MOD Dieter CQD II (review and pic)

Although I received my Masters of Defense Dieter CQD II over a week ago, I wanted to delay reviewing it until I spent some time with it.
Here you'll see a picture of my CQD II along with a MT LCC/DA that I high polished (above the CQD II) and my trusty 2000 Commander BTS (below the CQD II). Hopefully thess 3 knives together will give everyone a decent size comparison.
TacTrio.JPG

Upon receiving the CQD II, my first thought was "I hope the knife is as cool as the box!" Packaging of this knife is very well done. Get one and you'll see what I mean.
There is a nylon sheath included with the CQD II, but in all honesty it looks somewhat gaudy and cheap. Oh well, I don't use nylon sheaths anyhow. I much prefer the pocket clip.
First inspection of the CQDII reveals excellent overall finish. There's no evidence of machining marks whatsoever, and the black anodizing is simply perfect.
Upon opening the knife via well positioned thumbstud, I noticed that the action was overly stiff. I tried loosening the pivot screw several times but couldn't seem to achieve desired results. Finally, I removed the pivot screw with a T6 bit and simply reversed the entire apparatus. So instead of the screw being on the front side of the knife, it's now on the backside with the clip. This leaves the smooth side of the pivot at the front of the knife, giving everything a much cleaner look, and best of all it gave me the desired blade opening smoothness instantly. I'm not sure why reversing the pivot pin smoothed things up, but I'm certainly happy that it did! The action is now buttery smooth and a pleasure to manipulate.
I chose the black/partially serrated blade. This blade is absolutely S3 (Scary Scalpel Sharp) right out of the box. I popped a patch of hair off of my forearm with absolute ease, and I could actually see the hairs jumping away!
This knife feels perfectly wonderful in the hand. It's obvious from handling it that a tremendous effort went into the ergonomics; it just feels really RIGHT.
I've been carrying this CQDII as my offhand knife, and it resides inside the left rear waistband where it rides very comfortably and secure. The pocket clip is ambidextrous amd the positioning of the clip allows the CQD II to ride very low profile.
For the past week I have used this knife many times each day. It has assisted me with cutting heavy twine from countless bales of hay, slashing open 30 or so feedsacks per day, opening heavy cardboard boxes, and all of your usual cutting chores. So far the blade shows NO signs of wear nor dulling, and the action is still smooth as silk. This knife is built to incredibly tight tolerances and and displays ZERO blade wobble. It feels as solid as a good fixed blade.
I'm very happy with this little CQD II and I'm quite eager to recommend it to anyone who may be contemplating getting one. If you're having problems locating one for sale since they're so new to the market, try contacting Larry@bladeart.com , and you'll find his 1-800 number at www.bladeart.com . Larry was able to get this Dieter CQD II to me FAST, but that's not surprising; I've always found Larry's service to be second to none. Thanks for this great blade, Larry!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Eric
"The best toys are the ones that you can put an eye out with."

[This message has been edited by Eric Blair (edited 04-15-2001).]

Nice review! Thanks.

This model has the little carbide window breaker doesn't it? Any need to break glass, or just curiosity? Sorry to be ignorant, but does it have a plunge lock, or is it a DA?

Again, nice job on a nice knife.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Good points, Bugs! Yes, it has the Carbide glass breaker which I haven't had the chance to try out yet, but it certainly seems that it would make a wicked pressure-point control instrument. <OUCH!>
And how could I forget the lock?! Yes, it's a plunge lock which feels VERY strong, but MOD takes this one step better by adding a secondary slide lock to the back of the subhilt where the finger grooves are.If you look closely at the above picture you can see the slide lock just above and between the thumbstud and plunge lock button. When you feel that you need added lock strength you just slide the lock forward and it prevents you from accidentally releasing the plunge lock. This may seem like overkill, but it's actually very nice added insurance and safety.

[This message has been edited by Eric Blair (edited 04-15-2001).]

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for that GREAT scan and review! I also have a Commander (albeit with a GREEN-T blade
smile.gif
) and I was considering those other two knives. I am so glad that you posted a comparison pic because I have now come to the conclusion that the LCC and Mark II are too small for me. I still like them though...perhaps the full-sized Duane Dieter would be a better option for me though...incidentally, would you happen to have a close-up scan of the glass breaker?? Also, what about a scan of the MK II from the top and bottom so we can see the thickness of the liners and the secondary lock.

Thanks again and enjoy your new knives!
RL

Awesome pics and review, thanks. Is there any way you could post a pic of looking down at the top of the knife with the blade open? I'm curious as to how wide the handle is in reference to the blade.

Clay

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!
Here's a picture from the top of the little Dieter showing the secondary safety (the square shaped latch located within the thumb grooves) and also the carbide glass breaker at the tail end.
CQDIITop.JPG

The cool thing about this little Dieter is how smooth it is becoming with daily use. It opens as silky as a well oiled LCC, if not more smoothly. This is a great little knife. Treat yourself to one; it's truly a keeper.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Eric Blair (edited 04-16-2001).]

I love my Mk1 model!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

How does the glass breaker work. I have seen this on some other rescue models and have wondered the same question. Looks great though. I have a Ladyhawk and I love it. This looks like it beats it hands down.
Thanks,
Matt

Back