My ZT 0560 Review

Nice review. I'm really liking my 0561 as well. When I first got it the detent was so weak the blade would almost fall open but ZT fixed me up with a replacement. I have a blem 0560 on the way from Kershawguy as well. I'll probably try some mods to that one. These things are addictive!

I found that the little bit of lock stickiness went away pretty quickly with use, hopefully that will be the case with yours as well.

I would go head over heels if they redesigned the 0560 with an internal stop pin and got rid of the external blade stops. I think knives without studs look so much cleaner.

I'm used to using a thumb stud because I've been using a Blur and it sort of trains your hand for that kind of deployment with the ramped stud. I can't get my 561 to open all the way with the flipper alone, although that might be because my little Leek viciously cut my index finger and it hasn't healed yet. Really glad there are both options.

Thanks for the tip about the black scale mod.

Here's my contribution to make the ZT the perfect EDC for me - wave mod! :D

View attachment 316120

Try it, you like it. Works better than any other waved knife I have, much smaller draw motion required and if not waved still has the flipper function if needed. Best of both worlds.

Thanks for the tip! Just moded my 3 day old 0560. Works like a charm. Just waiting for the battery to charge so I can clean it up.

7AB3146F-E353-4DBA-989E-23490C103103-17938-00000E3E8F5A3B40_zps0ff52266.jpg

95A25D8E-74CD-4581-B43A-F7B2A27EF25C-17938-00000E3E8BEBAC92_zps5100b688.jpg

A1AAA7E1-5C8E-4FDF-9914-84CF8AA7B1B8-17938-00000E3E88A55DCF_zps78a0224a.jpg

Last edited:
Check out what Mr. T said about that, Mr. Nice: Link: "I suppose I need to explain the detent portion of the 0560, and our reasoning behind the set up. After some internal conversation yesterday, we feel we’ve brought forth confusion with this knife. By utilizing the studs as the blade stop, we’re enticing folks to use the studs as a way of opening the knife. The set up (heavy detent) can make the studs difficult if not impossible (for some) to deploy the blade. Inexperience hands will additionally perplex the situation. In retrospect, we should have left the studs off, done up an internal stop pin, and made the 0560 a no doubt flipper…our bad on that one. For those of you that can utilize both the flipper and the studs effectively…we’re happy you’ve found that balance. From a production build perspective it is near impossible for us to repeatedly dial in a 0560 that balances a perfect detent set up to accommodate for both flipping and thumb stud deployment."

wouldn't that take away from the whole Hinderer design. I mean, this is on Hinderer's website:

The fact that the thumb stud locks up against the frame adds an incredible amount of strength to the sideways torque of the blade as the sideways stresses are being stopped by the whole handle side, thus relieving the stress that would normally be put on the pivot.

What purpose does that mod serve, or is it cosmetic? Thanks for your time.
It's called a "wave", so when the knife is getting pulled out of the pocket and backwards, the wave catches on the corner of the pocket and deploys the blade.

It's called a "wave", so when the knife is getting pulled out of the pocket and backwards, the wave catches on the corner of the pocket and deploys the blade.

What a clever idea, will have to check out some YouTube vids on it. I would never have guessed its purpose, though I did know it was not a bottle opener LOL ;)

Thanks for the tip about the black scale mod.

Here's my contribution to make the ZT the perfect EDC for me - wave mod! :D

Try it, you like it. Works better than any other waved knife I have, much smaller draw motion required and if not waved still has the flipper function if needed. Best of both worlds.

That's a really slick looking wave. What did you use to make the mod?

I really like the way you've done that modification. Here's mine. I started to do it like yours but the drill press gave me problems and I had to modify the approach. I have smoothed the bump a bit more, and may continue to work on it.

IMG00030-20130702-2032.jpg

Back