My Grail Knife: The Buck 639 Fieldmate -- A Miniature Buckmaster!

I recently received my own personal Grail Knife as a Christmas Gift, the Buck 639 Fieldmate!

Buck-639-Fieldmate.jpg

Those of you who may be familiar with the Buckmaster 184 and 185 LT may recognize the similar profile of the blade.

The Buck 639 Fieldmate was essentially a miniature Buckmaster sold at a lower pricepoint. The major difference is its size, as the 639 is more in line with the Buck 119 Special Purpose Knife while the Buckmaster was more in line with the Buck 120 General Purpose Knife. Also, the 185 was skeletonized full tang with a polymer coated grip whereas the 639 has a hidden tang with a Kraton (molded elastopolymer) handle.

Buck-119-639.jpg

From what I can gather, (information on this knife is quite scarce online and rather difficult to verify) the Buck 639 Fieldmate was manufactured for just under a decade from about 1986 until 1994, when it was discontinued by Buck in the midst of a lawsuit between Buck and Phrobis -- the designers of the Buckmaster knives -- who claimed the 639 Fieldmate as an unlicensed derivative of their Buckmaster design. Unfortunately, for all the clones of the Buckmaster 184 floating around on the market, nobody ever bothered to make any clones of the 185 LT or the 639 Fieldmate, which is a shame because they're both excellent knives.

The Buck 639 Fieldmate features a 5-½" 425M Stainless Steel clip point blade with sawteeth milled into the spine. Being a derivative of the Buckmaster Knives, these sawteeth were designed for cutting through thin aircraft aluminum and canvas rather than wood, although they can obviously still saw through wood in a pinch.

My particular example has "639<" stamped on the ricosso, with the < being a date code indicating that it was manufactured in 1987, making it an early example of the knife. Later examples have a variety of differences from black rubber handles or black phenolic handles rather than the OD Green Kraton handle featured on mine. In addition, there are other models which lack the sawteeth on the spine, as well as a few special edition one-offs made from leftover blade stock once production had ceased.

While the 639 Fieldmate is thankfully nowhere near as scarce nor expensive as the 185 LT on the used market, it's still harder to come by than a 184, albeit significantly less expensive, so it makes for a decent alternative for those who desire a Buckmaster but don't want to pay hundreds of dollars or purchase a cheap clone like the Rothco Ramster.

I really wish that Buck would bring back these knives, or at the very least offer sawtooth spines as an option for Custom 119s and 120s on their website so that folks could sort of special order something similar.
Yes, I'm aware of the so-called "Buckmaster 2.0 Combat Diver" which is supposedly in development, but it has nothing in common with the original Buckmaster knives aside from the name, and although I might get one if it ever surfaces, (pun intended) it's just not the same thing and wouldn't scratch the itch for me.

Fortunately, the Buck 639 Fieldmate has satisfied my desire to own a Buckmaster knife (even if it isn't quite a Buckmaster) and I'm extremely happy to finally have my hands on one!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Last edited:
I’m guessing you have a fondness for .40 as well…welcome to the forum!

We like pics.

U Uncle Buckmaster Welcome to the forum.

Great choice on knife and even better that your received as a Christmas gift. I only got coal for Christmas, which isn't that bad considering the price of fuel these days. :p I would love to see pictures of your knife and Happy New Year to you as well.

pjsjr pjsjr that one is a beauty.

I enjoy this knife too.
Ro7qnhH.jpg

Last edited:
Where is the picture?!?!?!? ;)

Alas, I'm not a Premium Member so I cannot upload any pics, and I lack a 3rd party Photo Hosting website to link to. I thought about signing up for an imgur profile, but they wanted my phone number, so no.
Besides, I've gone through like two or three image hosting websites over the past two decades, and I can't access any of them anymore because they either went premium, started demanding access to information that I wasn't comfortable providing and they had no legitimate need for, or were converted into social media platforms with lesser features for photo sharing.

If anyone could recommend an unintrusive photo hosting site which doesn't require my name, address, phone number, e-mail address, credit card info, GPS Enabled Social Media profile, and a list of my fears, where I could upload/share pics with no strings attached, then I'm all ears.

I’m guessing you have a fondness for .40 as well…welcome to the forum!

We like pics.

Indeed I do! You seem to have me at a disadvantage...

jb4570 jb4570
I sure do, I own a couple Buck 110s and a 120.

I've got to say, I've never heard of this one before, and I'm really impressed! I've heard many mixed comments about the Buckmaster, which does indeed look like a cludge knife to me, but the variant here looks like an absolutely wonderful tool. Maybe they'll bring it back someday?

