Micarta and cocobolo handles

Bobby B

No more Mr. Knife-guy
I am new at this, but want to make up some Micarta handles for on of my knives:eek:
I have worked a fair bit with wood, but never Micarta. Will wood tools work, or should I use something else?

I also have some Cocobolo, and am curious as to what people recommend to finish it?

Thanks,
Rob

wood tools will work, but they'll need resharpening about twice as fast when you would be working hardwood. Micarta is easily polished, but it looks good too with a 600 grit handrubbed finish. If you wanna polish, you can do it with a buffer easily.

When you work micarta, make sure you got some respirator on, and good ventilation, as it stinks like hell (second to ironwood) and is very nasty stuff (bit cancerogene ).

Cocobolo works easier as micarta, but you can't polish it the conventional way, as the paste will fill up the pores. You can better handsand & shape to 600 Grit, the stabilize ( boil some candle wax, stick it in, wait till the coating dissapears get out and sand the excess wax off) This makes the first Millimeter of the wood full of wax, now it's easier to polish.

If you want more info, Feel free to E-mail me.

Greetz and take care, Bart.

Finishing of both is a simple matter of sanding to 400 grit and buffing, no sealant or wax before buffing but a coat of renaissance wax afterward floats out the surface dirt left by buffing.

Has anyone else tried Ballistol. It really works well for me. Just spray is on and wait for the wood to absorb it and then hand buff with a soft cloth.

:eek:
That's a good piece of information to know.
I'll start with Cocobolo, having more wooden experience...
Does Polyurethane work on Cocobolo, or is the wood too oily?
Thanks for the info,
Rob:D

Cocobolo dust is highly irritating to throat and lungs as well. If you use power tools, wear a respirator when working that stuff too.

Back