Large Bowie Build.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Finally got back into my shop today after a long time off doing string of home improvement projects all Spring long, so now that the major stuff is handle I can start working on knives again.

Anyhow I got a large Bowie blade rough ground to 50 grit today, this one is most likely spoken for through a customer here Blade Forums. The plan is to build it with a crown stag handle per customer request. The blade is rough ground but not to the final dimension yet it's 1/4" 5160 it's going to be 11" long by 1 3/4" wide, I still have to sharpen the clip also. Not sure what I'm going to do for a sheath, I want to do something different, I may look into some an inlay of some kind buffalo maybe, any sheath ideas are welcome.

IMG_4929.jpeg

Oh, man. I'm going to be watching this one closely. This looks to be straight out of my dreams.

Got a bit more done last night on the Bowie knife blade, still a bit rough, it's at about a 220 grit right now. I need to a bit more work to the clip and riccaso area before stamping my name in it and sending it out for heat treating. This blade is lighter than I thought it would be, right now the blade is 12.5 ounces, it's probably going to lose a couple more ounces in the tang area for handle fitting and end up right around 18-20 ounces when it's finished.

IMG_4939.jpegIMG_4946.jpeg

super nice looking. Cant wait
Thank you, it's going to have a crown stag and leather washer handle, but for this one I'm thinking about using the original vulcanized fiber spacer material instead of the G10, I think the fiber spacers have a little warmer look to them. Also I'm thinking a nickel silver guard and accent spacers as well.

Interested to see how this project is going.
That one is going to be next, not sure what I'm going to do with the handle yet, I'm thinking maybe a nice piece of Red stag maybe.

That one is going to be next, not sure what I'm going to do with the handle yet, I'm thinking maybe a nice piece of Red stag maybe.
That sounds great. Something with an interesting spacer stack I assume.

That sounds great. Something with an interesting spacer stack I assume.
Thinking about something like this. This what I'm going to call my Survivor pattern, I made and gave a knife with this exact pattern to a friend who was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago and has remain cancer free so far. I just have to make a sheath for it now. But this what I've been thinking about for the big Bowie knife. This is one of my favorite patterns.

This will be my personal hunting knife.

IMG_6470.jpeg

This is the original one I gave my friend five years ago.

IMG_0299 (1).jpeg

Thinking about something like this. This what I'm going to call my Survivor pattern, I made and gave a knife with this exact pattern to a friend who was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago and has remain cancer free so far. I just have to make a sheath for it now. But this what I've been thinking about for the big Bowie knife. This is one of my favorite patterns.

This will be my personal hunting knife.

View attachment 2400348

This is the original one I gave my friend five years ago.

View attachment 2400351
Well it doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

Back