meteorite knife I finished recently,thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan Wilson

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
1095 on the edge and solid meteorite on the spine/blade
bloodwood handle brass guard and black spacer mat. between the guard and bloodwood.

would love to hear the community's thoughts and feedback on what might be improved.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 67765e.png
    67765e.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 85
  • canvasgbwvb.png
    canvasgbwvb.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 81
  • hjngm.png
    hjngm.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 79
  • mvbmv.png
    mvbmv.png
    100 KB · Views: 85
Very nice no need for improvement
Thank you.
I am thrilled to read that,I'm a bit self conscious with my fit and finish of knives partly due to when making the knife/knives I know mostly of what is wrong and what can be improved so reading this helps make me feel more confident,thanks again

I love meteorite and your blade looks really cool. Meteorite can rust easily, so I'm guessing you treated it. Now make a folder and I'll be in line for one.

That's very cool! Looks like a very handy size and design, too, maybe an EDC skinner type pattern!
Thanks
the blade is a bit thick for a skinner I think the size is about right though.it can be taken apart by taping the pin out.
I used the old vaseline trick with epoxy.

I love meteorite and your blade looks really cool. Meteorite can rust easily, so I'm guessing you treated it. Now make a folder and I'll be in line for one.
thank you.
the meteorite is Aletai from china and I have found that this meteorite likes to retain or keep remnants of it's original widmanstatten structure albeit a bit distorted from the forging process.
I just bought a few books to give a linerlock knife a try if all go's well I might have something by next spring.

Simply stunning. I admire your abilities.
It is amazing that you are using metal from far away and long long ago.
You asked for thoughts on improvements but the only thing I could suggest would be to include meteorite in the handle. Maybe a cross section of one of the other meteorites? Maybe a piece of Esquel if it can be stabilized?

Simply stunning. I admire your abilities.
It is amazing that you are using metal from far away and long long ago.
You asked for thoughts on improvements but the only thing I could suggest would be to include meteorite in the handle. Maybe a cross section of one of the other meteorites? Maybe a piece of Esquel if it can be stabilized?

thank you.
I've been wanting to add meteorite into the handle and plan on doing so sometime i have had issues drilling holes in most iron meteorites the bits like to wander and other times the bits like to follow the path of least resistance and ends up binding then breaking,really dense stuff and the borders of the witmanstatten paterns are where to drill bits like to head for.

I have a nice slice of a lunar meteorite I might look into using as a handle inlay at some point,I will have to look at some lapidary equipment before I can give that a go.
I think automotive clear coat is commonly used to stabilize iron meteorites a quality clear resin might work well for pallasite's

Esquel is a bit out of my price range at the moment but has very clear peridot and would be beautiful to put on a knife handle something to keep in mind and look forward to,thank you for the suggestion.

I use meteorite as well. Do you know what kind? You attached 1095... by what method, forged or weld overlapped or edge connected . Asking because curious how hot the meteorite got, Did art loose Crystal structure? How did you heat treat? Did you get the entire blade to critical? I've tried this but torch heated the edge only. Prortecfted the main meteorite from getting over about 900, or not to red hot. . Curious different ways that work. I've brass brassed the 1095 to meteorite at low femperature that held ok. I've had heated meteorites get fragil and unstable after heating (told what matters most which meteorite is used.) and lost the crystal patterning so sought after. You work looks fine, just asking some technical questions of how you got here. If interested in sharing ideas email at milesofalaska@gmail.com
Pic using Damascus and meteorite brazed with copper and brass. As one option to try.

Attachments

• IMGP0645.JPG
    IMGP0645.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
I use meteorite as well. Do you know what kind? You attached 1095... by what method, forged or weld overlapped or edge connected . Asking because curious how hot the meteorite got, Did art loose Crystal structure? How did you heat treat? Did you get the entire blade to critical? I've tried this but torch heated the edge only. Prortecfted the main meteorite from getting over about 900, or not to red hot. . Curious different ways that work. I've brass brassed the 1095 to meteorite at low femperature that held ok. I've had heated meteorites get fragil and unstable after heating (told what matters most which meteorite is used.) and lost the crystal patterning so sought after. You work looks fine, just asking some technical questions of how you got here. If interested in sharing ideas email at milesofalaska@gmail.com
Pic using Damascus and meteorite brazed with copper and brass. As one option to try.
I will go ahead and send you an email outlining some information and some of the meteorites I use/recommend both as beginner and forge friendly I dont want to talk to openly about somethings because I am working on a book in collaboration with Carlin Bear of ERC knives at the moment and have promissed him I will not speek too openly about the information we are outlining in the book.

Thanks for the email, it was helpful, and understand your knowledge and methods are not free and have value. You do nice work! Just looking at what other knife makers are coming up with here on the forum is motivating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back