M2 TRYOUT!

tinfoil hat timmy

Gold Member
I'll be first.

I have made some pretty... er... well ugly looking paracord handles in the past but will be willing to give this one a try.

I'm in. I guess if its allright with DM we can just use this thread to count who's in after me?

Thanks!

What's a M2?

Long story short........

I'm having trouble trusting what heat treaters can, and cannot do...or what they Say they do. (I had an experience with some A2 from a famous treater. I probably will never know what went wrong? Me or them, idk?)

On another forum I was talking with the group.
S Seedy Lot brought up the idea of using power hacksaw blades for knives.
I heard of using saw blades, but power hacksaw blades are Way different.
Certain brands are fully heat-treated high speed steel, usually M2.
I have to dig through his notes, but they are treated to be Extremely Hard.
Harder than most knives. When made into knives the edge will last a Long time.
Lots of vandium, should hold a Better/finer edge than D2.

According to AKS

Seedy Lot graciously offered me some to try, but I had already ordered a batch because after reading about it I already knew it was perfect for what I wanted!

I made a few knives out of it, and Love it.
I plan on making a bunch More.
The only bad part is making them.....haha.
Special belts, and drilling is next to impossible.
I heard masonry bits work? But I have yet to find the ones that do???
I've tried 3 unsuccessfully, and my expensive Carbide drill bit is now dull. :(

I talked to David about them, and asked if he would like to try them?
I think it's pretty awesome that he is always trying different stuff.
I sent him one.
Idk what he thinks about the steel, but I think it's going to be favorable.
I'm curious If you guys will like it on the pass around too?

send me a link to what you bought
They were just various cement/masonry bits I bought at the local hardware store.
They don't work..... I'll have to borrow one from my job this week, unless anyone else have Proven bits I can purchase.

*I might remember somebody saying that the carbides on the masonry bits need to get resharpened? Maybe I could try that...

They were just various cement/masonry bits I bought at the local hardware store.
They don't work..... I'll have to borrow one from my job this week, unless anyone else have Proven bits I can purchase.

*I might remember somebody saying that the carbides on the masonry bits need to get resharpened? Maybe I could try that...
haha I meant what saw blades you bought. haha.

oops.

Starrett Red Stripe HSS.

The spade shaped bits for tile and glass work fairly well on the PHBs.

Everytime I have checked hardness of the PHBs they have been 64-65 Rc.

tinfoil hat timmy tinfoil hat timmy This. Starrett.
You do Not want bi-metal.

Seedy, do you have any brand for glass tile bits?

It's early, I can maybe get to the hardware store, again

tinfoil hat timmy tinfoil hat timmy This. Starrett.
You do Not want bi-metal.

Seedy, do you have any brand for glass tile bits?

It's early, I can maybe get to the hardware store, again

Black and Decker glass and tile have worked well but sometimes feels like I would get a dud. Lately I have been buying cheap ones of Amazon, they are still a spade point and cost 10 dollars for 10. They are cheap but work and if there is a dud or three no big deal.

Black and Decker glass and tile have worked well but sometimes feels like I would get a dud. Lately I have been buying cheap ones of Amazon, they are still a spade point and cost 10 dollars for 10. They are cheap but work and if there is a dud or three no big deal.
Nice and cheap..... I paid around 25-30 and they aren't working.ha

I had a friend who wanted a couple PHB boning knives. He owns a manufacturing company and bought a couple 30 dollar carbide bits from his supplier. They both shattered with my crap drill press techniques, total waste.
Yeah, mine from work, I'm sure cost prob the same? Only did around 4 holes before getting dull

I'm checking out Amazon now, for more tile bits

USA knife maker has carbide bits for drilling hardened steel. Haven't tried them but you'll probably want slow speeds and high torque with lube to cut and not bind or burn and break. I find angle grinder works well for cutting a slit that can be secured at either end with pins.

Back