M2m hard use in africa

I am a young boer in South Africa.I recently bought a m2m in m390 steel.It is my first experience with this steel and this company.

I want to know how hard I can use this knife without feeling sorry for it.It is so beautiful but can it be used hard?
I will use it for skinning and hunting,irrigation pipe cutting,clearing brush,prying and general outdoor use in a harsh environment.This is not a knife that I will just look at but use everyday.I dont want to destroy such an expensive knife.Is there anyone that has used this knife for a long time and can report how it has held up?Ive seen some youtube clips of Americans banging it through wood etc.Not really my game.I mean real world hard use.Will m390 chip and roll like some people say?

I am a young boer in South Africa.I recently bought a m2m in m390 steel.It is my first experience with this steel and this company.

I want to know how hard I can use this knife without feeling sorry for it.It is so beautiful but can it be used hard?
I will use it for skinning and hunting,irrigation pipe cutting,clearing brush,prying and general outdoor use in a harsh environment.This is not a knife that I will just look at but use everyday.I dont want to destroy such an expensive knife.Is there anyone that has used this knife for a long time and can report how it has held up?Ive seen some youtube clips of Americans banging it through wood etc.Not really my game.I mean real world hard use.Will m390 chip and roll like some people say?
Hi Philip, the M390 Is a stainless steel but despite what the "radicals" (carbon steel lovers...) use to say It is a f...ing robust steel also thanks to the good thermal treatment received. I've been stressing my M2 for years and the only point I can complain was the leather sheat (I always need Kydex sheat as I dont collect but USE my tools....I really think Lionsteel should leave customers the freedom to select what kind of sheat they want receive with the knife). but obviously all depends by what sort of "abuse" you go to it. About the knife I can only say that It is a well designed tool, now with an improved ergonomics, and the advantages of a stainless steel without too many compromises comparing to a "pure" carbon steel. In addition: if you are able to resharp your knives you will never ever have a problem with your M2M....
USE IT !!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights.Yes i agree with the kydex sheath.I will make one for mine.Hunting season is around the corner and I cannot wait to get first blood on this blade.The design and lines on this thing are top notch for real world use.That is why I was willing to spend so much money on it.Us young boers usually just use moras for working knives.Its usually the older men that have proper fixed blade carry knives.I will not pamper this blade.I am considering putting a 17 degree edge on it but not sure how m390 holds edge.Time will tell.
I am surprised that there are not more guys who have run this blade hard online?Its such a good design.Well done to Lionsteel on this model.Excellent.

Hey Phillip, I as well landed on this blade instead of the M4 and I’m mostly pleased with it. The ergos and blade shape are outstanding and it will be the perfect edc once my kydex sheath shows up. I haven’t put it through too much abuse yet but what I have noticed is it’s a little soft. Granted it did hit ceramic tile and it was the factory edge but it flattened a good cm of the blade edge. I’m not completely sold on M390. I feel for hard use Magnacut would be far superior. I’ll update this when I put it through more vigorous use. I’d be curious to know how it works out for you as well.

I have been using the m2m all day everyday.It is performing well.I have only three issues.
The blade is thick behind the edge.I backed the edge up on 17 degrees.This steel is very good.It just takes a while to sharpen.
I dont think m390 is soft.I cut alot of irrigation pipes on rocky ground without chipping or rolling the edge.
The olive wood handle is beautiful but is difficult to keep clean.I should have gone for the micarta for my work environment.
The leather sheath will not last for me.It is well made and a good design but too much in and out of the sheath and water.I will make a kydex sheath.
For us boers we also use blades as a backup to firearms in self defense.I see no issues for this blade in that role.
All round good quality and very well thought out design.Well done Moletta for making a very functional and useful tool.

After three months of using this blade I can say I am very pleased.It is a good skinner and is holding up to hard farming use just fine.No rusting,edge rolling or chipping.The m390 holds an edge for a long time and does not dull on bone and hard surfaces.I put a very keen edge on it and it keeps it well enough.

I made a kydex sheath for it and now it is perfect for my use.I sharpened the tip up slightly for piercing and is a good self defence blade.

So happy with this blade,I bought the M3 in Niolox.

After three months of using this blade I can say I am very pleased.It is a good skinner and is holding up to hard farming use just fine.No rusting,edge rolling or chipping.The m390 holds an edge for a long time and does not dull on bone and hard surfaces.I put a very keen edge on it and it keeps it well enough.

I made a kydex sheath for it and now it is perfect for my use.I sharpened the tip up slightly for piercing and is a good self defence blade.

Phillip M390 is excellent steel but like all knives it depends on who made it and more importantly how well it was heat treated.
Lionsteel have a very good reputation and the result is a good knife.
Few places on earth will test a knife as thoroughly as the farm/bush in SA. Andre Thorburn did some interesting tests with M390 a few years ago and he was able to achieve some amazingly good results.
marthinus marthinus has done some interesting field tests in SA with factory knives. He works in the mining industry and his knives get a full work out.
I look forward to hearing how you go with it............ :)

Glad to hear it is working for you. M390 is a good steel when done correctly and Lionsteel uses a heat treater that is ISO accredited meaning the quality control procedures are well established and adhered to.

I have to agree that the edge is a bit thick on the model. You can try blending the edge by doing a convex edge as well. It will be very similar to the Busse Basic 4 then.
May she serve you well as it is a well thought out design for a variety of tasks.

Phillip M390 is excellent steel but like all knives it depends on who made it and more importantly how well it was heat treated.
Lionsteel have a very good reputation and the result is a good knife.
Few places on earth will test a knife as thoroughly as the farm/bush in SA. Andre Thorburn did some interesting tests with M390 a few years ago and he was able to achieve some amazingly good results.
marthinus marthinus has done some interesting field tests in SA with factory knives. He works in the mining industry and his knives get a full work out.
I look forward to hearing how you go with it............ :)

Thanks for the kind words Steven 😊 been an awesome ride testing over the years.

Back