Looking for no BS recommendations: I need A Good Can Opener

karnaknives

Gold Member
Hey all,
I am looking for no BS recommendations:
I need a good manual can opener. I'd rather not have one that opens cans from the side, and I don't have a problem with sharp edges, so I don't need a better mousetrap.
I just want a can opener that works, and will stay working, and that is available to buy (with links is even better!)
So, whatcha got?

Hey all,
I am looking for no BS recommendations:
I need a good manual can opener. I'd rather not have one that opens cans from the side, and I don't have a problem with sharp edges, so I don't need a better mousetrap.
I just want a can opener that works, and will stay working, and that is available to buy (with links is even better!)
So, whatcha got?
The can opener that has never failed me is a lowly P-38.

Ric

I'd rather not have one that opens cans from the side

Most can openers don't work that way, so I wonder why you even mentioned it. Safety can openers are very uncommon.

Pretty much any traditional kitchen style twist operated can opener works better, faster, and is more effortless to use than a p-38, p-51, or any can opener found on a multitool like a swiss army knife or a leatherman. The difference in performance and ease of use is absurd, and I say that as someone who carries a p-38 on my key chain. A twist operated can opener is always preferable unless you're just trying to have a little fun playing with the harder to use can opener in your EDC.

Anyway...

Goodcook makes decent quality relatively inexpensive can openers which last a long time. They're generally much better than most other brands which usually cost more and don't last very long in my experience. Just buy yourself one or two Goodcook can openers and forget about it. You probably won't need to buy another can opener for a very long time.

Check out the EZ DUZ IT. I have been using it for about 20 plus years.

For some reason I believe it was used on space missions???And probably less than $20, made in USA and many colors to choose.

Last edited:

For some reason I believe it was used on space missions???And probablt less than $20, made in USA and many colors to choose.
Yes the EZ-DUZ-IT is excellent.
Very durable and well made in the USA, parts are replaceable, and it cuts clearly with little effort.
No frills or gimmicks, just a can opener that works very well and is built to last.

If you didn't know they're basically a copy ( but a little better ) of the old Swingaway can opener.

Nogent Super-Kim, works really well and is nice and compact. looks like most US retailers have them around 25$.
Have to concur on the Nogent Super-Kim, the best I’ve used and one of the more compact. Amazon seems to have the best price and they have it in stock.

image.jpg
Have to concur on the Nogent Super-Kim, the best I’ve used and one of the more compact. Amazon seems to have the best price and they have it in stock.

I have one and have used it myself, but my wife hates it, and I guess I forgot to mention I'm asking on her behalf.
Most can openers don't work that way, so I wonder why you even mentioned it. Safety can openers are very uncommon.

Goodcook makes decent quality relatively inexpensive can openers which last a long time. They're generally much better than most other brands which usually cost more and don't last very long in my experience. Just buy yourself one or two Goodcook can openers and forget about it. You probably won't need to buy another can opener for a very long time.
I mentioned "safety" can openers because when I asked this question on another forum several people suggested them.
And most were made of plastic.
I guess I also forgot to mention I don't want an opener made of plastic.

For some reason I believe it was used on space missions???And probably less than $20, made in USA and many colors to choose.
I would definitely like to try an EZ DUZ IT, if I can find one from a reputable dealer, because I'd rather not buy a counterfeit on the Big River site or eBay
Nogent Super-Kim, works really well and is nice and compact. looks like most US retailers have them around 25$.
And out of curiosity I ordered one of these already. Even if it's not the final answer I think it'll get some use around here (by me, if not my wife).

I mentioned "safety" can openers because when I asked this question on another forum several people suggested them.
And most were made of plastic.
I guess I also forgot to mention I don't want an opener made of plastic.

It's hard to imagine how a plastic can opener would be effective at all.

Do you mean plastic handles? That could be bad if there are no metal handles underneath the plastic. The plastic handle(s) could wear out and fall off at some point, rendering the can opener inoperable.

A rubber or a plastic grip around a metal handle should be just fine though. But I guess it would be hard to tell the difference just buy looking at a picture.

It's hard to imagine how a plastic can opener would be effective at all.

Do you mean plastic handles? That could be bad if there are no metal handles underneath the plastic. The plastic handle(s) could wear out and fall off at some point, rendering the can opener inoperable.
I mean "largely composed of plastic":
1714587100770.png1714587126633.png1714587199331.png

I would definitely like to try an EZ DUZ IT, if I can find one from a reputable dealer, because I'd rather not buy a counterfeit on the Big River site or eBay
You're not going to find a counterfeit of the EZ-DUZ-IT.
the only thing is that if you Google search it you will also get results for the now made in China Swingaway that it's an improved copy of, but they're not being misrepresented or anything.

Look for a Swing-A-Way, either wall mount or hand held. They work great and last forever.

Look for a Swing-A-Way, either wall mount or hand held. They work great and last forever.
They're no longer American made, but the EZ-DUZ-IT is an American made copy and I believe the replacement parts for it will fit a swingaway if you have one that needs fresh parts, but don't quote me on it.

I had an old handheld swingaway from my grandmother that no longer worked well at all, it was the worst can opener I had ever used but was probably 50 years old at that point.
It was a smaller model, so I just chose to replace it with an EZ-DUZ-IT and never looked back.

Back