Layered / laminated / multi-alloy titanium blades

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of the final and greatest steps into the creation of titanium swords is the layered sword, made of more than one titanium alloy. Not only does it look cool, certain alloys can be used for certain parts of the blade, eking out subtle performance enhancements. The techniques also alloy more flexibility in sword design.

Here is the first one of its kind, a shobu zukuri katana blade, made from three different titanium alloys. 28" blade, at 11.3 ounces.

mG4hzGU.jpg

nKtTmvr.jpg

4RuK4nK.jpg

jGtFSyW.jpg

gZSpVxu.jpg

jc4PNRr.jpg

oAMx7NB.jpg

Video:

More laminated blades to come!

Amazing in sooooo many ways!
My laser 240mm chef knife weighs in at 6oz. Its crazy that this Sword is LESS than double my knifes weight.

Next contender in the layered blade lineup is a hatchet. The head of this one is sort of a cross between the two bigger prototype axes. This one was difficult to get a real consistent finish. The body of the hatchet is ATI 425 (grade 38) titanium alloy, with a titanium-niobium cutting edge, forged and hardened. Handle is rubber core, nylon wrap, with leather grip. 18" long, and 18 ounces.

m6bG0Uc.jpg

kwTmJbr.jpg

cqvZWZi.jpg

Right after heat treatment:

cnuJCCF.jpg

I like this hatchet/axe head shape best so far.

Next contender in the layered blade lineup is a hatchet. The head of this one is sort of a cross between the two bigger prototype axes. This one was difficult to get a real consistent finish. The body of the hatchet is ATI 425 (grade 38) titanium alloy, with a titanium-niobium cutting edge, forged and hardened. Handle is rubber core, nylon wrap, with leather grip. 18" long, and 18 ounces.

m6bG0Uc.jpg

kwTmJbr.jpg

cqvZWZi.jpg

Right after heat treatment:

cnuJCCF.jpg

I like this hatchet/axe head shape best so far.
damn. that is just.......well the right words are slipping past me....im gonna use a classic one......."great there", Sir.. when are we gonna be able to chase one down........

damn. that is just.......well the right words are slipping past me....im gonna use a classic one......."great there", Sir.. when are we gonna be able to chase one down........

Glad you like! After Blade show, work should begin on axes/hatchets. I'd like to make them like this one in shape, in a hatchet size, and in a bigger version like a small axe.

We are going to need to talk some day soon.

I'm so sorry for not coming around here more, Sam! Joe's video put me right, so I'll make sure to swing by regularly.
Cheers!

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhMyGoodness!!!!
Definitely need to put that katana in the hands of a local samurai and see what it can do!!!

10 in Chef knives are all I use.
The above pic looks like there is welding bead.

Back