Most innovative multi-tool manufacturer

Who do you consider to be the most innovative multi-tool company? For me it's Leatherman. They have put together such an incredibly diverse product line yet they continue to develop fresh ideas. I'm looking forward to the updated Wave and will probably invest in one. How about the rest of you guys

Leathman gets my vote for "innovation" on the strictly tool end of this. Victorinox for the multi-purpose knife. Both produce very high quality items.

I'll third the Leatherman selection. The PST (first multitool), Wave (First with one-handed blades, contoured handles), Juice (first medium "dress" multitool), and Micra (micro-multitool) were all completely new and led the way in creating new multitool genres.

I think Gerber is next, but some of their "innovations" sacrifice overall utility for the gimmick factor.

SOG.

Best quality, best multi-tools; hands down!

With them, you can buy different tools to interchange and, therefore, customize your own. They have that "gear" system that gives you a stronger grip.

Their tools are easier to fold out if you don't have good fingernails and they don't come out in a cluster.

Their tools, especially screwdrivers, have sharp edges rather than the ones on others that have been polished rounded. (Victorinox is the worst about polishing the heck out of things so their screwdrivers don't have square edges.)

Nice coatings. Excellent customer service.

I'll agree with the above comments about leatherman. Instead of following after they were copied they continued to innovate and diversify the idea of multi-tools.
The upcoming tools are going to keep up that dedication to innovation with high quality knife steel and the new flat driver bits.

IMHO no one has come close to leatherman for quality, innovation and range.

N2

enkidu said:
I'll third the Leatherman selection. The PST (first multitool), Wave (First with one-handed blades, contoured handles), Juice (first medium "dress" multitool), and Micra (micro-multitool) were all completely new and led the way in creating new multitool genres.

I think Gerber is next, but some of their "innovations" sacrifice overall utility for the gimmick factor.

What enkidu said :)

I'll vote Leatherman as well. However, The Leatherman PST is NOT the first multi-tool. Multi-tools predate WWII. Tim Leatherman brought back a good idea, rather than inventing it. There was a good article in Knife World about this.

Leo

LM is probably the most innovatie company, but I think the Spyderco SpydeRench is one of the most innovative tools. Second the LM Crunch.

Ted

Thanks for the correction Lion. I'll have to look that Knife World article up. Oh and I forgot about the LM Crunch. Not completely sure but I think it might have been the first "locking wrench" multitool.

I have to agree that Leatherman has been the greatest overall innovator in multi-tools, but there have been surprising contributions from all over the place. I can think of multiple significant innovations that have come out of Leatherman, Victorinox, SOG, Gerber, Spyderco, and Schrade, just off-hand. One of the reason we have such great multi-tools is that a whole lot of different companies have been pushing the envelope and challenging each other.

--Bob Q

I want to add one other point about LM. I have seen first hand that they pay attention to what customers have to say and make changes based on users' comments. I'm very impressed with the amount of thought and design skill that goes into their products.

One of the reason we have such great multi-tools is that a whole lot of different companies have been pushing the envelope and challenging each other.
That's a very good point. Ford versus Chevy versus Honda means that no company gets complacent, and customers get the benefits.

I give credit to Leatherman for starting the pliers-multi-tool industry, but I think Gerber is more innovative.
I'm not saying Gerber makes better multitools but they have alot of innovative features (the tool locking mechanism, exchangable plier-heads, adjustable wire-cutters on the pliers, saw adapter to accept any jig-saw blade, fiskar scissors, spring-loaded pliers, flick-open pliers, just to name a few).

I also personally prefer Victorinox SAKs but I think Wenger is more innovative.

Good luck,
Allen.

Back