Micarta Monday - Traditional Knives Only, Please

Good morning, micarta fans!!!
Here's a Boy's Knife in Snakeskin Micarta and 1095
IMO it has a lot going for it! :)

hkJ45Ra.jpg

Silkcarta, mycarta made from many layers of silk. Years ago we use to make and sell wildrags, the silk scarves often worn by cowboys:

om4GlKl.jpg

mCygTyQ.jpg

EQbvqMo.jpg

We made a lot of these as we had access to a special silk that we would buy in the Garment District of Los Angeles (think Tijuana in Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi). It was called sandwashed silk and was extremely popular. Not uncommon to do a show and sell a 150 wildrags! We haven't made them for years and still get calls all the time from customers looking for more. Consequently, we had lots of scraps. There was a local guy that had built a great press for making mycarta and we sent him some scraps and this is what he did. He's since passed away and I'd forgotten about a couple of sheets of material he'd made me. Recently re found them in a box, in an other box of other handle materials under the workbench.

Silkcarta:

EiBBVIQ.jpg

2Zjy1mJ.jpg

pzNxs1n.jpg

Years ago we also use to make wool vests. Same deal find the wool we liked at the Garment District:

4zM310K.jpg

PmSVFXR.jpg

Each handmade here in our shop:

3PNWf4k.jpg

NJBo1wu.jpg

You guessed it. In that same box I found a small sheet of Woolcarta:

iM2ufM2.jpg

0bzMc5i.jpg

MNEqfG8.jpg

Last edited:
Silkcarta, mycarta made from many layers of silk. Years ago we use to make and sell wildrags, the scarves often worn by cowboys:

om4GlKl.jpg

mCygTyQ.jpg

EQbvqMo.jpg

We made a lot of these as we had access to a special silk that we would buy in the Garment District of Los Angeles (think Tijuana in Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi). It was called sandwashed silk and was extremely popular. Not uncommon to do a show and sell a 150 wildrags! We haven't made them for years and still get calls all the time from customers looking for more. Consequently, we had lots of scraps. There was a local guy that had built a great press for making mycarta and we sent him some scraps and this is what he did. He's since passed away and I'd forgotten about a couple of sheets of material he'd made me. Recently re found them in a box, in an other box of other handle materials under the workbench.

Years ago we also use to make wool vests. Same deal find the wool we liked at the Garment District:

4zM310K.jpg

PmSVFXR.jpg

3PNWf4k.jpg

NJBo1wu.jpg

😍🥰 the scarves and vests/waistcoarts!

IF you ever bring them back, PLEASE let me know!
Waistcoats/vests are rather difficult to find with actual pockets for a pocket watch.
Virtually "impossible" to find: an "extra" button hole for a watch chain, or a button hole on the left collar for a short watch chain to carry the pocket watch in the breast pocket.
(FDR, among a few others carried their pocket watch in their waistcoat breast pocket. Not sure if Churchill was one as well.)

(BTW, historically and traditionally single breasted vests/waistcoats are ALWAYS worn bottom button un-buttoned. 😇)

😍🥰 the scarves and vests/waistcoarts!

IF you ever bring them back, PLEASE let me know!
Waistcoats/vests are rather difficult to find with actual pockets for a pocket watch.
Virtually "impossible" to find: an "extra" button hole for a watch chain, or a button hole on the left collar for a short watch chain to carry the pocket watch in the breast pocket.
(FDR, among a few others carried their pocket watch in their waistcoat breast pocket. Not sure if Churchill was one as well.)

(BTW, historically and traditionally single breasted vests/waistcoats are ALWAYS worn bottom button un-buttoned. 😇)
Thank you sir I will!

With ya on the bottom button. Very common in the cowboy world. But not with the girls, even the cowchicks. They always want that bottom one buttoned. They say it looks better. My wife and daughter were on a Facetime call the other day and both started giving me heck cause I was walking around with my bottom snap on my vest undone. Shss don't tell em but it is again as I type. I do it with lots of jackets too.

There's actually a practical reason for it in our world and thats to prevent getting the vest caught over the saddle horn. When I originally designed the vest years ago that was one of my criteria. Cause I've been in that deal. Was dayworking on a mountain ranch and was riding AJ The Wonder Horse and good thing too. We started down this mountain side (think man from Snowy River) after this run away cow. It was cool and I was wearing a zipped up down vest. Most of the time I was leaning way back in the saddle as this steep and rocky mountainside transitioned into more of a cliff. We're at a full run down this, trying to catch that cow, although that wasn't the word I was using to describe her at the moment. Did ya know that a cow is just a lot of trouble wrapped up in a leather bag? Anyhoo, we're dodging trees and boulders and crashing through brush and jumping creek beds and on one of those jumps I leaned forward and dang if that zipped up down vest didn't get caught over the saddle horn. So now were still at 90 mph zig zagging down a cliff dang near and now I'm STUCK! I can't move with the horse I can't help dodge trees, I'm STUCK!! I should be leaning back with the horse and I can't do that either I'm literally tied in place! On a lesser horse than AJ The Wonder Horse, we'd of both crashed into a tree, tripped over a boulder and rolled another 1,000 feet down this mountainside and ended up in a pile at the bottom. Things slowed a bit and I was able to unzip that #$%^^@#@%^& down vest and get unstuck. Caught the cow and took her to the corrals. Just another day. Not! Designed our vests with snaps as the weak point so that folks wouldn't go through what I did. That was 30-35 years ago, I may not be over it yet! We didn't add the button holes until many years later by customer request. If ya got stuck with the snap it would just pop. Prevented the vest from ripping too which is kinda a problem with button holes and buttons.

DCAkRQc.jpg

Last edited:
Silkcarta, mycarta made from many layers of silk. Years ago we use to make and sell wildrags, the silk scarves often worn by cowboys:

om4GlKl.jpg

mCygTyQ.jpg

EQbvqMo.jpg

Silkcarta:

EiBBVIQ.jpg

2Zjy1mJ.jpg

pzNxs1n.jpg

4zM310K.jpg

PmSVFXR.jpg

3PNWf4k.jpg

NJBo1wu.jpg

iM2ufM2.jpg

0bzMc5i.jpg

MNEqfG8.jpg
Nice publication. I really like the handle of the last knife shown. :thumbsup:

Back