MagnaCut Run 2023 (delays carried it over to 2024)

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good afternoon friends. I will be doing a new run of MagnaCut, with expected completion around late spring or early summer. The stock thickness is going to end up right around 3/32". My plan is to have a number regular sized of EDChefs on here, and many neck knives. It's a fairly large sheet with lots of room for people to get in on it, which also means I should be able to keep the cost per knife reasonable. If you have a specific design you want made, I will collaborate with you until we both agree the CAD file is just right, and I'll put it into cutting instructions for HAI waterjets, who will be cutting the blanks for us. I'm purchasing this sheet with my own funds, as well as paying for waterjet cutting, shipping, and probably two hefty customs bills. As much as I have tried not to take deposits in the past, I think this time it makes sense if you are claiming a knife from the sheet, I will ask for a deposit equal to my costs for heat treating, which I will be having done by none other than the world class heat treater Jarod Todd JTknives JTknives .

I have yet to allocate any designs to the sheet. Get with me soon, if you want a knife in this perfect stock thickness suitable for anything from small neck knives, to kitchen cutlery, all day work knives and light machetes. I will consider all inquires initially to be just inquiries, until I have a chance to allocate our designs to the sheet, and crunch some numbers at which point I will reach out via PM or email to notify those interested what the knife cost will be, and what the deposit amount is that I'll require to secure your order.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to serving you up some MagnaCut in 2023 2024!

P.S. Here is what's planned, and the ones not colored in are still available to be reserved. Grid squares are one inch.

1697149965171.png

Last edited:
I am never one to jump on new steels, but Magnacut seems ideal for the weather conditions I am in frequently. If only David didn’t have so many great designs to decide on….🤣 a smaller edc? A Prevail? Boomerang? Hmmmmmm maybe a Skinny-Fat? A Badger Scout? A larger paring knife?🤫

I am never one to jump on new steels, but Magnacut seems ideal for the weather conditions I am in frequently. If only David didn’t have so many great designs to decide on….🤣 a smaller edc? A Prevail? Boomerang? Hmmmmmm maybe a Skinny-Fat? A Badger Scout? A larger paring knife?🤫

All of the above? 😁

So guys it occurred to me that the Midirang is so close in size to the Zoomerang I'm doing for Empire Outfitters, that I would be concerned that it directly competes with them, which is not what I want to do with a new dealer customer. I have consulted with them and they have agreed to take all of the Midirangs from my first run. This means that those who want a Midirang from the first run will be able to get one - through Empire Outfitters and with a Suretouch handle. Unlike the Zoomerang, however, the Midirang will not be an exclusive, so I will be free to make more of them down the road for customers other than Empire, and with handle materials other than Suretouch. But those who want to get a Suretouch Midirang are welcome to contact me by PM or email and request your color of choice, and whether you want your handle smooth, or textured and what kind of texture, and then the transaction will be with Empire once the knife is done. Midirang customers will not need to pay a deposit, as the deposit is already paid for by Empire.

Does anyone have the EDChef and the XL version side X side?

i played with the updated EDChef on the recent pass-a-round. I'm thinking I want it Bigger?

I looked through the links, but didn't see them together?

Thanks.

I don't think anyone has both yet.
idk how many are out in the wild, but those who have the big one..... do they think theyd use it more if it were smaller?
I need to look up to see if it's specs are out there?

After my local waterjet guys dropped the ball on the last order I am currently shopping around for who will do this one. I have made a note of everyone's interest so far, and once I have decided on who will cut this, I'll contact each of you with the info pertaining to your requests. Thanks for your patience.

Guys, Jarod Todd to the rescue. I can never say enough good about this man. The issue was that my local waterjet guys cannot do jimping reliably any more, have not responded to my concerns, and leading edge fab that I used for laser cutting before, despite excellent quality has also not been responding to my messages. Finding a provider that can cut them and do the jimping reliably was the challenge. Plasma cutting cannot do proper justice to the jimping. But Jarod has agreed to hand file the jimping into each knife that calls for it for us after plasma cutting and before heat treating. He is truly the definition of "above and beyond" as far as customer service, and has been so since the day I started making use of his services.

Back