Anyway, enjoy your knives, gentlemen!

My sentiments exactly, the 639 Fieldmate essentially took all of the best features of the Buckmaster knives and incorporated them into a more practical design. Unfortunately, I doubt that they'll ever bring it back, the most that we can hope for is that someday they make saw teeth an option for their semi-custom knife builds, so that it's possible to more or less approximate the 639 by ordering a 119 with saw teeth/serrations on the spine.

Wow those are true beauties and a pleasure to see! Tempting to get away from "utilitarian" to a couple of safe queens. I believe in both using and collector types.

Wow those are true beauties and a pleasure to see! Tempting to get away from "utilitarian" to a couple of safe queens. I believe in both using and collector types.

I prefer to use my knives, but I'll make an exception for rare discontinued knives like the 639.

Imgbb.com requires no info to upload pics, no account necessary.

Thank you very much, I'll look into that!

I believe you can post pictures from your phone with a $10 basic membership.

I recently received my own personal Grail Knife as a Christmas Gift, the Buck 639 Fieldmate!

Buck-639-Fieldmate.jpg

Those of you who may be familiar with the Buckmaster 184 and 185 LT may recognize the similar profile of the blade.

The Buck 639 Fieldmate was essentially a miniature Buckmaster sold at a lower pricepoint. The major difference is its size, as the 639 is more in line with the Buck 119 Special Purpose Knife while the Buckmaster was more in line with the Buck 120 General Purpose Knife. Also, the 185 was skeletonized full tang with a polymer coated grip whereas the 639 has a hidden tang with a Kraton (molded elastopolymer) handle.

Buck-119-639.jpg

From what I can gather, (information on this knife is quite scarce online and rather difficult to verify) the Buck 639 Fieldmate was manufactured for just under a decade from about 1986 until 1994, when it was discontinued by Buck in the midst of a lawsuit between Buck and Phrobis -- the designers of the Buckmaster knives -- who claimed the 639 Fieldmate as an unlicensed derivative of their Buckmaster design. Unfortunately, for all the clones of the Buckmaster 184 floating around on the market, nobody ever bothered to make any clones of the 185 LT or the 639 Fieldmate, which is a shame because they're both excellent knives.

The Buck 639 Fieldmate features a 5-½" 425M Stainless Steel clip point blade with sawteeth milled into the spine. Being a derivative of the Buckmaster Knives, these sawteeth were designed for cutting through thin aircraft aluminum and canvas rather than wood, although they can obviously still saw through wood in a pinch.

My particular example has "639<" stamped on the ricosso, with the < being a date code indicating that it was manufactured in 1987, making it an early example of the knife. Later examples have a variety of differences from black rubber handles or black phenolic handles rather than the OD Green Kraton handle featured on mine. In addition, there are other models which lack the sawteeth on the spine, as well as a few special edition one-offs made from leftover blade stock once production had ceased.

While the 639 Fieldmate is thankfully nowhere near as scarce nor expensive as the 185 LT on the used market, it's still harder to come by than a 184, albeit significantly less expensive, so it makes for a decent alternative for those who desire a Buckmaster but don't want to pay hundreds of dollars or purchase a cheap clone like the Rothco Ramster.

I really wish that Buck would bring back these knives, or at the very least offer sawtooth spines as an option for Custom 119s and 120s on their website so that folks could sort of special order something similar.
Yes, I'm aware of the so-called "Buckmaster 2.0 Combat Diver" which is supposedly in development, but it has nothing in common with the original Buckmaster knives aside from the name, and although I might get one if it ever surfaces, (pun intended) it's just not the same thing and wouldn't scratch the itch for me.

Fortunately, the Buck 639 Fieldmate has satisfied my desire to own a Buckmaster knife (even if it isn't quite a Buckmaster) and I'm extremely happy to finally have my hands on one!

Happy New Year, everyone!
My 639 has a "\" marking, which indicates 1994. I think that means it was in 420HC rather than 425M. That was the year the backsaw cutter broke, so it has a serrated clip point, but no backsaw. I have a 1981 119 that is apparently in 425M, just for that year or two.

I was searching for 112's on the Bay about a year ago and one popped up with a black rubberized handle with a BIN of $35.00 with shipping..I kept it on my desk for almost a month until a fellow Buck collector absolutely had to have it lolo!

Love that knife! A buddy had one when we went hunting around 1990, and I really admired it. Have never seen one since and didn’t know the name to go looking for. Something jogged my memory and I found this thread on a whim.
Thanks for posting it!

Back