletop

I tried the painters tape with the Lansky yesterday. It worked better but still awkward.

Back