Loctite concern question for Kai.

I deal with loctite at work a LOT and we use heat guns to soften up the stubborn stuff and push into the screw pretty hard to break them loose. A hair dryer may help, or like someone suggested a sold iron directly on the screw.

For cases where I've run into stubborn threadlocker, I usually put a soldering iron (a common 15W one should be fine) to the screw head for a 5 seconds, try to turn it, and repeat until it comes loose.

As I pointed out in the Thermite thread, I got a Cryo II and a Thermite the other day. I had the opposite problem...no Loctite. Actually, it isn't a problem for me, but 3 out of 4 screws had no Loctite on them at all. I was prepared for the worst to loosen the screws on the clips, but I had no issues. I keep my screws tight, so it isn't an issue for me. :D

Ok, ok, so I ordered a new set of torx bits, a flame thrower, a thermite, and pre ordered a ZT 0566 today. We will see how it turns out. If I strip all the screws out and burn down my house.... well, it's all your faults! :D

I'm into this, as well. Apparently not done very often. I got some comments that the clips I used were ugly so I shortened them a bit. They could still stand to be stonewashed or something, but I prefer these to the deep carry clips.

Good to know the heat trick to remove loctited screws. I wonder if there is a liquid solvent that works?

View attachment 372321View attachment 372322

The best liquid solvent I have found is the universal solvent.....WATER. Just heat it up in a pot on the top of the stove and place your knife right in it. Depending on the lubricant used the smells can be quite enticing! Boil for several minutes, remove, handle carefully as it is HOT, then fit your tool squarely into the head of the screw, apply downward pressure, and slowly turn the screw counter clockwise. I have done this for several knives over the past 20 years and it has been successful. With the left over water you could make the wife and kids some chowder deblade, me?.....I just pour it out.;)

I have used Loctite (mainly 242/243 Blue) for years and I have had zero problems with stripped screws and I never use heat.

I just got my thermite today and had the same problem and I dont have a cheap set of torx drivers either. There is so much locktight on the pocket clip screws you can see where it leaked out onto the scales. I used a heat gun before I tried to remove the clip. I got one screw off the other stripped and broke my T6.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, so I ordered a new set of torx bits, a flame thrower, a thermite, and pre ordered a ZT 0566 today. We will see how it turns out. If I strip all the screws out and burn down my house.... well, it's all your faults! :D

Haha. The flame thrower might come in handy if you decide to make your own pocket clips. Otherwise I suspect it's going to sit in the closet until the Zombie Apocalypse.

The best liquid solvent I have found is the universal solvent.....WATER. Just heat it up in a pot on the top of the stove and place your knife right in it. Depending on the lubricant used the smells can be quite enticing! Boil for several minutes, remove, handle carefully as it is HOT, then fit your tool squarely into the head of the screw, apply downward pressure, and slowly turn the screw counter clockwise. I have done this for several knives over the past 20 years and it has been successful. With the left over water you could make the wife and kids some chowder deblade, me?.....I just pour it out.;)

It also makes them nice and tender for lunch or dinner.

Hmmmm... This sounds like the high heat Loctite, not the standard Loctite. I have put TONS of blue Loctite on a screw, and it still comes out without extraordinary effort. Red Loctite... Not so much. Only knife I had a problem with, I heated a small nail to red hot over a candle a few times and applied it to the screw head a few times. Result was the screws came loose with no problem. This was a Greg Lightfoot from .... Errr... Well, that company that shall not be named.... A long time ago. And it was one of only two knives I've EVER sold. So there... ;)

Back